Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Poll: PPI Deadline Day! Did you claim? Was it successful?

Have you made your PPI claim?

• Haven't bothered and don't intend do

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • Claimed via agent and still waiting

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Claimed directly and still waiting

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Claimed successfully via agent: received over £2000

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Claimed successfully via agent: received under £2000

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Claimed successfully directly: received over £2000

Votes: 14 19.4%
  • Claimed successfully directly: received under £2000

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • Haven't yet done so but will try to beat deadline

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Claimed but was unsuccessful

Votes: 11 15.3%

• Total voters

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Didn't think I had it, but did letters a good few years ago. Got about £3500 back from one credit card lender that looking back made me take it out otherwise I would not be approved for the card. I was 18, living at home at the time...

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Claimed though an agent. Records are only kept for six or seven years so unsuccessful. The lenders couldn't "find" my records.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You might not have been turned down because you never had any. You might have been turned down because you didn't make clear that it was mis-sold to you.
This is an integral part to the claim. You just have to say something along the lines that you were not told it was optional. The criteria for winning the claim isn't that you had PPI but that it was mis-sold to you

Suspect you've mis-interpreted Studio's post - he means he always turned down PPI.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
You might not have been turned down because you never had any. You might have been turned down because you didn't make clear that it was mis-sold to you.
This is an integral part to the claim. You just have to say something along the lines that you were not told it was optional. The criteria for winning the claim isn't that you had PPI but that it was mis-sold to you

Probably didn't make it clear, always turned down the offer of the cover on any loans or credit cards, so never had any PPI policies,

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Didn’t have any to claim so no, I haven’t tried. I do enjoy winding up the parasitic rip-off merchants that keep telling me I have though.

Claimed though an agent. Records are only kept for six or seven years so unsuccessful. The lenders couldn't "find" my records.
This is not correct - you can claim back to the 1970s, they can't get out of it just by saying they threw your records away. I've just claimed through the Nationwide Building Society for the ppi which suddenly appeared on my first annual mortgage statement in 1999 from the defunct Derbyshire Building Society. Takes about 15 minutes going through the MSE/Resolver route (you fill in the form and they send it electronically) . Try again right now - You keep 100% of any payment, and I wouldn't want any percentage either (unlike the OP:)) although if you find you can't get to a match you have tickets for..... :whistle:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/r...76830-2317&utm_campaign=nt-hiya&utm_content=6

Last edited:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I never signed up for PPI as I read the small print and could see what a con it was.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
From the MSE website:

If you've previously been rejected, you're likely still due a Plevin payout

Plevin could work for you if you've had a claim rejected from a bank, building society or other big financial institution (even if the ombudsman agreed with the rejection). There were 1.2 million whose claims had been turned down (as of 29 August 2017) who were then eligible under Plevin. If you were one of these, you should have been notified of this by your bank by now, but if not, claim anyway.

In February 2019, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) also ordered firms to contact around 150,000 rejected claimants whose policies were active before April 2007 to inform them they can now make a new complaint.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Probably didn't make it clear, always turned down the offer of the cover on any loans or credit cards, so never had any PPI policies,

Same here, all the way back to my teens I rejected / unticked all forms of credit card, store card, hp, mortgage (indemnity) or loan cover. I also declined the heavy sell of endowment mortgages in the late 80’s, when the slick salesman promised a huge surplus sum to buy a luxury car at policy maturity. I pissed off these bullshitters twice my age, one even said “Who’s been getting at you?”.

The downside of all that, no bank payouts for me over the last 20 years.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Yep, got £2750 back from Barclays two weeks ago, after the second time of checking. No third party involved, done it all myself, so money is all mine![emoji3] and the wives...[emoji16]

Hey Bb, as per triggaars question, what changed between claim 1 rejected and claim 2 accepted?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I didn’t bother with it till the 11th hour so am going to lose 24 % of anything coming to me .... oh well if they hadn’t kept on at me

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Same here - never took out any form of protection.

I feel silly now - I genuinely had no idea it was actually a savings scheme which would pay it all back to me, and more besides, many years down the line.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I took the scatter gun approach yesterday and hit every lender, bank and finance company I've ever had with every address I've been at since the age of 25....

Not sure what'll happen, but if anyone moans... Martin Lewis told me to do it on the Jeremy Vine show. :smokin:

razer

Mar 10, 2019
Ormskirk, Lancashire
Yes, I am certain. I turned down PPI (despite it being quite difficult to do so at the time!) on assorted car loans, bank loans etc... because it just seemed like a waste of money.

Yes , I was certain too because I am a smug git and credit myself with way too much intelligence.

My wife claimed and put me down as a joint claimant on a bank loan we had and the claims company came back with nothing for her but insisted I had had PPI on an HP agreement with Black Horse and although I refused to believe them they sent me all the relevant information anyway. I ended up getting £1997 back and my reason for mis selling was fraud by their agent at the car showroom. They paid out without so much as a whimper.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Hey Bb, as per triggaars question, what changed between claim 1 rejected and claim 2 accepted?
There was no reason other than to try again as I am not convinced all banks are honest...

With regard taking out ppi, ,I never took it out and this is a good reason to claim. Ppi, was sold to protect your payments but whenever I had a loan, overdraft etc. I was self employed/ contractor. I remember clearly that I was told that if you are self employed you had to prove you worked for the same person for 2 or more years to claim. So, I always turned down ppi as I expected to work for more than one person over that time.

Ppi was not only mis-sold but falsely added to your account and I obviously did not notice. I was contracting...[emoji6]

It's ok all these people getting high and mighty about claiming for something you never had but I didn't ask for it and rightly got it back with interest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here