Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jurgen Locadia season-long loan to Hoffenheim

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I'm sure we all wanted him to come good and suddenly show us why we had spent all that money on him. But he was never fast enough, skilful enough or alert enough. After every mediocre performance we would make excuses for him - 'he wasn't played in his best position' etc. But we never found out where that was. And good players can play anywhere..

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Poor Jurgen, scored less than Paul Emblem during a 2nd half.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So now we, #shouldbebeatingteamslike Brighton, have now got some of our players on loan to teams playing in the Bundesliga, the Copa Libertadores, the Champions League - plus a youngster out helping a once important club gain promotion from The Championship.
Just think about it. How amazing is that after finishing second bottom in the fourth division scarcely more than 20 years ago?

teammelli

Jul 25, 2018
I know CH kept us up last season but I do wonder how different of a team we may have had if JL and AJ had had the opportunity to grow and develop in a less defensive mould. Oh well, good luck to you JL

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I know CH kept us up last season but I do wonder how different of a team we may have had if JL and AJ had had the opportunity to grow and develop in a less defensive mould. Oh well, good luck to you JL

I think you are looking at it the wrong way round (unless you are being ironic). We struggled precisely because our two record signings were gash. CH probably felt he had to play them (and sometimes had no option). If our recruitment team had actually signed a half-decent forward and a half-decent winger, we would probably have survived comfortably last season and Chris wouldn't be out of a job.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Poor signing after the initial high hopes. Until you see him play you don't realize how shit he is. It's almost like he doesn't even want to be on a football field.

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
I was home over Christmas and saw the Arsenal and Everton games. He was decent and scored both goals I’ve seen ‘live’ in the Premier League, so thanks for that. I’ve watched all the other games he’s played on tv and he has been average at best, definitely not up to the required standard. It’s a goodbye and good luck from me.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
I won’t be lamenting his departure, he had the rarest of moments but at no time did he ever seem happy at the club. The higher clubs rise the more expensive mistakes are but then again as long as clubs stay in PL those write offs can be absorbed. I think it leaves us short of striking options and I think the only purchases in January will likely be a right back and a striker. I hope AC and Alzate make the step up but only time will tell. It will also open the door to another player who has not shone but seems more enthusiastic and happy at the club.

stingray

Jan 23, 2018
I won’t be lamenting his departure, he had the rarest of moments but at no time did he ever seem happy at the club. The higher clubs rise the more expensive mistakes are but then again as long as clubs stay in PL those write offs can be absorbed. I think it leaves us short of striking options and I think the only purchases in January will likely be a right back and a striker. I hope AC and Alzate make the step up but only time will tell. It will also open the door to another player who has not shone but seems more enthusiastic and happy at the club.

he's simply not a footballer.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Completely disagree, and as per [MENTION=11720]kevo[/MENTION] post, to me it looks like Hughton was lumbered with poor signings (which a number of posters suggested during the summer).

There is literally no evidence to suggest either could or would excel in the PL, it is simply a level too high for both.

Would it have made a difference if Hughton had other, better singings? Maybe but probably not, as his number one priority was staying in the division at all costs, whereas Potter appears to have been tasked with a more expansive approach......

Well IMO anyway [emoji2]

Good luck to Big Jurg.... AJ as well, but unfortunately it looks like a long season for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Imagine how much cash that guy made to come over here and play like a conference striker.

I think even Leon Best gave us more value for money.

Leon Best didn't score the goals against Arsenal and Everton that contributed points towards us not getting relegated from the PL. So nowhere near the 'value for money'.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Agree. Harsh comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knives being stuck in in numbers on this thread now. Not even going to try and defend JL any further, he is gone now, so what’s the point? Shame to see comments like “not even a footballer” resurfacing though.

I hope we have got this right and AC is the cover who will produce and not be the next one to be dismissed as “not up to it” after a few performances. It’s a tough step up for him.

I guess we’ll never know if Potter or JL himself pushed for this loan. In fairness he hasn’t often looked happy here.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Knives being stuck in in numbers on this thread now. Not even going to try and defend JL any further, he is gone now, so what’s the point? Shame to see comments like “not even a footballer” resurfacing though.

Pretty pathetic when you get to the ‘Leon Best’ level of abuse. Every point and goal was valuable last year and he more than helped us get a couple. The same tired old criticisms of being ‘too slow’ to a player who is comfortably faster than last year’s top scorer and the previous year’s player of the year.

He clearly has an ego on him and wanted to be a regular pick for the 1st team, all players should. I’m sure he agitated for the move after being dropped by Potter, the club have said that he wanted regular 1st team football, Potter is still some way off knowing his default best front 3 (unlike the back 3) so impatience has got the better of him.

Best memory of him was the Coventry debut where he looked like the best player on the pitch and a quality signing.

Hopefully he is happy now with a manager who fancies him, I predict he’ll score more than Joe Linton did for them last season. Best of luck to the fella.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

I hope we have got this right and AC is the cover who will produce and not be the next one to be dismissed as “not up to it” after a few performances. It’s a tough step up for him.

I guess we’ll never know if Potter or JL himself pushed for this loan. In fairness he hasn’t often looked happy here.

The knives will be out for Connolly if he has a couple of bad games. I can hear it now: too small, league 1 at best, looks like he's in a boy band etc etc

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
can't be arsed to read all the way through this thread

but just in case nobody has done the obvious

"Can't let go"

:ffsparr:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHsSXiUdteE

p.s. don't listen to the song, it's awful.

anyway, for what it's worth I rated him, but the prospect of 'the prospect' getting some first team game time fills me with deep joy.

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The knives will be out for Connolly if he has a couple of bad games. I can hear it now: too small, league 1 at best, looks like he's in a boy band etc etc

The big ones will be ‘too much of a jump, too soon’ and ‘if he is not scoring goals, what does he actually do?’.

However, the NSC hate squad will probably be too preoccupied with Ali J as their number one target as he is likely to see a lot more action than AC, still, their mouths will be watering like a hungry Malaysian’s at the thought of tucking into the Greyhound once he is let off his leash again.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

That comment is going to be denied left right and centre.
Yet all the historical evidence will suggest it's bang on.

The only thing in Connelly's favour is he didn't come with the baggage of 'record transfer fee', that'll buy him plenty of time.

As said though it's in his, and the club's, best interest if I boo him and get on the wrong side of history in a positive way. :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here