Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How do you feel about the Potter revolution thus far?

How do you rate the Potter revolution thus far?

• Very happy

Votes: 123 22.9%
  • Happy

Votes: 264 49.3%
  • So-so

Votes: 127 23.7%
  • Unhappy

Votes: 20 3.7%
  • Very unhappy

Votes: 2 0.4%

• Total voters

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
LOL! You can't play an attacking possession based game and not have that risk. Look at all the top clubs that you do it and those goals happen.

You can do, you just need to be able to identify when it's too risky and not keep blindly shifting the problem on. If you play every ball around your own penalty area it becomes predictable and easy to defend. We need to vary our play

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
You can do, you just need to be able to identify when it's too risky and not keep blindly shifting the problem on. If you play every ball around your own penalty area it becomes predictable and easy to defend. We need to vary our play

Completely agree with this. Of late, we haven't been playing balls out directly wide to the wing backs, nor attempting a long one. They need to be unpredictable, otherwise we're just reverting to the predictability we had under Hughton.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Im still happy, thank you.
50 years of being emotionally involved with the club, it always hurts when we drop points, used destroy my weekend, learnt how to hide it over the years.
Never impressed with twats saying how bad we are, we're going down, sack the manager. Clearly your not emotionally involved with the club yet.
When you are, you will accept the rises and the falls. Supporters that signed for long term will know that.
Sadly I still feel disappointed if we don't win, no matter what opposition. But at the end of the season I'm a realist, if we tried and played well then I proud of you.
If we were crap, so be it, there's nothing I can do. Sad for a couple of weeks and then the next season starts. It's a football rollercoaster that every true fan of any club plays.

I appreciate that opinion on the forum is how it works, but sadly to some of us, continuous negativity hurts, when we are already hurting by a result or decision that didn't go our way.
So stop being an anonymous internet warrior and perhaps become a Brighton & Hove Albion fan, it's a wonderful love affair... just don't tell the misses, actually I think she knows, big time. Plenty of love to share I guess.
All of that.

:thumbsup:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
:lolol:

Mouthing off?

I agree the lack of goals is also a worry. However, when we had a full compliment of players we were creating plenty of chances. I'm relatively confident that when the injured players come back we will create a similar number of chances and will start taking them.

The injuries haven't affected the defense so much unless you think March is the defensive lynch pin? I think the back three, as a unit, have looked vulnerable from day one. Anyone that runs at them causes havoc and teams have been able to play through and behind them surprisingly easily. I'm hoping it's just teething trouble as the players adapt to not just a new formation but style of play.

Nonetheless, it is the defense that is, for me, the most worrying aspect of our performances this season.

After 7 games;
2017 GA 9
2018 GA 13
2019 GA 10

We've now already played Man City and Chelsea away. I agree, of course there are teething problems with a) a completely new system and manager and b) new players, but not sure why the defense is any more or less concerning than other areas of the pitch?

We barely gave Southampton (even with 10 players) or Burnley a sniff in those games and they scored with solitary shots on target and right at the death. West Ham, we'd have won with a bit more composure in front of goal, and they're looking like a top 8 side this season.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
After 7 games;
2017 GA 9
2018 GA 13
2019 GA 10

We've now already played Man City and Chelsea away. I agree, of course there are teething problems with a) a completely new system and manager and b) new players, but not sure why the defense is any more or less concerning than other areas of the pitch?

We barely gave Southampton (even with 10 players) or Burnley a sniff in those games and they scored with solitary shots on target and right at the death. West Ham, we'd have won with a bit more composure in front of goal, and they're looking like a top 8 side this season.

It's concerning because to me it looks the area of the team that has struggled the most with the transition to the new style. I feel that as a defensive unit the back three doesn't look particularly solid in its positioning and decision making.

The reason that we haven't given teams too many chances is because of us dominating the ball, not because the back three have been snuffing out danger left right and centre. It worries me that despite dominating possession and barely giving other teams a sniff the sniff we give them is a really good chance.

We've conceded six against Man City and Chelsea but really it could easily have been double that. City were in cruise control from the second minute and Chelsea missed a hatful of decent chances. Those games, for me, were clear examples of the frailty of our defense(at the moment) when we aren't dominating the ball.

The rest of our play, when we have most players fit at least, doesn't concern me as much. We keep the ball well and create chances. As long as we keep creating chances I think we'll be fine. I think we have enough in the attacking areas to start converting those chances.

I understand it's a new formation and requires time for the players to learn their roles particularly when they would have spent most if not all of their footballing lives playing in a four man defense. Nonetheless its the part of the team that, in my opinion, requires the most work.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's concerning because to me it looks the area of the team that has struggled the most with the transition to the new style. I feel that as a defensive unit the back three doesn't look particularly solid in its positioning and decision making.

