Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Shane Duffy

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Hmm...three games in....give it time before passing too much judgement

Seems a lot of NSC posters can tell the quality of a player from just a 20 minute appearance so 3 whole games is plenty of time to form a judgement!!

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I think it is more likely that Solly is moved out and Burn goes to left wing back with Webster coming in , why because neither of our current wing backs are particularly good at crossing the ball whereas Burn has really proved to be very good.

March has been one of our best players so far this season.

Time was that being player of the season might give you a few games at least before you got booted out of the team

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Time was that being player of the season might give you a few games at least before you got booted out of the team

Time was there was no internet and you didn't have to read/listen to drivel from people that just don't get football.

eastterracemike

Jan 31, 2008
Happened with Pascal as well - a certain cohort on NSC couldn't wait to boot him out of the XI.

I think if you read my post I wasn't suggesting he should be booted out but that Potter had a decision to make . It is obvious that he will change the team according to circumstsnces. I think Man City represent a slightly different proposition to our first 3 opponents. I would be delighted if Shane were to regain his form from last season. Just posing the question thats all!

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I hope that Shane discovers some real form because we certainly need him. Yes we paid a lot for Webster but he has been a championship player to date. He may come off in the PL but he may not. SD has been outstanding in the PL for us and is a current international of standing. DB has looked great for us outside of the penalty area but inside it, he needs to improve at both ends.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
March has been one of our best players so far this season.

He plays well but is not able to cross the ball, Dan Burn has shown how it should be done. Note I am not saying he should be dropped , I am saying that IMO it is more likely than Duffy be moved out.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
From the beeb....
Defenders in Top Five Euro Leagues: 2018-19

Competition Duels Duels Won Duels Success

Virgil van Dijk English Premier League 321 245 76.3%
Marcelo French Ligue 1 325 237 72.9%
Harry Maguire English Premier League 249 181 72.7%
Salif Sané German Bundesliga 307 219 71.3%
Shane Duffy English Premier League 340 238 70.0%

Statistically the 5th most effective defender in Europe last season. Interesting.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
From the beeb....
Defenders in Top Five Euro Leagues: 2018-19

Competition Duels Duels Won Duels Success

Virgil van Dijk English Premier League 321 245 76.3%
Marcelo French Ligue 1 325 237 72.9%
Harry Maguire English Premier League 249 181 72.7%
Salif Sané German Bundesliga 307 219 71.3%
Shane Duffy English Premier League 340 238 70.0%

Statistically the 5th most effective defender in Europe last season. Interesting.

Statistics can be a little misleading. Yes he is great in the air, 187 of those 238 battles won were aerial duels.

But last season he only made 35 tackles, with a success rate of 57%.according to the Premier League staticians.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

FIVESTEPS

Nov 3, 2014
Post on Ireland football forum, Duffy really tried to pass it into midfield and burst into space to open them up and cut down on the aimless long balls.He was the bravest player in getting on the ball.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Post on Ireland football forum, Duffy really tried to pass it into midfield and burst into space to open them up and cut down on the aimless long balls.He was the bravest player in getting on the ball.

There's been lots of unfair posts about hos footballing ability on here in the last week or so. This says to me he's serious about trying to adapt and prove some people wrong to get his place back

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
There's been lots of unfair posts about hos footballing ability on here in the last week or so. This says to me he's serious about trying to adapt and prove some people wrong to get his place back

Shocked so many are writing our player of the year off in terms of ‘I’d sell him’ just because he’s less suited to the style. He’s a terrific defender and we’d be mad to sell him in my opinion. Can’t believe how many write players off or forget their abilities after a good result!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Statistics can be a little misleading. Yes he is great in the air, 187 of those 238 battles won were aerial duels.

But last season he only made 35 tackles, with a success rate of 57%.according to the Premier League staticians.

One per game, the same as Virgil van Dyke. And according to whoscored Duffy was the 35th best player in the prem last season

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Shocked so many are writing our player of the year off in terms of ‘I’d sell him’ just because he’s less suited to the style. He’s a terrific defender and we’d be mad to sell him in my opinion. Can’t believe how many write players off or forget their abilities after a good result!

Like the fools who wrote of Southgate after the Czech fail.

Oops....I was one of them

:facepalm:

Actually this is about unconscious bias. We are suspicious of Duffy for some reason, as I was pondering as I walked the banks of the river...what was that river?

And Southgate is Palace, after all.

I hold up my hand to confess my prejudices.
It will be good to see Duffer back.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's inevitable ......... innit .................

As we move along, some of our favourites will be moved long and replaced (the plan, presumably, is to replace with someone better\). Is this Duffy's time? I don't know, but looking at his appearances this season (regardless of him missing a few with a knock) maybe his time is up?

Over to you, Mr. Potter ...............................................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here