Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Sky Arts tonight 7pm - Steely Dan the making of Aja

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
For all the old fogeys.

Already recording it. The one about The Band was fascinating - much more to them than I ever realised despite seeing them support CSNY at Wembley in '74, especially Garth Hudson. Incidentally, really like Skytrails by Crosby, mixed reviews but touches of Steely Dan apparent.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
For all the old fogeys.

Evening squire. Got very excited reading your thread title till I saw it didn't say Pretzel Logic, or Can't Buy a Thrill, or Countdown to Ecstasy, or Katy Lied, or even The Royal Scam.....Aja was when it all went a bit easy listening, wasn't it? Anyway, I may takle a peek....

All the best from sunny Faversham :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have just paused it while I fry a steak.

Bloody great, this. I need to give Aja a proper listen. At the time (77) I was a roaring punk rocker and had no time for Old Wave :lolol:

Cheers for the heads up [MENTION=37530]monty uk[/MENTION]

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Thanks for the tip. I've recorded it.. Aja was my route into Steely Dan, picking up a cheap Woolworth's cassette copy because of De La Soul's sampling of 'Peg'. These days De La Soul are for fogeys, Steely Dan are for connoisseurs.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Evening squire. Got very excited reading your thread title till I saw it didn't say Pretzel Logic, or Can't Buy a Thrill, or Countdown to Ecstasy, or Katy Lied, or even The Royal Scam.....Aja was when it all went a bit easy listening, wasn't it? Anyway, I may takle a peek....

All the best from sunny Faversham :thumbsup:

Aja was almost just TOO smooth, with you on all those other albums ! personal preference I'd go Can't buy a Thrill then Katie Lied, Countdown to Ecstacy, Royal Scam and then Pretzel Logic..... Donald Fagan's two solo album's were damn good too, still love listening to New Frontier .

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Aja was almost just TOO smooth, with you on all those other albums ! personal preference I'd go Can't buy a Thrill then Katie Lied, Countdown to Ecstacy, Royal Scam and then Pretzel Logic..... Donald Fagan's two solo album's were damn good too, still love listening to New Frontier .

I love the fact that each of their albums had a different feel but withe the same quality; even the 2 later ones stand up well. I love the Fagen solo albums as well, I think there were 3, but Nightfly stands out for me. Dan are probably the only act that I have listened to without a break since I bough Katy Lied in Worthing in 1975. Whether I was into prog, punk etc. they always sounded good.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Already recording it. The one about The Band was fascinating - much more to them than I ever realised despite seeing them support CSNY at Wembley in '74, especially Garth Hudson. Incidentally, really like Skytrails by Crosby, mixed reviews but touches of Steely Dan apparent.

The Band were wonderful. The film The Last Waltz - of their farewell concert - is superb.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here