Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Travel rip-offs

LockStock

Jan 29, 2008
Sussex
Recently traveled to Amsterdam and had a pre-booked a hire car to be told we couldn’t use a debit card and as I didn’t have a credit card I couldn’t take the car I’d booked and paid for.

Went to hertz next door who said debit card is fine but 750 euros for 3 days! Obviously said no thanks. Had a look hertz website same car 110 euros. Served in under 5 mins by the same man who gave me the same car for 640 euros less.

Anyone else had anything similar? Never had a problem using debit cards before, don’t have any credit cards and never really wanted one. How and why do company’s try and rip people off this way.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It’s not a ‘rip off’ - it’s about taking the holding charge deposit for any damage , claims etc.

Presumably this was in the T&Cs when you booked

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not the same scenario but I got caught in Austria where, on collecting the pre-booked hire car, the company took a holding deposit on my credit card of a few thousand pounds. The car was only a Passat or similar.

That stuffed us from paying our hotel bill a week later, as now there were no available funds on that card to pay the hotel!

I stand to be corrected, but I’m pretty sure that holding deposits held against a credit card used to be negligible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here