image.jpeg

Hove lawns :eek:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yep, Hove Lawns is full of do as you likeys. Noticed this morning on my run and they weren't there yesterday. Typical scumbag tactic, arrive on a Sunday when the courts are closed. Probably gone by Wednesday by when the lawns will look like a cross between a nappy factory and a nuclear attack.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Well done to the council for making these folk welcome ,.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/9453923.travellers-offer-thanks-to-brighton/:)

Travellers offer thanks to Brighton

Illegally parked travellers have thanked council officials for their kindness, saying they have been treated better in Brighton and Hove than anywhere else.

A group of Irish travellers who have set up an illegal camp in the car park of the Waterhall playing fields, close to the junction of the A27, said they were incredibly grateful to Brighton and Hove City Council for their help.

The travellers spoke as it emerged four illegal encampments of caravans had sprung up in the city this week.

Typically travellers come into the city in the summer, leaving as the weather gets colder.

But over the Christmas and New Year period a number arrived.

Travellers’camps are currently located at Brighton Racecourse just north of Manor Hill, in the Duke’s car park at the entrance to Stanmer Park, the Pavilion car park at Waterhall, and at Black Rock.

The Brighton Racecourse travellers were previously staying at Sheepcote Valley, off Wilson Avenue, but were moved on after Brighton and Hove City Council was granted a possession order in the county court.

Prayers of thanks

Traveller 35-year-old John O’Leary, from Ireland, explained that he and his family were parked off Waterhall while visiting relatives who lived in the permanent travellers’ site at Horsdean, Patcham.

Mr O’Leary, who said they had been on the site for about two weeks and would probably move on Sunday, said: “The council has been so helpful. We’ve said a prayer for the council.

“We are all so thankful that they have been so welcoming.

“They have let us use the toilets and brought bins down which have been regularly emptied.”

A city council spokesman said: “Some of the travellers from Sheepcote Valley are now occupying racecourse land.

“This is private land and the unauthorised encampment will be dealt with by the landowner."

The encampment on Madeira Drive is being monitored by the authority and Sussex Police.

A court order to have the Waterhall travellers moved on has been secured the the authority is applying for a separate order so it could clear the caravans at Stanmer Park.

Ben Duncan, the council’s cabinet member for communities, equalities and public protection, said the large numbers of travellers currently in the city indicated there was a need for a second permanent travellers’ site.

Ben Duncan, the council’s cabinet member for communities, equalities and public protection, said the large numbers of travellers currently in the city indicated there was a need for a second permanent travellers’ site.

He said: “It is very difficult for travellers. It is difficult if you are on an illegal encampment. It proves the need for some sort of permanent provision.”

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Where are all the Under Armor-clad ladies that lunch going to do their morning calisthenics, jogging and rolling around on large balls before rushing home to relieve the nanny now? God forbid they have to exercise in BN1, or horror of horrors...towards BN42/3 :eek:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Wish the council would empty my bins, not been emptied in over 4 weeks Brighton & Hove City Council continues to be not fit for purpose, what’re colour.

We had similar up in Queens Park. Spent a bit of time last weekend, and this, taking recycling and rubbish up to the bins by the Pepper Pot.

Bit of an arse but convenient that the option is there. Imagine it'd be a right pain if no local rubbish points around.

The most frustrating thing is you can report a missed collection on the website and you hear nothing back. Email them, nothing. Phone them? "We are currently experiencing a high volume of calls, please try contacting us online".

Shambles.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
We had similar up in Queens Park. Spent a bit of time last weekend, and this, taking recycling and rubbish up to the bins by the Pepper Pot.

Bit of an arse but convenient that the option is there. Imagine it'd be a right pain if no local rubbish points around.

The most frustrating thing is you can report a missed collection on the website and you hear nothing back. Email them, nothing. Phone them? "We are currently experiencing a high volume of calls, please try contacting us online".

Shambles.

And they've changed the online reporting from a few years ago, when you could log a missed collection on each day they fail to turn up, now you can only log once, until they miss the next scheduled collection. No doubt the figures look better, if only the streets looked better

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
Apr 5, 2014
Well done to the council for making these folk welcome ,.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/9453923.travellers-offer-thanks-to-brighton/:)

Illegally parked travellers have thanked council officials for their kindness, saying they have been treated better in Brighton and Hove than anywhere else.

A group of Irish travellers who have set up an illegal camp in the car park of the Waterhall playing fields, close to the junction of the A27, said they were incredibly grateful to Brighton and Hove City Council for their help.

The travellers spoke as it emerged four illegal encampments of caravans had sprung up in the city this week.

Typically travellers come into the city in the summer, leaving as the weather gets colder.

But over the Christmas and New Year period a number arrived.

Travellers’camps are currently located at Brighton Racecourse just north of Manor Hill, in the Duke’s car park at the entrance to Stanmer Park, the Pavilion car park at Waterhall, and at Black Rock.

The Brighton Racecourse travellers were previously staying at Sheepcote Valley, off Wilson Avenue, but were moved on after Brighton and Hove City Council was granted a possession order in the county court.

Prayers of thanks

Traveller 35-year-old John O’Leary, from Ireland, explained that he and his family were parked off Waterhall while visiting relatives who lived in the permanent travellers’ site at Horsdean, Patcham.

Mr O’Leary, who said they had been on the site for about two weeks and would probably move on Sunday, said: “The council has been so helpful. We’ve said a prayer for the council.

“We are all so thankful that they have been so welcoming.

“They have let us use the toilets and brought bins down which have been regularly emptied.”

A city council spokesman said: “Some of the travellers from Sheepcote Valley are now occupying racecourse land.

“This is private land and the unauthorised encampment will be dealt with by the landowner."

The encampment on Madeira Drive is being monitored by the authority and Sussex Police.

A court order to have the Waterhall travellers moved on has been secured the the authority is applying for a separate order so it could clear the caravans at Stanmer Park.

He said: “It is very difficult for travellers. It is difficult if you are on an illegal encampment. It proves the need for some sort of permanent provision.”

Ben Duncan left the council years ago. Why are you posting this as if it is current ?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
Apr 5, 2014

Shambles.

I live by the park. Those bins are always full.

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
I had a weird situation in my Close (Portslade) last week. My grey recycling bin hadn’t been emptied, nor had anyone else’s. I filled in the BH council ‘missed collection’ online form. I came home from work next day to find that my bin had been emptied, but only mine! I checked, everyone else still had rubbish in theirs! I felt quite embarrassed, it wasn’t even full.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No mention from the luvvy politicians who want our city to welcome the thieves and those who extort money from pensioners.

The Irish Republic got it right when they very deliberately made trespass a criminal offence. The knock on effect, the families moved across the Irish Sea to set up in easy touch UK.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here