Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How do you feel about the Potter revolution thus far?

How do you rate the Potter revolution thus far?

• Very happy

Votes: 123 22.9%
  • Happy

Votes: 264 49.3%
  • So-so

Votes: 127 23.7%
  • Unhappy

Votes: 20 3.7%
  • Very unhappy

Votes: 2 0.4%

• Total voters

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Potter signings Maupay and Webster both look good - Trossard a level above AK even after a few games

Potter know what he wants and not afraid of tough decisions

Best of all is flexible when plan not working - as changes after 30 minutes yesterday evidenced

We still have Trossard, Izzy and Biss to get up and running - not yet time to give up

Three wins in a row as we had last November can change everything

This. Loads of optimism.

God it was awful watching the Albion last season. Even in those rare PL wins, we were usually outplayed.

Except for Manure at home and the double over Norwood.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't understand your point there I'm afraid. Talk me through it. How did Potter's tactics lead to the goals we've conceded and what should he have done differently?

I’m still very pro Graham Potter. But I would say:

1. Pushing the shite defender Montoya forward, leaving a chasm, which Stains, West Ham and ManC lapped up.
2. By squeezing up against ManC giving Guardiola the easiest match they’ll face .... world class forwards had the freedom to destroy lone Albion players one on one.

On a positive, GP is a highly intelligent coach who will be working on all this.

nickjhs

NSC Patreon
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
This isn't a GP v CH thing. By the end of the season we did save ourselves. At the end of the season all the points won by all the teams over their 38 games are added up and teams are ranked. It doesn't matter whether the points were won by great performances or luck. It doesn't matter whether they were won in August or May. All that matters is how many points they add up to. The total number of points Brighton won over 38 games was more than the total number of points won by Fulham, Huddersfield and Cardiff over 38 games. That's how leagues work. To say we didn't save ourselves is simply wrong and disrespectful of what the team did achieve with/because of/in spite of/irrespective of Hughton. Stop trying to re-write that by ignoring how leagues work just to defend a handful of poor results early this season.

If you're right to stand up for GP (and I hope you are) you don't need to denigrate what the plyers did last year, just have patience and when results start going our way say 'ha!, told ya so'.

Mate dont be such a patronising pillock.

1. Pushing the shite defender Montoya forward, leaving a chasm, which Stains, West Ham and ManC lapped up.
2. By squeezing up against ManC giving Guardiola the easiest match they’ll face .... world class forwards had the freedom to destroy lone Albion players one on one.

On a positive, GP is a highly intelligent coach who will be working on all this.

And I’d add that picking Dan Burn who has looked much better as an attacker than a defender might be another issue

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
On the plus side, if we do get relegated it looks like - with Swansea's performances this season - that we might have an excellent Championship manager.

nickjhs

NSC Patreon
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
His post read to me he was trying to meet you halfway

Really? You think I need a lesson on how leagues and their tables work? My point, which he well gets although for some reason it triggers his pedantic nature, is that without some very lucky wins early on in the season we would have been relegated. I for one was worried even before the December slide as I could see how fortunate we had been. When we really needed to step up and secure our place we couldn't do it and it was thanks to Palace that we had a couple of weeks worry free. No doubt he also dislikes the phrase " he scored the winning goal" when the sides have been headed for a scored draw, because "that's not how games work, you win by cumulatively having more goals than the other side and therefore any goal you score............ "

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Hard to argue with that, especially as Ali J seems to be completely out of favour too. Bizarre but I guess both made it obvious they didn’t want to be part of the Potter revolution :shrug:

Neither were as good as an above average pensioner last season . . . . What makes you think they were going to get any better, they had too many opportunities and failed then.

gollum

Dec 29, 2004
Getting very worried. Poor home form continuing with a difficult run of games coming up. We need to beat teams like Burnley who were shite yesterday. Quality of squad still not good enough.

Tiptop24

Jan 23, 2007
Chicago, USA
Very much pro potterball.

Attacking footy. Lots of chances created and some great flows during the game. This will come with spells of poor footy as if very much depends on speed and quality, which our team can have dips in.

Trossard and maupay are big improvements for our squad - and improve our attacking dimension by running behind and into space if the other team steps up. Webster, while only 180 mins in, looks solid too. A slight improvement on Duffy - better on the ball but worse in the air.

Watford were bossed. West ham were lucky with their first shot on target. Saints was 50/50 even with 10 men, and burnley did a smash and grab. Realistically, we should be on 9 points in stead of 5.

Someone is going to get a drubbing soon. As long as they don’t have more than 2 shots on target, our current conceded goals to shots on target is 49% and worrying.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

I won't argue with point 1 but I'm not sure you're right about point 2. Man City had less good opportunities against us than against any other team this season. Screenshot_20190916-081123.png

(I fear I've become an xp evangelist on this thread but it's good to have some data rather than just opinion and memory)

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Getting very worried. Poor home form continuing with a difficult run of games coming up. We need to beat teams like Burnley who were shite yesterday. Quality of squad still not good enough.

Burnley often play like that and get results. They're an annoyingly effective team.

33 games to go for us. A bit early to be getting worried. Let's see where we are at Christmas.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Really pleased with Potter.

That said, the 7 dropped points at home has all but destroyed the chance of a top 10 finish. Infact, whilst I don’t anticipate us dropping in to the bottom 3, we’re clearly going to spend the season just above that threshold seeing as Norwich, Villa & Sheffield Utd are all looking quite good.

Once the players are fully up to speed with Potterball we’ll be fine but I am getting a little anxious about all these dropped points. Will we take much from ‘top Six’ fixtures?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Really pleased with Potter.

That said, the 7 dropped points at home has all but destroyed the chance of a top 10 finish. Infact, whilst I don’t anticipate us dropping in to the bottom 3, we’re clearly going to spend the season just above that threshold seeing as Norwich, Villa & Sheffield Utd are all looking quite good.

Once the players are fully up to speed with Potterball we’ll be fine but I am getting a little anxious about all these dropped points. Will we take much from ‘top Six’ fixtures?
I wished I could share your confidence about dropping into the bottom three, as defeat at Newcastle next weekend could see us there

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

On a positive, GP is a highly intelligent coach who will be working on all this.[/QUOTE]

Spot on with these points. A STH friend from Swansea said to me recently that it will be important to give Potter time and suggested that he will provide good football AND keep us out of danger.
I am hopeful but not presumptuous....

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here