Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Manchester City vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Marcelo bielsa isn’t what I would call a top European manager ( I know he’s Argentinian but get your drift). He hasn’t done anything of note since his time in Bilbao back in 2012 yes I did check Wikipedia mainly because I hadn’t heard anything of his career.

A top European manager isn’t going to be decent ... they’re going to be excellent. Decent European manager yes, excellent very unlikely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Are you guys happy with Webster's performance? I personally would like to see Duffy back in the starting 11 again.

I was impressed. He made a great run out of defence in the first half that could have set up a real opportunity to equalise had he not been fouled by Laporte (the one he got injured on). If Potter is looking for us to play the ball out as much as possible, which we definitely did today, then I can see Webster playing more than Duffy. Although Duffy’s aerial would be useful against more physical attacks, such as Burnley. Horses for courses.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
As I said previously, we rarely get anything against Burnley & Barnes is bound to score. I think we stand a chance with Newcastle, but who knows. We should have taken our chances against Southampton.
I am worried.

That’s bollocks. We had quite a good record against Burnley until last year - they didn’t even beat us, home or away, in their 2 auto promotion seasons - and Barnes scored his first ever goal against us last season at the Amex - his 7th appearance (I think).

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I had a very good stream so watched all of the game and thought that we looked ok going forward but with no penetration but in so doing our defence looked very suspect and liable to be breached on a breakaway. Two questions

1....Why did we spend that amount of money on him as he looked no better in fact not as good as Duffy.
2. How long will GP persist with a 3 man backline that is generally weak.

1...1st top flight league game ........against Manchester effing City
2 .. weak? against De Bruyne, Sliva/Silva, Sterling, Aguero, Otamandi, Mahrez etc.

honestly BG, really?

I do miss Adam El-Abd though.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I didn’t say Pep’s style is the ONLY way to win. But in modern times he is by far the greatest. He has reinvented the way football is played, he has set the bar at an unprecedented level and he has won stacks of trophies every single season over 10/12 years. The man is a genius. If you win his respect, it’s worth something in my opinion.

It does help having the budget to buy . . .in music terms, Hendrix, Marley, Marvin Gaye, Stevie wonder (not in goal) Syd Barrett on the wing, moon, Richards etc etc . . .

However, his skill/talent is in picking the best players, who have the cranial capacity to understand not just him, his plan and ideas, but each other . . . . Watching today, you could see attacking MC players, walking into positions, like snooker balls . . . . Our defenders had no where to safely pass. . They are so quick in the head and on their feet.

Our performance was pretty good. Despite the score line. Heads didn't drop, and I think the squad learned more toward progression than we've witnessed in the last year.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I know possession stats can be misleading, but City averaged 67% possession in their home games last season. Today it was 54%. Quite a difference.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That’s bollocks. We had quite a good record against Burnley until last year - they didn’t even beat us, home or away, in their 2 auto promotion seasons - and Barnes scored his first ever goal against us last season at the Amex - his 7th appearance (I think).

We lost both games last season, and the previous 5 games were all draws.
We need to be winning games at home.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
This, decision making costing us again.
Connolly looked fearless, like to see him get a run in the team.

Very much so on decision making however two weeks to work on this on the training ground

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Watching M o t D and we only got out of our own half once

Which is farcical we played well but it is Citeh who are better eye candy in football terms

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It does help having the budget to buy . . .in music terms, Hendrix, Marley, Marvin Gaye, Stevie wonder (not in goal) Syd Barrett on the wing, moon, Richards etc etc . . .

However, his skill/talent is in picking the best players, who have the cranial capacity to understand not just him, his plan and ideas, but each other . . . . Watching today, you could see attacking MC players, walking into positions, like snooker balls . . . . Our defenders had no where to safely pass. . They are so quick in the head and on their feet.

Our performance was pretty good. Despite the score line. Heads didn't drop, and I think the squad learned more toward progression than we've witnessed in the last year.

Quite right. Aguero in particular was devastating today.

And to have Pep Guardiola saying we played with courage means something.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here