Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] STERNS nightclub.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
Interesting. I did go a few times but not really my scene, I thought Chris Chapman owned and ran it?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I lived quite close to Sterns, even had someone park in my drive once, but as they even parked on the central reservation of the A24 given the volume of traffic it wasn’t that big a surprise. I never once saw or heard anything that bad. Seemed to be a good natured type of attendee and not at all rowdy and thuggish. Maybe the drugs did work :smile:

Never felt the need to go, although my then 14/15/16 year old son did go occasionally, without my knowledge at the time.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Thanks for posting.
I went more in the 80’s, but interesting all the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Brilliant place

From what i can remember obviously.

I heard that their was a film about Mensa in the making. Did it ever get off the ground?

Edit: it is waiting to be released.

Last edited:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
People tend to forget pre drug den at Sterns. I started going there before the Underground was built in the early 80s as me and my mates lived in EP and regularly short of cash could walk or stagger from the Roundstone. As the place got busier and they built the underground with state of the art DJ equipment and lighting it was still a great place to go and absolutely rocking. For reason of the the aforementioned, for us lot it was great to have the busiest pub (Roundstone) and club in the area. By the 90s I'd got married and missed the drug/rave culture that was going on. Many have told me it was still a fantastic club though, quite ground breaking by all accounts.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
People tend to forget pre drug den at Sterns. I started going there before the Underground was built in the early 80s as me and my mates lived in EP and regularly short of cash could walk or stagger from the Roundstone. As the place got busier and they built the underground with state of the art DJ equipment and lighting it was still a great place to go and absolutely rocking. For reason of the the aforementioned, for us lot it was great to have the busiest pub (Roundstone) and club in the area. By the 90s I'd got married and missed the drug/rave culture that was going on. Many have told me it was still a fantastic club though, quite ground breaking by all accounts.

I only went a couple of times myself. Although it was a great night it was becoming far too popular for its own good and also the safety side of things. Yes as the article says they came from all over to attend. As ground-breaking as the ascienda apparently.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I went a few times and for the time there was remarkably hardly any aggro

Especially as in the norf, northern soul clubs in Wigan etc were being closed due to all the trouble.....followed up of course by the specials ghost town!

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I knew people who went, but nothing about it appealed.

Scooter rallies northern soul/ska. . . . .and playing in a band myself won over. Frankly the 80's/90's dance music was ****ing shit to my ears.

Looking back now, and looking at the state of people . . . .you can easily tell who got 'into' the various scenes.

Rave etc was effectively the new 'mod' pill popping all nighters. Good on them.

Jul 7, 2003

Always a good night out back in the 80's with the added advantage of rarely being able to get a can so a long walk home to sober up. Given the only local competition originally was the Carioca in Worthing it was always packed.

Then Bubbles and Bensons came along, soon to be followed by Rutherfords and Twenties which took the main stream clubbers away from Sterns and probably forced the change of direction that made it the legendary place it is now.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Adored that place and dominated my teenage weekends. Unfortunately was gone by the time I was 20 and far too early. don't think a club experience has ever come close since.

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
Awesome place and venue, loved it!!

Theyve been having Sterns reunions recently down the Volks I believe, not been to one but heard they still banging the tunes out!!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Adored that place and dominated my teenage weekends. Unfortunately was gone by the time I was 20 and far too early. don't think a club experience has ever come close since.

The Shark Club (next to the shark bar) was the closest anything else came. Music was less hardcore but enjoyed some great DJ's in its relatively short life span.

Other than that we had to wait for Big Beat Boutique at the Concord. The first wave of them were brilliant nights.

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
The Shark Club (next to the shark bar) was the closest anything else came. Music was less hardcore but enjoyed some great DJ's in its relatively short life span.

Other than that we had to wait for Big Beat Boutique at the Concord. The first wave of them were brilliant nights.

What about a Fri night at the Escape or was it Thurs.....some good hardcore tunes in there especially with NAM and the MC having it off!!

Happy Exile

NSC Patreon
Apr 19, 2018
What about a Fri night at the Escape or was it Thurs.....some good hardcore tunes in there especially with NAM and the MC having it off!!

Loved Big Beat Boutique at the Concorde. Friday at the Escape I only remember for Thank Funk it's Friday. A lot of good trance nights at the Honey Club midweek a few years later as well, always preferred that to the Zap which seemed over-hyped to me. Used to love the Jazz Rooms and an indie fix at Sister Ray's at the Underground too, though that was maybe a few years earlier. Good times.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here