Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Aberystwyth Town 1 TNS 10

BBC website threw up this result in the Welsh Premier League this evening, so I just had to investigate! 'Typo' I thought but no, it wasn't like the presumed USA 1 England 10 in 1950.Three sendings-off I speculated but no, the match finished 11 v 11. Top v bottom clash? Nope, they were level even on goal difference at the start. Maybe the poster from the shamed town can give us an explanation...

Screenshot_20190827-000838.png

Last edited:

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Are they dancing in the streets of Network Solutions at the result?

(Someone's got to keep these traditions alive.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Aber v TNS. The only game of football I’ve ever seen live where the game has been abandoned mid-match.

Went into the clubhouse at the start of HT for a drink, by the time we came out for the start of the second half there was already a couple of centimetres of snow.

Anyway, carry on.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
TNS always win the Welsh Premier League, as posted above, the Celtic of Wales, yet ironically play in Oswestry, which is in England [just].

Always on local radio sports news - they were in the Champions League last month [they are every year] and as usual, got knocked out in round one so dropped to the Europa League.
Sports presenter James Bond [yes, that's his real name] on Radio Shropshire made a joke of TNS now dropping down to the same competition that Wolves are in ....
If Wolves played TNS I would expect a similar 10-1 scoreline

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Excellent, I've never read anything about that match. What were the goal times (roughly), how many different scorers were there and was there a substantial following from Wisbech? ( pronounced 'Whiz beach' for those who don't know).

3-0 at half time, and north stand chanted for Wisbech at one time in the second half after two Wisbech players waltzed through the Brighton defence and scored straight from KO. Three home matches in a week. Missed the next weekend v Southend.

smartferndale

Mar 21, 2013
Brighton thrashed Wisbech and next home game did the same to Southend. The days of the great Charlie Lives. I played against Aberystwyth one week after they beat Hereford who themselves had just beaten Newcastle. We were convincing ourselves that if victorious we were First Division material.
3 1 up the Welsh international mid fielder comes on and lose 3 -5.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Seems like the result was unjustified according to the home side's match report:

Incredible as it may seem, Aber dominated the first twenty five minutes of proceedings, creating chance after chance. Joe Phillips’ cross found Luke Boundford whose super header was parried to safety by the acrobatic Paul Harrison, and Wes Baynes had a shot saved before Whitehouse opened the scoring against the run of play after Blaine Hudson picked out his smart run down the right wing, allowing him to dispatch a low shot under Alex Pennock.

The irrepressible Phillips then hit the post with a back post drive, and Boundford had another goalbound effort parried over dramatically by Harrison, to leave Aber behind in the scoreline but way ahead on points.

https://www.atfc.org.uk/home/aberystwyth-town-1-the-new-saints-10-match-report

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
To be fair, you're not stopping a full fit and in form Bill Whitehouse. When he's in the mood, he's a goalscorer in the Francis Jeffers mould.

Deadly.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here