Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Florin Andone season-long loan to Galatasaray

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yup, Ashley Barnes got a 7 game ban for tripping a ref. At the time our other strikers were, Hoskins and CMS. Both injured and Ulloa. I'm guessing most here would forgive and forget this and take him back.

Players get sent off all the time, you can't kick someone out of a club for it.

Though of course, it's not just one sending off. There's more to it than that

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Not sure if you’re on a wind up or not, but just in case you’re not I’ll reply. You seem to be disputing the idea that a new manager would want to give all his new players a chance. Can I therefore assume you think the only reasonable courses of action for Graham would have been a) dump Andone before he had seen him kick a ball or b) keep him, play him and persist with him indefinitely? Because you clearly find the idea of a manager having a look at a player before getting rid absurd.

Maybe I’ve gone mad, but to me the idea of a new manager arriving at a club with three attackers in an established pecking order of ABC only to find a few weeks later that his view is they are in fact CAB or CBA is entirely reasonable.

But surely he did have the opportunity to look at Andone in pre-season training and friendlies. He obviously saw enough to name him in the 25 man squad and to give him game time in each of our first four games only to (inexplicably) loan him out after the transfer window slammed shut. To me, that is what is absurd.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
But surely he did have the opportunity to look at Andone in pre-season training and friendlies. He obviously saw enough to name him in the 25 man squad and to give him game time in each of our first four games only to (inexplicably) loan him out after the transfer window slammed shut. To me, that is what is absurd.

Manager's got too many sidekicks whispering in his ear IMHO

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Potter simply doesn’t do red cards, ill discipline and the like. He absolutely smashed the the FairPlay League last season:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/fairnesstabelle/wettbewerb/GB2/saison_id/2018

Andone did one of the worst things he could have done in the eyes of the Manager, absolutely no surprise he has been moved on now. Potterball has no room for Andone’s temperamental misdemeanours.

Andone has always played "on the edge". That is the kind of player he is. We saw flashes of his temper last year. Not in any way trying to defend his red card tackle, it was shocking but it was coming. Surely GP would have known what kind of player he is and what is temperament was like by watching videos and speaking to other players / coaching staff.

I'm not saying that GP should not have moved him on. I'm saying he made a big mistake in not doing so earlier so we had the opportunity to enlist a replacement.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I'm not saying that GP should not have moved him on. I'm saying he made a big mistake in not doing so earlier so we had the opportunity to enlist a replacement.

True.

But the decision to keep him could very well have been based along the following lines (think of the tale of the scorpion and the frog here).

Potter’s initial player meetings . . . .

GP: I’ve looked at your record and we can’t have anymore ill discipline or red cards or you’re out. Understand?

FA: No problem boss. I swear I’ll be good from now on, you have nothing to worry about. Hell, I’ll even score against Watford if you play me.

GP: There’s a good lad.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Amazing... we have painted ourselves into a corner. We should have brought in a striker in the summer if we were going to let both Big Jurg and FA go. P1ss poor management...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Andone has always played "on the edge". That is the kind of player he is. We saw flashes of his temper last year. Not in any way trying to defend his red card tackle, it was shocking but it was coming. Surely GP would have known what kind of player he is and what is temperament was like by watching videos and speaking to other players / coaching staff.

Or a fair-minded GP gave Andone the benefit of the doubt, a fresh start, only to be let down by his unprovoked assault. Going in late on another Stains player ten minutes before that, showed Andone wasn’t right on the day.

Perhaps Andone engineered it all, to move clubs?

When the transfer window was open, GP didn’t have a clue that Andone was going to let the club down.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Sorry, dipping in and out of the thread, so this may have been suggested in response to all these conspirational suggestions... is it not simply possible that when the window was open we had no idea galatassaray were going to come in for Andone, so didn't think we'd need to replace him? Then when the window closed they made an offer, and the deal was good for us and for Andone. Having seen Andone and the rest of the squad in games/training since taking over Potter then looked at the good Andone brought and what of that needs to be and can be replaced by the rest of the squad (maybe with coaching, maybe with taking a chance on others). Also looked at what can't be replaced, and any bad Andone brought that would be taken away. He then balanced it all out and agreed to let the deal happen?

Last edited:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Sorry, dipping in and out of the thread, so this may have been suggested in response to all these conspirational suggestions... is it not simply possible that when the window was open we had no idea galatassaray were going to come in for Andone, so didn't think we'd need to replace him, then when the window closed they made an offer, and the deal was good for us and for Andone, and having seen Andone and the rest of the squad in games/training since taking over Potter looked at the good Andone brought and what of that needs to be and can be replaced can by the rest of the squad (maybe with coaching, maybe with taking a chance on others), what can't be replaced, and any bad he brought that would be taken away and balanced it all out and agreed to let the deal happen?

Are you on the NSC plan where you have to pay for full stops?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Are you on the NSC plan where you have to pay for full stops?

Why on earth are you quoting people's posts, then taking out the full stops, editing it slightly, then making some quip about the punctuation you forced on it? Seems a silly thing to do to me. But what do I know.

:angel:

His goal scoring record per minutes played is very good. Most of us were relieved that Locadia went but Andone going without a replacement is genuine headless chicken stuff from the club. No Trossard against Burnley and Newcastle and suddenly we are looking leaden footed up front again

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
His goal scoring record per minutes played is very good. Most of us were relieved that Locadia went but Andone going without a replacement is genuine headless chicken stuff from the club. No Trossard against Burnley and Newcastle and suddenly we are looking leaden footed up front again
All my years supporting Albion I can say it’s hardly ever boring. Personally can’t wait to see how GP deals with this one.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Lucky for Florin that Cenk Tosun turned Galatasaray down because of the Besiktas rivalry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here