Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How do you feel about the Potter revolution thus far?

How do you rate the Potter revolution thus far?

• Very happy

Votes: 123 22.9%
  • Happy

Votes: 264 49.3%
  • So-so

Votes: 127 23.7%
  • Unhappy

Votes: 20 3.7%
  • Very unhappy

Votes: 2 0.4%

• Total voters

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I agree and to dismantle Dunk and Duff is a MASSIVE mistake. They were the reason Brighton are still in the PL. If GP is driving that team selection he won't suceed. I like the football he is playing but in this league as soon as you smash your foundations then the building will collapse

I think it's more horses for courses. I fully expect to see Duffy back in defence against Burnley, a side where you really need a decent stopper-style CB. But we're playing out from the back and City press you when you do that. Duffy isn't good enough on the ball to do that against City, nor quick enough to recover. Plus, it's not "Dunk 'n' Duffy" now but a three strong back line,

Looking at how we lined up yesterday suggests to me that Duffy will get the gig against more old-school teams but Webster will be facing the likes of Liverpool and also teams like Sheffield United who'll play a similar way to us. And, as is always the case with centre backs, there will eventually be an impact injury or suspension that will change our plans anyway.

jackcgull

Feb 1, 2008
Amersham
Oddly we look better away and worse at home!

We couldn’t possibly look worse at home than the last few months of last season. But I’ve almost eradicated those crushingly disappointing games from my memory.

But yes, away from home we are massively improved, which I think will be definitely give us more points.

A bit more composure from our strikers and we’ll be fine. A little bit of me thinks (dreams) that Connolly might be our Daniel james as the season progresses.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
It all depends how you feel as a supporter, whether you are results driven or entertainment driven.

Both. Rome wasn't built in a day and it may take a while for what Potter is trying to do to click. I've seen enough to instinctively believe both will be satisfied before too long

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Happy that we're playing positive, attacking football. Loving the one-touch passing at pace.
Delighted to see youth being given a chance.
Very impressed with Big Dan Burn, Leandro "Hazard" Trossard and a more forward looking Stephens/Propper midfield axis. Will be great to have Yves Bissouma available as I think he'll flourish under GP.
Two things will see us turn positive performances into points on the board:
1 Precision - our new 'play it out' style makes greater technical demands on our players. It's higher risk, so poor first touches or letting an opponent get the wrong side can often be punished severely. As we've seen, losing the ball in the wrong place or a misplaced pass can see you concede. The technical players will thrive, and the others need to get better at it.
2 Being more clinical - we are creating plenty but we have to take chances. It's ironic that Trossard's skill has helped him create goal scoring opportunities Glenn wouldn't have been able to create, but needed Murray's finishing. Hopefully Maupay will start firing, and Connolly can step up too.
As others have said, it's early days and we're on the right track.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Some lovely play.
Battered Watford - superb.
One point from two home games we should have won - worrying.
Potter needs his strikers to start scoring.
6/10.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
IMHO ..... 3 of the goals against City came as a result of our CBs inability to tackle defenders in dangerous position, granted against the best strikers in the league. .....

IMHO the tactics and set-up with the team naively pushed upfield, caused all the problems. World class forwards will invariably beat non-world class defenders one on one. They shouldn’t haven’t been left vulnerable.

No wonder Guardiola praised us, he must love average teams thinking they can go toe to toe with them in a pure football match. That will always deliver a big ManC win.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
IMHO the tactics and set-up with the team naively pushed upfield, caused all the problems. World class forwards will invariably beat non-world class defenders one on one. They shouldn’t haven’t been left vulnerable.

No wonder Guardiola praised us, he must love average teams thinking they can go toe to toe with them in a pure football match. That will always deliver a big ManC win.

If this is this is the way we play then why not go toe to toe with City. If we’d have taken our chances we’d have been 2-2 just after half time. Absolutely no point in going ultra defensive, we’d have lost anyway. Unfortunately Maupay and Trossard are not putting away their chances and March isn’t helping with his football in the last third.

Who cares if it was 4-0 or 1-0 you get the same number of points and I doubt that performance dented our confidence either

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Where’s the option for “Ecstatic I love watching the Albion play again, SHACKLES OFF”

We’ll be fine but it’s going to be season where are still flirting with relegation as we adjust to being genuine lower PL contenders rather than imposters crapping ourselves whoever we are playing

This, absolutely this. Well said.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
On top of what [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] has said, some people seem to be forgetting that quite a few of our early wins last season were dead frigging lucky. This time around we should have taken all three against WH and probably would have beaten Saints had Andone not been a dick head.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Work in progress. A lot of work. Quite an achievement in changing the style and shape of the team. Squad has undergone radical change and he has ditched those who don’t fit the pattern. I think the league is more competitive than last year so it’s still going to be difficult to stay up but the changes made point to a more exciting future that’s going to include youngsters coming through. I’m in for the long run and hope everyone else holds their nerve.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
We are not winning (although I was expecting to get spanked even more by Citeh).

Results count, not performance. A series of pretty 0 - 1 defeats against mediocre opposition will put us staight in a relegation fight.

Too early to tell, until we play against a few more teams on our level.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015

I think that's rather a cynical, unfair comment. Yes, I'm sure Pep was pleased with the four goals, thank you very much, but i think his praise for Potterball was genuine. It's a high accolade and must be a great psychological boost for GP and the boys.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Illness has prevented me from seeing the enjoyable football, but I take everyone's word for it. The main problem so far has been scoring from the chances we create .....but let's face it, players who regularly do that at this level are as rare as hen's teeth and cost a king's ransom.
So we accept what we have and continue progressing as a team. I stiĺl believe we will be safe come next May. :albion2:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It seems like some of the more never happy vocal haters are dusting off their negativity, so if they're grumpy I couldn't be happier.

So sign me up for very happy.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
It seems like we are playing better because we are having more possession but I'm not completely convinced yet. We still look weak upfront and are missing chances. We are poorer at the back this season as we are pushing up more.

It's beginning to grate that every time the other team has a chance they seem to score. Even today; this was man city's closest game of the season on expected goals something like 1.87 v 1.05. why is this happening is it bad luck or is it the goalie or the defence ?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

We weren't even making chances for much of last season.

dibsy

Jul 26, 2004
Shoreham By Sea
Players seem to be enjoying it. I certainly am. I think we'll pick up the majority of our points after Christmas, we just have to be patient. When Graham Potter finally leaves us it won't be because we sack him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here