Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Connolly's goal-scoring record

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You feel Connelly should have been promoted into the first team nearly 2 years ago while still playing for Mervue United A.F.C. U20, and be playing somewhere in the midfield?

More insight please.

He signed for the Albion in the summer of 2016, as it goes.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Hes so much better than Ali J and Locadia. It's a joke how much we spent on them when hes been sitting here waiting.

Really .... and you’re evidence is? Bristol Rovers in the EFL on a Tuesday night is not the same as Man City in the premier league on a Saturday afternoon .... he certainly has a lot of promise but lets not chuck him in at the deal end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
At the start of the season, I advocated a season long loan for him. Not now.

I'm not saying chuck him in at the deep end by starting him at City, but I now see him as a fringe first team player rather than an u23. In the highly unlikely event of any of our strikers picking up suspensions, or getting injured this season, young Aaron should be in the squad and ultimately getting on the pitch for us rather than someone else.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Let’s not get carried away. He’s doing alright, showing promise, is high on confidence and highly strung so let’s nurture him by being involved with the 1st team squad, a league cup appearance, non used PL squad player for a couple of matches - so when he’s really ready it won’t be such a shock.

He still has a long way to go but is on the right tracks.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
A team with him and Andone in would scare any other team,as long as they stayed suspension free.Both seem very hungry for success.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
He'll never make it, his name is far too tricky to spell for NSC's pedantic analytics.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
At the start of the season, I advocated a season long loan for him. Not now.

I'm not saying chuck him in at the deep end by starting him at City, but I now see him as a fringe first team player rather than an u23. In the highly unlikely event of any of our strikers picking up suspensions, or getting injured this season, young Aaron should be in the squad and ultimately getting on the pitch for us rather than someone else.

Hmmm

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I think he has now made the case to be a part of the first team squad. If Locadia is to go on loan then Connolly should be the 4th striker on the roster. A lot of pressure on him to perform last night and he delivered.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Has he got a better Youth/U23’s record than Jake Robinson had for us?

Someone asked the same question about Joe Gatting. The tournament in its current format isn't old enough to bear comparison and we were nowhere near playing at the highest level, other than in the FA Youth Cup, when either of our young pretenders were coming through.

Premier League 2 Division 1 winners

2018/19 Everton
2017/18 Arsenal
2016/17 Everton
2015/16 Manchester United
2014/15 Manchester United
2013/14 Chelsea
2012/13 Manchester United
Premier League Division 2 winners

2018/19 Wolverhampton Wanderers
2017/18 Blackburn Rovers
2016/17 Swansea City
2015/16 Derby County
2014/15 Middlesbrough

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Andy Naylor has some great quotes from Shane Duffy in his article today in the Athletic, including this one;

“He’s fitted right in with the lads. I always look out for him, like a little baby brother. Aaron’s got a real future. If he just keeps grinding away, he will get his chance. He’s a nightmare to mark in training – just so buzzy.”

He does tend to score a high proportion of his goals late in the game, once his markers get mentally exhausted from being dragged everywhere. Aside from his goal last night, he also had one flagged for offside, which was a terrific run along the line, but the through ball, just didn't come quite quick enough. Rather than trying to speculate on the quality of the opposition, I think we have to leave it to Potter and Co, to assess his readiness in training, from playing against our own defenders.

Andy Naylor has some great quotes from Shane Duffy in his article today in the Athletic, including this one;

“He’s fitted right in with the lads. I always look out for him, like a little baby brother. Aaron’s got a real future. If he just keeps grinding away, he will get his chance. He’s a nightmare to mark in training – just so buzzy.”

He does tend to score a high proportion of his goals late in the game, once his markers get mentally exhausted from being dragged everywhere. Aside from his goal last night, he also had one flagged for offside, which was a terrific run along the line, but the through ball, just didn't come quite quick enough. Rather than trying to speculate on the quality of the opposition, I think we have to leave it to Potter and Co, to assess his readiness in training, from playing against our own defenders.

This is actually Shane's sign-off quote:

“He’s a confident boy and he’s confident in his ability. He’s on the right pathway. You just can’t rush him.”

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here