Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Fat Sam

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A couple of months' salary from his time at Bolton could have saved both clubs.

If only communism actually worked....<sigh>

Sad night. I hate this sort of stuff.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I wonder how many pints of wine are being drunk by Fat Sam tonight. Not only are his beloved Bolton Wanderers on the brink, his grandson (also Sam Allardyce) was on the books at Bury FC (RIP).
No rejoicing from me.

That Bolton team of his - Djorkaeff, Okocha, Campo and all - is one that I'd have gladly paid money to go and see (had it been a realistic option for me at the time).

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
He was interviewed on the radio last night, sounded close to tears.

I cannot understand why an ex manager is getting flak for poor financial management at a club.
The CEO/ Chairman and or owner should control spending on players.
I feel sorry for the fans of both clubs and hope a miracle buyer comes along but as one Bury fan said last night on the news: If we go bust, I just hope a phoenix club arises. (It happened at Wimbledon)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Outrageous to make Fat Sam a scapegoat for all of this, CEO / Chairpersons fault for constantly overspending

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
No rejoicing from me.

That Bolton team of his - Djorkaeff, Okocha, Campo and all - is one that I'd have gladly paid money to go and see (had it been a realistic option for me at the time).

And also unfortunately part of why they find themselves in the situation that they are in now. They had absolutely no right to be paying the level of salaries those players were on.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Managers don't spend money, that's down to the Chairman and his Board.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What an idiot you are, if the fans had supported their clubs and turned up for matches they might not have gone broke

Are you seriously blaming the fans for the situation at Bury and Bolton ?

Its years of out of control spending on players contracts and salaries that have ultimately done for those clubs. Chronic financial mismanagement on an industrial scale by incompetent owners chasing success, which they could never afford to bankroll in the long term, and now its finally caught up with them.

Gigg Lane holds 11k. They'd probably need weekly crowds of 40k to make inroads into the circa £9m worth of debt thats ended up dragging them under.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Managers don't spend money, that's down to the Chairman and his Board.

Doesn't stop people on here having a go at Harry Redknapp. :thumbsup:

For what it's worth - I have cynically wondered why Sam hasn't stepped in to help Bolton, not that it's his responsibility to do so. Presumably, the club is in an absolute mess but the infrastructure is there. They have the stadium and the fanbase, I can't imagine it's a club which can't be salvaged. But the financial cost of getting them on an even keel must be outrageous, I remember reading about their level of debt being north of £100million a few years ago. Being outside of the Premier League won't have helped that.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Doesn't stop people on here having a go at Harry Redknapp. :thumbsup:

For what it's worth - I have cynically wondered why Sam hasn't stepped in to help Bolton, not that it's his responsibility to do so. Presumably, the club is in an absolute mess but the infrastructure is there. They have the stadium and the fanbase, I can't imagine it's a club which can't be salvaged. But the financial cost of getting them on an even keel must be outrageous, I remember reading about their level of debt being north of £100million a few years ago. Being outside of the Premier League won't have helped that.

I imagine the size of the club is part of the problem. You're talking about a club AND a hotel for starters. I imagine it is hugely complicated.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Are you seriously blaming the fans for the situation at Bury and Bolton ?

Its years of out of control spending on players contracts and salaries that have ultimately done for those clubs. Chronic financial mismanagement on an industrial scale by incompetent owners chasing success, which they could never afford to bankroll in the long term, and now its finally caught up with them.

Gigg Lane holds 11k. They'd probably need weekly crowds of 40k to make inroads into the circa £9m worth of debt thats ended up dragging them under.

Whilst I agree with the above

Did they ask questions when mega contracts where being handed out?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Do any fans anywhere ? The Albion are handing out mega contracts and we may be relegated. I don’t see any of our fans objecting.

I’ve seen a few question it, yeah and there is a big difference between offering players contracts when you have an income who have resell value than giving 9k a week wages to lower league journey men

luge

Dec 18, 2010
Outrageous to make Fat Sam a scapegoat for all of this, CEO / Chairpersons fault for constantly overspending

To understand the crisis of BWFC, you do have to go and look at the spending and transfer deals from when Bolton were in the PL. E

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here