Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our top five rivals

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I find it a bit embarrassing that anyone would think of answering "Man Utd", especially when you consider we have historically played Reading tons of times, and fans neither club like the other much.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
To the outsider/foreigner it must seem very odd that Palace have maybe a dozen clubs far closer to them than we are yet we're streets ahead of the likes of Millwall as their rivals!

Before 1974 Brighton would not have been a rival...Before then its alternated between Millwall and Charlton depending it which league we found our self's in. Not only that there are loads of other nearer and older rivals in London, North Londoners would think of South of the Thames folk as almost foreign back in the day :)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Cardiff? I must've missed that one.

1970s, some bluebird nutters tried to get into the Hungry Years with a harpoon gun.

Early noughties, Cardiff lowlife attacking a 'scarfer' outside Ninian park. General cuntishness.

There is an element of which teams would like most like to beat and which clubs do you hate. 'Rival' is a bit nebulous.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Before 1974 Brighton would not have been a rival...Before then its alternated between Millwall and Charlton depending it which league we found our self's in. Not only that there are loads of other nearer and older rivals in London, North Londoners would think of South of the Thames folk as almost foreign back in the day :)

Tempted to make a joke out of that but I'm Not going to do it.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Pompey? Oh yes them

Interestingly that's also true for Everton, Man City and West Ham so they're in good company none the less. I wonder if their dislike of Leeds is down to when Leeds ran riot back in the late 80's?

For us I'm surprised to see Southampton and Bournemouth so close to Pompey in the dislike stakes. Although thinking about it I'm more surprised that only 34% of Brighton hate pompey. That's a disappointingly low percentage. We need to work on that...

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yes. Man U are of course intensely dislikeable, but we haven't traditionally had much to do with them (unless you're bitter about the 83 final), so naming them as a rival is slightly deluded.

Chesterfield, Cardiff, Boro, Orient, and yes Reading would have been better options, even if those were mostly just a one or two season spat.

I find it a bit embarrassing that anyone would think of answering "Man Utd", especially when you consider we have historically played Reading tons of times, and fans neither club like the other much.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Interesting* that Sheff Weds and Sheff Utd are predictably arch rivals but also have exactly the same lesser rivals and in the same order.

* a bit**.

** alright, not really very interesting at all.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
For us I'm surprised to see Southampton and Bournemouth so close to Pompey in the dislike stakes. Although thinking about it I'm more surprised that only 34% of Brighton hate pompey. That's a disappointingly low percentage. We need to work on that...
I can only assume these people who were asked weren't brought up watching the Albion in the early and mid 80s when Palace were absolute gash (just prior to Bright and Wright) and we were battling Pompey for promotion for 3 or 4 years and the game attracted big crowds at Nottarf Krap and the Goldstone. Pompey were absolute twats then and they are now.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Are you suggesting that they're a weird bunch over there in Norfolk?
It’ll be some sort of poultry dispute a week before Christmas when the Norwich folk were deprived of their Bernard Mathews turkeys.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I can only assume these people who were asked weren't brought up watching the Albion in the early and mid 80s when Palace were absolute gash (just prior to Bright and Wright) and we were battling Pompey for promotion for 3 or 4 years and the game attracted big crowds at Nottarf Krap and the Goldstone. Pompey were absolute twats then and they are now.
I agree that they are twats but rivals ? Nah. That has to be where rival fans battle it out on a fairly even playing field. Pompey took the piss whenever we played them thru the 60’s and 70’s.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2018
Surprised by Portsmouth, I thought there was a mutual respect there for both hating saints?

I would replace Pompey with Gillingham, hated everything about the dark days area and fans alike.
Does anyone else have a hatred of the Gills?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2018
1970s, some bluebird nutters tried to get into the Hungry Years with a harpoon gun.

Early noughties, Cardiff lowlife attacking a 'scarfer' outside Ninian park. General cuntishness.

There is an element of which teams would like most like to beat and which clubs do you hate. 'Rival' is a bit nebulous.

My first game being Cardiff at home in the last season at the Goldstone. Can’t remember the score (maybe 2-0) but do recall getting attacked by a fat Cardiff adult fan in a loverly yellow coat at the age of 14, loverly people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here