Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Man City: Post Match Press Conferences

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Pep's praise was utterly genuine, so much more than the customary "they are a good team and we had to work hard to beat them". Yet we still have folk on here doggedly saying we are no better than last year.

el punal

Pep's praise was utterly genuine, so much more than the customary "they are a good team and we had to work hard to beat them". Yet we still have folk on here doggedly saying we are no better than last year.

Maybe the same folk who don’t go to matches. The performances have vastly improved, the luck and the results haven’t. In both the West Ham and Southampton games we were definitely the better side, even acknowledged by the opposition fans, carry on as we are playing and the results will come.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Assuming you can decifer English to the extent of understanding those two PC's, one would have to assume some folk are just doggedly stubborn. Or stupid.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Assuming you can decifer English to the extent of understanding those two PC's, one would have to assume some folk are just doggedly stubborn. Or stupid.
Do I need to decipher decifer? Is it code?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Maybe the same folk who don’t go to matches. The performances have vastly improved, the luck and the results haven’t. In both the West Ham and Southampton games we were definitely the better side, even acknowledged by the opposition fans, carry on as we are playing and the results will come.

Not until we get over our lack of goals

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Maybe the same folk who don’t go to matches......

Nope, well certainly not me, I haven't seen Brighton play at a ground in 30 years. Very hard to do as I now live in Australia and don't get home that much. Frustratingly on the odd occasion I have been back they have been playing away, even more frustrating the Amex is just down the road from Mums. Having them in the PL is so frigging good, I get to watch every game instead of just reading about it.

I think the problem is people don't like change
It's one thing to change a manager, but a wholesale change in style of play is clearly too much for some people to cope with.
I find it amusing all the folk saying we can't have improved otherwise we would be on 9 points. They seem to be forgetting all the times last season we won matches against the play, they are forgetting that you don't have to be best on the ground to win.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Totally agreed. At this stage of the season I genuinely believe it's as much or more about performances than results, in terms of how the season will pan out.

Under Hughton we could see the slow, slow slip performance wise (even whilst still picking up points), and the results began to turn later as we really stagnated.

I can see the opposite this season - we are playing with belief and determination, the results will come as we continue to click and settle further into this style of play.

Last edited:

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
[MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] Yeah for sure, we were winning matches in spite of ourselves, I was hearing all the top ten nonsense and thinking this bubble is gonna burst and it most certainly did. This time around it is the opposite

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia

Mmmmm that is what he meant by "the luck ...hasn't" we have certainly been making clear chances. The talent is certainly there, Trossard's disallowed goal against the Hammers for example, if only he had done the same on the weekend and hit it first time.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I particularly like this tid bit from the Manchester Evening news article titled “Why more teams should play like Brighton”

“That is why they create some problems that normally we don’t have. But we did well. Sometimes the opponent is good, too. When I say this team is good, the people don’t believe me but that is the truth.”

Yes it’s easy to be gracious when you’ve won 4-0 and yes even easier to suggest more teams should play like that when you’ve just creamed one that did 4-0 but it’s his point that football is beautiful when it’s two teams going at each other rather than the park the bus mantra.

I can’t remember if it was on here or twitter but was engaged in conversation about the likely outcome and how we should play and i really did like what i saw.

I suggested it would be more valuable to try and hurt a team like City and therefore come away psychologically knowing you can even if the net result was an aggregate 4 goal loss. In actuality I think had we tucked away one or two of the gilt edged chances we DID create then it probably would have ended in only a 2 goal loss.

GP has stated today they decided to use it as an opportunity to experiment and allow freedom and for Guardiola to say what he did suggests not only did it work but the experiment was a success in that respect.

Personally I’d rather we played like that away from home even if it means losing heavily because against lesser teams or teams there for the taking it will work.

Last season away from home we played 19, W 3, D 4 L 12 for a return of 13 points.

Let’s say this season’s approach makes more of the losses heavier BUT we W5, D2 and L12. We end up with a return of 17 points. Not only will we have been much more attractive not only just to watch - and therefore hopefully higher up the MOTD running order - we will stand a much better chance of staying up comfortably. One would also hope psychologically the team are in a better place to perform better generally across the season.

I’m all for it.

el punal

Of course. The luck bit I alluded to were the VAR decisions. Yes, they were right but had VAR not been introduced and we relied on the match officials ruling we could possibly be talking about having six points for the games against West Ham and Southampton rather than one. At least we “scored” on those occasions. Still early days but I’m optimistic for the future.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here