Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Shane Duffy

eastterracemike

Jan 31, 2008
Am I alone in thinking that Shane does not appear very comfortable with the new system and this has been reflected in his performances so far this season ? 3 big clearance headers missed against west ham last week and some responsibility for the first saints goal. I would not be surprised to see Adam Webster play vs man city. Its an interesting one for Potter.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Am I alone in thinking that Shane does not appear very comfortable with the new system and this has been reflected in his performances so far this season ? 3 big clearance headers missed against west ham last week and some responsibility for the first saints goal. I would not be surprised to see Adam Webster play vs man city. Its an interesting one for Potter.

I agree. I have a feeling he will be eased out over this season one way or another.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Has been discussed here :thumbsup:
https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?374975-Duffy-today-and-Duffy-vs-Citeh

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I noticed a slight change yesterday, Duffy was definitely looking to bring the ball out more than in the first two matches. He also made some better angles for Burn, by moving into pockets of space, rather than simply sitting back.

Give him a chance to adapt fully and he'll be alright.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I think it is more likely that Solly is moved out and Burn goes to left wing back with Webster coming in , why because neither of our current wing backs are particularly good at crossing the ball whereas Burn has really proved to be very good.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I'm suprised we have seen a rigid formation for the first 3 games with changes only coming in the front 3. I expected to see us play 4 at the back against West Ham and Southampton with them only playing 1 centre forward

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I think it is more likely that Solly is moved out and Burn goes to left wing back with Webster coming in , why because neither of our current wing backs are particularly good at crossing the ball whereas Burn has really proved to be very good.

Nah, Super Dan Burn is our Murray replacement. GPOTT is slowly realising he has a cross between Crouch and Ronaldo on his hands. SDB to be PL top scorer.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I know he’s been MOM but I’m not sure if Burn is that comfortable charging down the line. He’s powerful and fairly quick but sadly doesn’t have the ball skills and composure to cause teams problems. His true position is CH.

Duffy looked uncomfortable on the ball. I remember Neil Warnock’s Cardiff allowing el abd to carry the ball well into their half because they knew he couldn’t pass or dribble so would lose it with a massive hole behind him. The same will happen to Duffy.

We haven’t paid £24m for Webster to sit on the bench.

Pintos

Jul 28, 2005
Oxted
I know he’s been MOM but I’m not sure if Burn is that comfortable charging down the line. He’s powerful and fairly quick but sadly doesn’t have the ball skills and composure to cause teams problems. His true position is CH.

Duffy looked uncomfortable on the ball. I remember Neil Warnock’s Cardiff allowing el abd to carry the ball well into their half because they knew he couldn’t pass or dribble so would lose it with a massive hole behind him. The same will happen to Duffy.

We haven’t paid £24m for Webster to sit on the bench.

Your Cardiff reference is more relevant than you think - it was Duffy not El-Abd that they deliberately allowed play to go through, with a striker man-marking Dunk. It worked, we drew 0-0 in a dismal game.

(Warnock joined Cardiff in 2016, 2 years after El-Abd left us)

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Whether he is comfortable or not, he is an excellent defender. And his job first and foremost is to defend so I don’t see an issue.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Just seen replay of first goal. Looks like our system of Dunk central. Duffy to the right and Bunn to the left went to pot. Not sure if we had just had a corner. Dunk failed with a tackle on the left well in there half then Duffy missed a tackle in our half again on left just in our half. Once ball crossed to scorer no cover.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Hmm...three games in....give it time before passing too much judgement

Yes, applies to Burn as well.

Burn has been excellent in the main, but (and I know this will be unpopular), he has been culpable for two goals.

Completely switched off for Southampton’s. Second on Saturday, and played West Ham onside.

There is no doubt he has been a revelation in many respects, and way better than I’d anticipated, but still needs to do better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

el punal

Echoing my thoughts here. At the end of last season my predictions were that Chris Hughton would honourably resign (sort of got that one wrong!) and that Knockaert would be shipped out. When Graham Potter came in I felt that Duffy’s position as a starting centre back might be under threat. Where Dunk and Burn have excelled I tend to think Duffy has not. Brave and courageous he certainly is, right man for these times - maybe not.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Your Cardiff reference is more relevant than you think - it was Duffy not El-Abd that they deliberately allowed play to go through, with a striker man-marking Dunk. It worked, we drew 0-0 in a dismal game.

Yes, I was posting crap and thanks for correcting me. Not sure why I was thinking of Duffy but writing El Abd. I blame the cricket celebrations

matt

Mar 19, 2007

We won 1-0 with a latish Hemed goal (keeper howler I think). The tactic definitely worked well for most of the game though.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
We lost a game, it is found needed to criticise a player, in this case Duffers. Sad, true and never ending BS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here