Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How do you feel about the Potter revolution thus far?

How do you rate the Potter revolution thus far?

• Very happy

Votes: 123 22.9%
  • Happy

Votes: 264 49.3%
  • So-so

Votes: 127 23.7%
  • Unhappy

Votes: 20 3.7%
  • Very unhappy

Votes: 2 0.4%

• Total voters

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
But how are they doing it?

if opinion as to what makes it a better chance, then my point remains. We created very few clear cut chances despite having a lot of possession.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our problem too, as others have said, is that our midfield contributes next to nothing in terms of goals, or has done up until now since being in the prem. That really needs to change if we want to start scoring more.

I'm happy enough with how it's going, but disappointed with the results. Also disappointed that we're still seeing Murray starting up top, as much as I love him

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
I’m pleased to see a more attacking style of play but very very nervous about how it’s going to work in the PL.
My gut feeling is that we don’t have enough quality in attack so won’t be scoring enough and at the same time we will be opening ourselves up to conceding more by being more attacking. Fingers crossed, it’s a big gamble but it had to be done.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I’m pleased to see a more attacking style of play but very very nervous about how it’s going to work in the PL.
My gut feeling is that we don’t have enough quality in attack so won’t be scoring enough and at the same time we will be opening ourselves up to conceding more by being more attacking. Fingers crossed, it’s a big gamble but it had to be done.

I feel that we have got quality in attack, but not in droves, and some of it not consistent, and some of it shipped out on loan... If we are unlucky with injuries this season as we have been a bit so far then we'll certainly struggle to stay up

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Happy because the manager is willing to try things, playing Burn as the left wing back, March right rather than the average Montoya showed he’s always thinking and working to find a formula. It looked poor for the first 30mins, but they grew into the game and bossed the second half.

I was disappointed yesterday however that we’d rather check, turn and assess than get the ball into the box early. As it happened this tactic led to the goal, but didn’t lead to anymore that our possession and pressure deserved.

We’ve a lot of confidence in tight areas with the ball now, just need to transfer it to goals.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
But how are they doing it?

if opinion as to what makes it a better chance, then my point remains. We created very few clear cut chances despite having a lot of possession.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not just some bloke in a room saying he should've scored that. Opta analysed hundreds of thousands of shots to create their model. The xg value is based on the angle, the assist type, distance from goal, header or shot, number of defenders etc. Of course it's not perfect but it's a useful indicator nonetheless. Certainly more so than just shots/shots on target.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40699431

https://www.pokerstars.com/en/blog/...it-changing-soccer-177778.shtml?no_redirect=1

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Happy because the manager is willing to try things, playing Burn as the left wing back, March right rather than the average Montoya showed he’s always thinking and working to find a formula. It looked poor for the first 30mins, but they grew into the game and bossed the second half.

I was disappointed yesterday however that we’d rather check, turn and assess than get the ball into the box early. As it happened this tactic led to the goal, but didn’t lead to anymore that our possession and pressure deserved.

We’ve a lot of confidence in tight areas with the ball now, just need to transfer it to goals.

Based on the home performances thus far what would be the point of getting the ball into the box early?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
We look like a team that will be much better in the break than last year, that needs more space and thus will hopefully do better away and against the top half teams than last year.

We could have won all the of our home games so far, luck had not been with us, too early to worry

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Too late to worry. The goal scoring options are what they are. Possibly someone in the next transfer window, but our ability to score looks like a relegation tussle is ahead.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It’s not the fault of the two main strikers, nor because we’ve shipped two inadequate ones out. I see the problem more the lack of goals coming from midfield during open play. Before Iz got injured, he was a threat and good for 5 or so goals. If everyone else in these positions did similarly then we’d be getting 10-15 more a season. Stephens and Propper struggle to get into single figures unless you count zero and I fail to see how we can be anything more than relegation fonder with such paucity from this area of the pitch. All it takes is Ryan to get a fluke goal kick and he draws level with some.

el punal

Looooool. Some of the handwringing in this thread is magnificent. Sure, we haven’t got the points we would have liked, but I think we’ve been very unlucky with a few results, we played West Ham off the park, we were arguably better than Southampton despite the numerical disadvantage, and we really should have had 3 points today but for a very well hit goal. We are playing much better football and I’m positive the results will come.

Yep! Five games in and we’re already doomed. Probably the same posters that moaned about the style of football and tactics under Chris Hughton are now doing the same with Graham Potter. FFS!! The team are playing a totally different brand of football - creative, flowing and entertaining to watch. It will take time to master it completely and we have been unlucky with decisions, injuries and results despite the performances having been far better than last season.

