Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Greatest English/British sporting moments ever

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
1988 GB Men's Hockey Team Olympic Champions including players from East Grinstead Hockey Club.

2016 GB Women's Hockey Team Olympic Champions having beaten World Champions Netherlands In the Final.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Danny willet winning in augusta and his brothers reaction to the americans on Twitter!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It was just a group qualifier game though. Beckham's dramatic injury time free kick against Greece in the same group was maybe more important.

Really, as had we not beaten Germany we would have been in a play game against Austria. Beating Germany in their own back yard by 5-1 and you dismiss it as just another qualifier! :facepalm:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
1988 GB Men's Hockey Team Olympic Champions including players from East Grinstead Hockey Club.

2016 GB Women's Hockey Team Olympic Champions having beaten World Champions Netherlands In the Final.

'And where was the German defence and, frankly, who cares'. Great Barry Davies commentary.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Really, as had we not beaten Germany we would have been in a play game against Austria. Beating Germany in their own back yard by 5-1 and you dismiss it as just another qualifier! :facepalm:

I think if you google that period you will see the error in your post. We won that game, then lost the home game 0-1 if I remember rightly.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
3 different British cyclists winning the 3 cycling Grand Tours - the first time 3 different riders from the same nation have achieved it - was pretty impressive last year

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Red Rum’s third National victory in 1977.

Desert Orchid’s Gold Cup win in 1989.

Tour De France - Wiggins first win.

Lewis Hamilton overtakes on the final corner of 2008 F1 season to win his first title.

Tony Jacklin winning the British and US Opens, following years of us being also-rans at golf.

Torturing horses is not sport
Hamilton won the championship at Silverstone in the rain, majestic drive ( I was there all weekend qualified Saturday, and raced on the same wet grease 20 minutes after he finished)
Wiggins, yes, agreed. Big medicine team fuelled sport though.
Golf is a game/past time with numbers added for gambling.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
England and UK have been blessed with world champions and record breakers but in terms of superhuman efforts Stokes is up there with Daley Thompson, Steve Redgrave, Chris Hoy and Ian Botham.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Mcilroy winning 5 majors in a short time. Speaking of golf, some of those epic comebacks in the Ryder Cup springs to mind.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Another possible

Germany 1 - England 5.

Maybe?

Watched that with John Keeley in that bar opposite Worthing town hall , we were comprehensively drunk but we agreed we would never forget that night..... All the goals scored by Liverpool players as I recall ?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think if you google that period you will see the error in your post. We won that game, then lost the home game 0-1 if I remember rightly.

No, the error is yours. We lost at home first, the last game at wembley and possibly Keegan's last in charge. We needed to win and then we beat Albania before drawing with Greece.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
No, the error is yours. We lost at home first, the last game at wembley and possibly Keegan's last in charge. We needed to win and then we beat Albania before drawing with Greece.

I stand corrected.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here