Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our top five rivals

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Yes. Man U are of course intensely dislikeable, but we haven't traditionally had much to do with them (unless you're bitter about the 83 final), so naming them as a rival is slightly deluded.

It's the article's headline that calls them 'rivals', which is sloppy journalism really as the question seemed to be 'most loved and most hated teams'. In fact, I've just stuck it into google, and the question was: "Which clubs do you dislike the most?"

So, I can easily see why Man Utd are there.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It's really only palace for me.
Sure Pompey are twats and Saints are a bunch of pricks.
But I only really consider Palace to be true rivals.

I revel in their every misfortune.
A great night tonight after the despair of Saturday.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It's really only palace for me.
Sure Pompey are twats and Saints are a bunch of pricks.
But I only really consider Palace to be true rivals.

I revel in there every misfortune.
A great night tonight after the despair of Saturday.

Correct. And here endeth the thread. Nothing more to see folks!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
No idea why Man Utd's in that list.

Leyton Orient and Chesterfield, surely?

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
#twats

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
For me :
1. Portsmouth !
2. Palace
3. I can just about see a rivally with Southampton emerging gradually over time - particularly if palace go down.
4. Should be Crawley but we never play them.

The rest ? pah.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Palace, obvs, bust only really because We're all told so . . . . It's ingrained but the original incident was before I started supporting.

Manure,. 1983. Have always had a dislike for them.

Stains, don't know why, just unpleasant. Likewise Spurs.

Leyton Orient, always rowdy matches in the 90's. On and off the field.

Cardiff, likewise, and they trashed the station pub, which was most annoying.

It's all so sterile now most of it will fade away soon enough.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Surprised by Portsmouth, I thought there was a mutual respect there for both hating saints?

I would replace Pompey with Gillingham, hated everything about the dark days area and fans alike.
Does anyone else have a hatred of the Gills?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eh? Surprised by Portsmouth? How long have you supported this club? They are much more of a rival to us than Southampton.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Eh? Surprised by Portsmouth? How long have you supported this club? They are much more of a rival to us than Southampton.

I started going in the mid seventies and don’t recall playing Portsmouth that often tbh

Just checked -a total of 15 games between 1976 and 1992 and hardly at all since

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
For me :
1. Portsmouth !
2. Palace
3. I can just about see a rivally with Southampton emerging gradually over time - particularly if palace go down.
4. Should be Crawley but we never play them.

The rest ? pah.

The 'rivalry' with Southampton was fueled by the 1978 stitch up as well as the more recent "Can they keep up? " years. Things always used to get extra tasty when we played them after that.

SAC

May 21, 2014
It's the article's headline that calls them 'rivals', which is sloppy journalism really as the question seemed to be 'most loved and most hated teams'. In fact, I've just stuck it into google, and the question was: "Which clubs do you dislike the most?"

So, I can easily see why Man Utd are there.

Dislike of a club and rivalry are different, in my opinion. The two clubs I dislike more than any others are probably Man U and Liverpool but I consider neither to be a rival.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

Since 1997
I know a few Pompey fans and the “rivalry”
Has never come up

Maybe im personally impacted by knowing a couple of saints fans who are both ****s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I'd consider our main rivals: Palace, Pompey, Leeds.

Second-tier rivalry: Soton, Crawley, Orient (maybe Utd and Bournemouth thrown into the mix).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'd consider our main rivals: Palace, Pompey, Leeds.

Second-tier rivalry: Soton, Crawley, Orient (maybe Utd and Bournemouth thrown into the mix).
Leeds?

Palace, Portsmouth, and, er, that's it.

How the hell are we supposed to be rivals with Leeds, Man U and Bournemouth?

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Leeds?

Palace, Portsmouth, and, er, that's it.

How the hell are we supposed to be rivals with Leeds, Man U and Bournemouth?

Remember what happened when we played WACCOE at Elland Road in 2012? Our games against them have always been a little bit naughty.

But come on, we're isolated here on the South coast. We need an excuse to have an extra enemy or two :lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As some others have pointed out, there seems to be a fundamental difference that some people are ignoring - the difference between actively disliking another club, and having a rivalry with them.

Palace are our only proper rival, and even that got stretched over the 90's and 00's due to the infrequency we played them. Since we climbed out of the noddy leagues though, its certainly returned. The disdain HAS to be fully mutual in order for it to be considered a rivalry.

Pompey, Leeds, Man Utd, Liverpool are clearly not rivals, but I actively dislike them, and revel in any misfortune that befalls them. Pompey's huge decline has been and continues to be a source of great joy to me over the last few years. Leeds have also been hilarious. I'm also greatly enjoying Man U's steady downward curve. Its only Liverpool who are being annoying and insufferable at the moment, that CL win was certainly irksome. But at least they probably won't win the League, and the fact they came so close last season and still failed was very enjoyable. Long may that continue to continue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here