Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How do you feel about the Potter revolution thus far?

How do you rate the Potter revolution thus far?

• Very happy

Votes: 123 22.9%
  • Happy

Votes: 264 49.3%
  • So-so

Votes: 127 23.7%
  • Unhappy

Votes: 20 3.7%
  • Very unhappy

Votes: 2 0.4%

• Total voters

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Could be worse...

...we could be Watford.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It’s just football mate. Calm down there

He/she is not wrong you have become very negative on all things Albion over the last year or so. I mentioned this last week because I remember when you were very positive about all things Albion :shrug:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Could be worse...

...we could be Watford.

I hope that Watford plonker who banged on on Watford tv for 15 mins, after we beat them, about how they should be beating teams like Albion has another go tonight. If he does and anyone sees it, please post on here, it’s quality entitled ranting :thumbsup:

He/she is not wrong you have become very negative on all things Albion over the last year or so. I mentioned this last week because I remember when you were very positive about all things Albion :shrug:

And my response to you stands. No where near as comically negative as you were about our football last season :shrug:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Nah let’s go back to blaming luck, refs, VAR, black cats, broken mirrors, Gypsy curses and stepping on cracks in the pavement

I've been quite open that it's largely Potter's fault. Some of the blame has to go to the board also. Loaning out Locadia and Andone was the right call. Just very poorly timed. It's left us very weak up top and no chance of replacing them.
Potter's tactics will ultimately send us down though. You cannot defend like we do at this level. It's that simple.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Count me out as I would sooner grind out some results and stay up. You are probably one of those that prefer 20/20 to proper cricket where class and ability show forth similarly with football going gung ho is ok if you have the players to do it but do we have those?

i would prefer to get the balance between defence and attack right,
like proper football played by proper footballers

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I get the need to stand up for Potter and getting fed up with people not being all sunshine and smiles over 2 points from three winnable home games, but that is nonsense. That's not how league systems work.

We did save ourselves. We stayed up because over the course of 38 games, we earned more points than three other teams. Palace beating Cardiff in one game has no greater bearing on the final standings than us beating Crystal Palace.

it's called the business end of the season for a reason

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
This isn't a GP v CH thing. By the end of the season we did save ourselves. At the end of the season all the points won by all the teams over their 38 games are added up and teams are ranked. It doesn't matter whether the points were won by great performances or luck. It doesn't matter whether they were won in August or May. All that matters is how many points they add up to. The total number of points Brighton won over 38 games was more than the total number of points won by Fulham, Huddersfield and Cardiff over 38 games. That's how leagues work. To say we didn't save ourselves is simply wrong and disrespectful of what the team did achieve with/because of/in spite of/irrespective of Hughton. Stop trying to re-write that by ignoring how leagues work just to defend a handful of poor results early this season.

If you're right to stand up for GP (and I hope you are) you don't need to denigrate what the plyers did last year, just have patience and when results start going our way say 'ha!, told ya so'.

you can't get relegated in the first month, but you can in the last,
so it is different

Last edited:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I've been quite open that it's largely Potter's fault. Some of the blame has to go to the board also. Loaning out Locadia and Andone was the right call. Just very poorly timed. It's left us very weak up top and no chance of replacing them.
Potter's tactics will ultimately send us down though. You cannot defend like we do at this level. It's that simple.
I can't agree that letting both Locadia and Andone out was the correct decision. One of them perhaps.

Glenn Murray must be rubbing his hands with glee. Virtually guarantees he will start on a regular basis for now.

What if there are two injuries or injuries and suspensions to front men at the same ?

Total remiss of the Manager to let both go if he had a say in the matter

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I can't agree that letting both Locadia and Andone out was the correct decision. One of them perhaps.

Glenn Murray must be rubbing his hands with glee. Virtually guarantees he will start on a regular basis for now.

What if there are two injuries or injuries and suspensions to front men at the same ?

Hard to argue with that, especially as Ali J seems to be completely out of favour too. Bizarre but I guess both made it obvious they didn’t want to be part of the Potter revolution :shrug:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

Both offered nothing. Locadia was lazy and Andone is well Andone. Think you are missing my point also.

theboybilly

Nice try. Now try adding in the dodgy refereeing discussions against us, in particular, Sol Bamba. We may have been appalling to watch, but the evidence is that we weren't one of the worst three teams last season. The worst three were relegated, as usual.

It was the inference that the final league table is evidence of everything. Things don't even themselves out over the season. we had a fair few decisions go our way too. In that run of three 1-0 wins I mentioned, if the opposition in two of those games could have actually hit the barn door they were trying to knock down we would have been 3-1 losers at least. Not to mention the capitulations at Craven Cottage and against a Vardy- reinforced Leicester at the Amex where we just seemed to melt as soon as he came on. People were getting carried away when we were (if memory serves me correctly) on 14pts after 9 games. I thought at the time how that could so easily have been just 4. In the end Cardiff were a better side than us, showed more fight (with the honourable exception of our defensive unit), showed more guile. We were very, very lucky.- I take no pleasure in saying that

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
you can't get relegated in the first month, but you can in the last,
so it is different

Of course you can't get relegated in the first month but the warning signs are already there under Potter.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Looking at the expected goals stats for the teams we've played it doesn't seem we've been giving them loads of clear cut opportunities (discounting City). In fact every team we've played bar Watford have outperformed their xg, suggesting they've been clinical, rather than us being loose at the back.

Watford xg1

West Ham xg0.6

Southampton xg1.8 (AGAINST 10 MEN OF COURSE)

Man city xg2.3

Burnley xg0.4

What exactly about the defending don't you like? Seems to me like we are keeping the ball well and restricting the opposition's chances. The problem is we're not taking our chances.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I get the need to stand up for Potter and getting fed up with people not being all sunshine and smiles over 2 points from three winnable home games, but that is nonsense. That's not how league systems work.

We did save ourselves. We stayed up because over the course of 38 games, we earned more points than three other teams. Palace beating Cardiff in one game has no greater bearing on the final standings than
us beating Crystal Palace.

Twice.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Looking at the expected goals stats for the teams we've played it doesn't seem we've been giving them loads of clear cut opportunities (discounting City). In fact every team we've played bar Watford have outperformed their xg, suggesting they've been clinical, rather than us being loose at the back.

Watford xg1

West Ham xg0.6

Southampton xg1.8 (AGAINST 10 MEN OF COURSE)

Man city xg2.3

Burnley xg0.4

What exactly about the defending don't you like? Seems to me like we are keeping the ball well and restricting the opposition's chances. The problem is we're not taking our chances.

I'm talking about the goals we have conceded since the start of the season. They have been largely down to poor defending. Even that poor article i read about us and Man City. It was laughable. That could have easily been 6 or 7 like i said before. A couple of there goals were quality granted. The others poor. Our defending in that game was shit. It's that simple.
The other homes games we conceded poor goals.
I've said this before but clean sheets will be a rarity under Potter. We cannot defend and it's verve racking seeing us defending.
Stats are all well and good but i rather watch with my own eyes. I don't like what i'm seeing. I just think the system we play is wrong for us at this level.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Both offered nothing. Locadia was lazy and Andone is well Andone. Think you are missing my point also.

This. Locadia’s been put on some pedestal, simply because he’s an alleged striker. Over 18 months he produced little in his PL appearances. Andone scored the greatest Albion I’ve ever seen, but even when coming on a sub he was bone idle, his nasty streak cost us, and the player wanted out. Paul Hayward’s insight was very revealing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here