The reason that we haven't given teams too many chances is because of us dominating the ball, not because the back three have been snuffing out danger left right and centre. It worries me that despite dominating possession and barely giving other teams a sniff the sniff we give them is a really good chance.

We've conceded six against Man City and Chelsea but really it could easily have been double that. City were in cruise control from the second minute and Chelsea missed a hatful of decent chances. Those games, for me, were clear examples of the frailty of our defense(at the moment) when we aren't dominating the ball.

The rest of our play, when we have most players fit at least, doesn't concern me as much. We keep the ball well and create chances. As long as we keep creating chances I think we'll be fine. I think we have enough in the attacking areas to start converting those chances.

I understand it's a new formation and requires time for the players to learn their roles particularly when they would have spent most if not all of their footballing lives playing in a four man defense. Nonetheless its the part of the team that, in my opinion, requires the most work.

Changing from a 4 to a 3 at the back has to be one of the more dramatic formation changes to adapt to as a footballer. You can do all sorts of things in front of you, but change a 4 to a 3 is huge. What I would say is that we are dominating possession because of going to a back 3, not in spite of it. The reason we have these high possession stats is, and we can call it a risk, having an extra player further forwards.

So I don't disagree with you, those defensive duties when you come under pressure do require work, but in sacrificing a body at the back to have more of the ball to create more chances, I think the biggest mindset change is the speed of our transition from getting into the final third to turning that into a chance on goal. At the moment, it is too slow, too careful, too considered. I feel happy the defenders have enough talent and quality to keep improving. I worry that the speed of our attacks is going to be harder to improve.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Changing from a 4 to a 3 at the back has to be one of the more dramatic formation changes to adapt to as a footballer. You can do all sorts of things in front of you, but change a 4 to a 3 is huge. What I would say is that we are dominating possession because of going to a back 3, not in spite of it. The reason we have these high possession stats is, and we can call it a risk, having an extra player further forwards.

So I don't disagree with you, those defensive duties when you come under pressure do require work, but in sacrificing a body at the back to have more of the ball to create more chances, I think the biggest mindset change is the speed of our transition from getting into the final third to turning that into a chance on goal. At the moment, it is too slow, too careful, too considered. I feel happy the defenders have enough talent and quality to keep improving. I worry that the speed of our attacks is going to be harder to improve.

Yeah, they're good points which I can't disagree with. I guess I'm just a bit of a Hughton at heart, I look to the defense first.

I also have faith that with March/Bernardo, Trossard to come back along with Bissouma and a continually improving Stephens and Propper our attacking transitions will become slicker.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
After 7 games;
2017 GA 9
2018 GA 13
2019 GA 10

Doesn't conceding important goals against two teams who barely had a sniff suggest ropiness at the back?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Doesn't conceding important goals against two teams who barely had a sniff suggest ropiness at the back?

No more than previous seasons, less than last season. Our defense is giving our attack a platform. I think I said there’s room for improvement. It’s the PL, unless you put a side to bed, there is always a moment of quality or luck around the corner.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think we need a new poll, plenty now starting to wobble and question the tactics I see

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Im still really really pleased with what I am seeing.

just need to get our attacking players back fit really..

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think we have seen the pattern for the first half of the season. We will continue to learn/perfect the new playing style under potter. We will lose and draw a few we should win and celebrate some brilliant performances.

My hope is that the second half of the season will see us become more and more consistent and our points per game improve.

Next season we add more quality to further improve....... then who knows where things will take us.

Further on into the future my hope is that Potter will have become so successful with us that one of the big teams home or abroad poach him and he hits the dizzy heights.

Then we start again (hopefully from much further up the league this time).

Maybe we can one day emulate Leicester and look to break into the European places. (Hopefully they will have sorted the Europa League out by then and it will becomes a competition worth competing in).

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Im still happy, thank you.
Never impressed with twats saying how bad we are, we're going down, sack the manager. Clearly your not emotionally involved with the club yet.
When you are, you will accept the rises and the falls. ....
Sadly I still feel disappointed if we don't win, no matter what opposition. But at the end of the season I'm a realist, if we tried and played well then I proud of you.

I appreciate that opinion on the forum is how it works, but sadly to some of us, continuous negativity hurts, when we are already hurting by a result or decision that didn't go our way.
So stop being an anonymous internet warrior and perhaps become a Brighton & Hove Albion fan, it's a wonderful love affair... ...

spot on mate :thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here