Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Duffy and Dunk and of an era?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Duffy is a brilliant defender and is great at many things, passing and playing out from the back are not two of them.

Webster looked really assured on the ball and that run out of defence that led to the injury, was very impressive.

Was yesterday the silent passing of a mini era, the Duffy and Dunk era is over?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As two of the first names on the team sheet, yes I do think it is. However, apart from Ryan and Dunk I don’t think anyone is now a must play first teamer. Just maybe Stephens and Montoya until the Greyhound is back. Really looking forward to seeing him in this set up

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I expect it will be mixed up according to the opposition. Dunk and Duffy would probably be first choice in a flat back 4 but as that system is out of favour and the 3 CB's require them to be competent on the ball with good passing skills, it'll probably be Duffy who misses out most.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
As two of the first names on the team sheet, yes I do think it is. However, apart from Ryan and Dunk I don’t think anyone is now a must play first teamer. Just maybe Stephens and Montoya until the Greyhound is back. Really looking forward to seeing him in this set up

Yeah Potters mentioned him a couple of times, clearly has plans for him.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Duffy is probably the least comfortable with the ball at his feet. Even I can read his passes most of the time.
He did play a long diagonal v Southampton that Maldini would have been proud of, but beyond the odd 'hens tooth' he's is the very epitome of 'keep it simple stupid'.
At which point all his solid defensive (and attacking) attributes come to the fore.

A squad without Duffy is a considerably weaker squad.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Duffy is probably the least comfortable with the ball at his feet. Even I can read his passes most of the time.

:lolol:

Also he looks like an accident waiting to happen - nippy opponent coming up on the blind side nicking the ball of his feet as he ponders a hoof....hasn't happened yet this season but only a matter of time.

Still, as others have said, he'll get games. Personally I have no fondness for a 'era' typified by last ditch defending. I'd rather we go beyond pluckiness.

One Teddy Maybank

Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He did play a long diagonal v Southampton that Maldini would have been proud of, but beyond the odd 'hens tooth' he's is the very epitome of 'keep it simple stupid'.
At which point all his solid defensive (and attacking) attributes come to the fore.

This all day long....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
If Duffy goes, we better get £25m plus for him.
His weaknesses maybe exposed in potterball but he has plenty of strengths and would be a real asset to a backs to the ball team.

LVGull

May 13, 2016
If Duffy goes, we better get £25m plus for him.
His weaknesses maybe exposed in potterball but he has plenty of strengths and would be a real asset to a backs to the ball team.

Blimey I just nearly choked on my sausage.

Acker79

Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I didn't see the game. Was Webster any good? I mean, you look at the 4-0 and question if it worked, but then remember it was Man City and Webster's first league appearance, so don't want to read much into it.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
:lolol:

Also he looks like an accident waiting to happen - nippy opponent coming up on the blind side nicking the ball of his feet as he ponders a hoof....hasn't happened yet this season but only a matter of time.

Still, as others have said, he'll get games. Personally I have no fondness for a 'era' typified by last ditch defending. I'd rather we go beyond pluckiness.

That ‘era’ got us promoted to the premier league let’s not forget!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

You could also add our attacking threat is weaker considering the number of goals he was second highest scorer last season

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Blimey I just nearly choked on my sausage.

Webster - one very good season in championship. No premier league or international experience. £22m
Maguire - england international, season and half outstanding in premier league. £80m
Bissaka - one very strong season in premier league. £50m
Duffy - several very good seasons in championship. Regular international, regular in premier league with some strong performances...why not £25m?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
As automaters, possibly.

I guess it depends on what Potter values higher - defensive ability or ability on the ball. Against a team like city it makes sense to have three ball players. Against a side like Burnley it makes sense to have Duffy.

Personally I'd play him in more games than I wouldn't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here