Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Greatest English/British sporting moments ever

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Would have preferred just English but the Olympics team are British... been a few and today in the Ashes was one of them, what would you add or subtract from this?

1954 - Roger Bannisters 3 minute mile
1966 - England World Cup
1980 - Seb Coe, Steve Ovett
1981 - Botham's Ashes
1984 - Daley Thompson
2003 - England Rugby World Cup
2012 - Olympics Super Saturday
2019 - England Cricket ODI World Champions
2019 - Stokesy's never to forget victory over the Aussies

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Would have preferred just English but the Olympics team are British... been a few and today in the Ashes was one of them, what would you add or subtract from this?

1966 - England World Cup
1980 - Seb Coe, Steve Ovett
1981 - Botham's Ashes
1984 - Daley Thompson
2003 - England Rugby World Cup
2012 - Olympics Super Saturday
2019 - England Cricket ODI World Champions
2019 - Stokesy's never to forget victory over the Aussies

Where are Torvell & Dean?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Wow Sir Roger still holds the World Record after 65 years, amazing

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Would have preferred just English but the Olympics team are British... been a few and today in the Ashes was one of them

Fully agree that it was one of the greatest English / British sporting moments ever. Just a shame it wasn't available on terrestial TV. I heard the final few overs on the radio as I happened to be in the car on my own and it was gripping stuff. My sports-mad kids, however, don't even know it happened and most likely never will, or will only have a passing interest measured in nano-seconds.

Non-terrestial TV coverage will strangle cricket in this country all the while heroics like today are not freely available for all to watch and marvel in. Shame.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Fully agree that it was one of the greatest English / British sporting moments ever. Just a shame it wasn't available on terrestial TV. I heard the final few overs on the radio as I happened to be in the car on my own and it was gripping stuff. My sports-mad kids, however, don't even know it happened and most likely never will, or will only have a passing interest measured in nano-seconds.

Non-terrestial TV coverage will strangle cricket in this country all the while heroics like today are not freely available for all to watch and marvel in. Shame.

Not sure many more would have watched the Botham match at Headingly on terrestrial to be fair.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
2000 - Steve Redgrave's 5th Olympic gold medal

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The brilliant Simon Jones and his reverse swing. Unplayable.

I wouldn't put that down as a greatest sporting moment but he was unplayable and a joy to watch. Shame his career was cut short by injury.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Maybe people other than Liverpool and Spurs fans will be talking about those two semi finals in years to come?

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Red Rum’s third National victory in 1977.

Desert Orchid’s Gold Cup win in 1989.

Tour De France - Wiggins first win.

Lewis Hamilton overtakes on the final corner of 2008 F1 season to win his first title.

Tony Jacklin winning the British and US Opens, following years of us being also-rans at golf.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here