For those naysayers on here, can we at least wait until we’ve played at least ten games (around November time) before being so negatively judgemental? :shrug:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Yep! Five games in and we’re already doomed. Probably the same posters that moaned about the style of football and tactics under Chris Hughton are now doing the same with Graham Potter. FFS!! The team are playing a totally different brand of football - creative, flowing and entertaining to watch. It will take time to master it completely and we have been unlucky with decisions, injuries and results despite the performances having been far better than last season.

For those naysayers on here, can we at least wait until we’ve played at least ten games (around November time) before being so negatively judgemental? :shrug:

Agree. If we go down playing the way we do then that’ll do for me. World away from the predictable hang on from the first whistle fair we had from January to May this year. West Ham and yday could easily been wins and we’d be four points better off. Plus we were missing some key players.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I know it is stating the bleeding obvious, but we have played 3 teams at home who are in “ our division”, ie not expected to be in the top 10, and we have acquired 2 points out of 9.

Yes we are not in bed wetting area yet, but I thought the first 30 minutes yesterday was like watching us the last couple of seasons. We started banging it along the back and looked really clueless. AND they had two goal bound efforts brilliantly cleared off the line and one clearance that we screwed over our bar when everyone thought it went in.

Second half was different and potter obviously changed it a bit. We cannot rely on Murray as his speed has gone and so when collony came on it did look better, but it was a shame him and maupay didn’t get a chance to play together as they are both super quick.

Maupay took his goal well and solly played really well....but the goal was a killer...but we shouldn’t have been in that situation...we had breaks to score and maupay chose the wrong option twice.

We now have Tottenham and Chelsea coming up and we need to have the mindset that we may not have possession for a huge amount of time BUT we need to be more clinical.

Btw. I would start/play Mooy instead of propper as he looks to more of a forward looking player...and I also think he is a better player.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Work in progress. Much more enjoyable to watch. A bit unlucky with the results. I'm happy.

I’ll add a little unlucky with injuries and illness but otherwise agree. If we are still saying we’re unlucky come Xmas I’ll change my opinion.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I know it is stating the bleeding obvious, but we have played 3 teams at home who are in “ our division”, ie not expected to be in the top 10, and we have acquired 2 points out of 9.

Yes we are not in bed wetting area yet, but I thought the first 30 minutes yesterday was like watching us the last couple of seasons. We started banging it along the back and looked really clueless. AND they had two goal bound efforts brilliantly cleared off the line and one clearance that we screwed over our bar when everyone thought it went in.

Second half was different and potter obviously changed it a bit. We cannot rely on Murray as his speed has gone and so when collony came on it did look better, but it was a shame him and maupay didn’t get a chance to play together as they are both super quick.

Maupay took his goal well and solly played really well....but the goal was a killer...but we shouldn’t have been in that situation...we had breaks to score and maupay chose the wrong option twice.

We now have Tottenham and Chelsea coming up and we need to have the mindset that we may not have possession for a huge amount of time BUT we need to be more clinical.

Btw. I would start/play Mooy instead of propper as he looks to more of a forward looking player...and I also think he is a better player.

The key phrase there is “Potter changed it” something that CH didn’t ever do except in THAT Newcastle game. We have a manager still getting to know his players strengths and weaknesses and we’ve been a little unlucky with injuries. Not going to say that we have been unlucky though. We need to start taking the opportunities we get, at the moment we aren’t and the opposition are.

Potter has more than one plan and his go to plan means we are entertained. he still has my full support. Mind you I am looking forward to seeing El Galgo getting game time so I may not have a clue about football anyway :smile:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Considering the remarkable difference in how inefficient Swansea was in the beginning of last season to how clinical we became in the end I truly believe this will improve. I remember when Daniel James started to show his potential in October-November and we said "thank God the man cant shoot or cross because we'd lose him in January". Few months later he was deadly as ****. Oli McBurnie had sort of the same development.

Thing is Brighton is still in a phase where the build up, passing and combination play is the main focus. How we act in the final third will soon improve but it might take another month before it looks really clean. Hopefully a win or two can be secured before that, but the new Brighton is a long term project (because thats how Potter works) and there will be a few disappointing results and performances here and there along the road.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia

Yep this 100%. If we get relegated playing like this then pure and simple the teams above us are better and we can have no complaints.

I have said this before, I would rather we get relegated playing like this, than staying up with the opposition supporters crying out OLE every time their side passes the ball to each other because we are to frigging scared to play. Last season was boring and embarrassing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here