Mar 10, 2013
Yep, shame it's just another thing those in power dont care about

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The BIG problems are doctors prescribing antibiotics for viral infections, and patients not completing their antibiotic course. I can explain both of these phenomena and why they matter (the second of the two is the one that matters most), but since GPs and patients seem hell bent on shitting inside their own tents, I don't think I can be bothered.

And, yes, a massive bacterial epidemic, coming our way soon, will make WW1, WW2, Stalin and Pol Pot look like humanitarian nurturerers in death-toll comparason. But some people will survive. This is what happens. It is all perfectly normal.

D

Deleted member 2719

Yep, shame it's just another thing those in power dont care about

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

They have lost 3 years to pissing around with, some flag waving, screaming, bed wetting jellyfish.

Role on Halloween to get this sorted, they will have run out tricks, so it will be one big treat.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The BIG problems are doctors prescribing antibiotics for viral infections, and patients not completing their antibiotic course. I can explain both of these phenomena and why they matter (the second of the two is the one that matters most), but since GPs and patients seem hell bent on shitting inside their own tents, I don't think I can be bothered.

And, yes, a massive bacterial epidemic, coming our way soon, will make WW1, WW2, Stalin and Pol Pot look like humanitarian nurturerers in death-toll comparason. But some people will survive. This is what happens. It is all perfectly normal.
This. My money us on a 'flu variation or a more hostile variant of Ebola... Mind you, obesity and nut allergic reactions are coming up the inside....

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
This. My money us on a 'flu variation or a more hostile variant of Ebola... Mind you, obesity and nut allergic reactions are coming up the inside....

In fairness this scare story comes up every five years and never really happens. The birth rate of this planet means something on a 1350s level would need to happen to even put a moderate dent in population growth. Far more likely is the collapse of civilisation because of resource scarcity to curb our species.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
In fairness this scare story comes up every five years and never really happens. The birth rate of this planet means something on a 1350s level would need to happen to even put a moderate dent in population growth. Far more likely is the collapse of civilisation because of resource scarcity to curb our species.
With respect, a 1350's virus/bacteria would probably wipe out about 99% of us in this day and age. Thanks to our fast intercontinental links via air travel, a seriously dangerous disease is almost impossible to contain.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Is this why the American steak tastes so good? Anyone know if Argentinean steak has antibacterial jabs? That's even tastier...

I do think we should worry about this sort of thing though and this is the first I have heard of it, so I need to look further.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

I once went to the Doctors with proper influenza, I was pretty delirious at the time. I was aware of the potential antibiotic problem 20 years ago, since a friend of mine is very educated on the subject.

The doctor offered me antibiotics and I asked him "Do I actually need them ?" and he replied "No".

They have a lot to answer for.

The flip side (I understand) is there are now "financial penalties" for dishing them out.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
With respect, a 1350's virus/bacteria would probably wipe out about 99% of us in this day and age. Thanks to our fast intercontinental links via air travel, a seriously dangerous disease is almost impossible to contain.

Actually it would kill about 2 billion, leaving 5 billion to carry on spawning and we’d be back to 7 in no time at all. Especially with them, you know, foreign types, breeding like rats ironically ;) Nope, no plague will ever kill us off. We however might do it on our own eg AI, Nuclear War, Climate change etc

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I once went to the Doctors with proper influenza, I was pretty delirious at the time. I was aware of the potential antibiotic problem 20 years ago, since a friend of mine is very educated on the subject.

The doctor offered me antibiotics and I asked him "Do I actually need them ?" and he replied "No".

They have a lot to answer for.

The flip side (I understand) is there are now "financial penalties" for dishing them out.

Doctors (and the public) were told about antibiotic resistance and the lack of effect on viruses more than 40 years ago. I knew all about it when I was at school in the 70s.

The trouble is medics are not trained properly in pharmacology, and tend to think about drugs in a very peculiar way. Once they move out of the classroom and into clinical practice a strange set of drivers take hold, and indeed, the business of asking the patient what they want is a bad part of that. It means that an uninformed patient will be fobbed off while an insistent patient can demand and receive interventions they don't need. I remember mothers demanding antibiotics for their sniffy nosed kids in the 70s and getting them. Meanwhile my lactose intolerance was missed by docs for more than 20 years owing to narrow minded thinking.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
Always amazed at the UK's stance on antibiotics. Nearly every other country I have travelled to around the world they can be brought easily over the counter.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Doctors (and the public) were told about antibiotic resistance and the lack of effect on viruses more than 40 years ago. I knew all about it when I was at school in the 70s.

The trouble is medics are not trained properly in pharmacology, and tend to think about drugs in a very peculiar way. Once they move out of the classroom and into clinical practice a strange set of drivers take hold, and indeed, the business of asking the patient what they want is a bad part of that. It means that an uninformed patient will be fobbed off while an insistent patient can demand and receive interventions they don't need. I remember mothers demanding antibiotics for their sniffy nosed kids in the 70s and getting them. Meanwhile my lactose intolerance was missed by docs for more than 20 years owing to narrow minded thinking.

My experience with my family over the last couple of years has been that it is now very difficult to get antibiotics prescribed by a GP and if you do they are very persuasive about finishing the course.

Now abroad, that's a different issue. I think I've heard that there are places not recommended to go because of their terrible record on antibiotics meaning you are more likely to pick up something nasty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here