Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Another mass shooting across the pond

Got into an argument with an American yesterday about guns. I don’t know why I get involved.

He’s adamant that the reduction in crime over recent years is due to the increase in gun ownership. He thinks America has much more dangerous criminals due to the drug cartels.

I don’t get why so many of them are unwilling to countenance that untold amounts of guns are a bad thing. They aren’t idiots, but on this topic they appear to have been totally brainwashed

We all know the USA has one of the most diverse populations on the planet. They have some of the brightest individuals but also a great mass of ignorant individuals emboldened by the rhetoric of Trump.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Got into an argument with an American yesterday about guns. I don’t know why I get involved.

He’s adamant that the reduction in crime over recent years is due to the increase in gun ownership. He thinks America has much more dangerous criminals due to the drug cartels.

I don’t get why so many of them are unwilling to countenance that untold amounts of guns are a bad thing. They aren’t idiots, but on this topic they appear to have been totally brainwashed
Just like religion, easy to see it from the outside

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
There's no reason to suspect if we didn't have similar access to guns as the Americans, we'd have issues of mass shootings..

But you don't. So you haven't. The fundamental depravity of mankind one cannot legislate away. The lethatlity of weapons, and their availability, you can.

The idiots I'm trapped with over on this side of the Atlantic are confinced that because you can't do the first, you shouldn't even attempt the second.
It's like refusing to produce any antibiotics at all because some common bacteria exist in antibiotic-resistant form

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
But you don't. So you haven't. The fundamental depravity of mankind one cannot legislate away. The lethatlity of weapons, and their availability, you can.

The idiots I'm trapped with over on this side of the Atlantic are confinced that because you can't do the first, you shouldn't even attempt the second.
It's like refusing to produce any antibiotics at all because some common bacteria exist in antibiotic-resistant form

I wouldn’t be surprised if they started giving everyone nukes. Given that they are so certain that more guns = more safety. And if they didn’t all have guns then it would only be the crimmos with guns

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I wouldn’t be surprised if they started giving everyone nukes. Given that they are so certain that more guns = more safety. And if they didn’t all have guns then it would only be the crimmos with guns

This was satirised by 'not the nine o'clock news'. In 1981.

We are living in a post-satire world.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It is a sad day when English folk are laughing at a mass shooting in America. And yet I find it hard to be outraged about that.

As noted on many occasions, people get the government (and the laws) they deserve.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Actually I am beginning to think that rather than offer thoughts and prayers, we should laugh at them. Laugh at the stupid dead and the soppy bereaved. Maybe that might make them think a bit more about their rights to carry arms being more important than a dead child. :shrug:

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Astonishing news breaking from Jersey City. Two active shooters, police officers among four or more casualties. Listening to the real-time scanner is crazy. A city centre turned into a warzone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here