Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Booing Valery WTF

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Some of you lot must be fun at parties. Yes it was a bad challenge - not that everyone will have seen it at the time - and of course it deserved a red. I've no problem with booing though. It's a partisan home game and he got up and played on. What do you want a whip round for a 'Get well soon' card and a bunch of flowers with 3 points attached?

Boston28

Feb 7, 2014
I guess it was the same people in the stadium who applauded andone as he walked off the pitch knowing he had just thrown the game away for us!

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I didn't see the challenge properly. It happened so quickly. But then I knew the referee was in a position to so accepted the verdict. For that reason I gave Andone no applause. Knowing what a hot head he is I guessed it was naturally a dangerous move.

I was a bit agitated by the boos. It shows a classless ignorance. I'm all for partisan support. But what I heard was the part of the game I don't enjoy. They'll always be a sound from the sewers at matches. The reality is at least the majority of folk don't get involved.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Loads around me applauding Andone. I simply can't get it in my head why anyone would want to do that. Even without the clearest view it was a red all day long. The effects of that may well be felt for the rest of the season. Make no mistake we are now under serious pressure and behind where we need to be. Just winning against Burnley still leaves us behind and, without one of the most ridiculous challenges I've seen from a Brighton player, I truly believe we'd have won that game. Utter utter moron.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It was just as clear from where I was sitting in the WSU.

Booing Valery and applauding Andone as he walked off was as unclassy as you can get. Some were actually standing to applaud Andone as if he had taken one for the team!!

Agree. I sit in WSU too and the second it happened I said to my fellows 'that's a straight red' and nobody argued. And then it was. People clapping Flozza off and booing Valery - as pathetic as those who booed Muzza every time he returned with another club.

However.....watching the replay....you can see what Flozza was trying to do....get in there and shield the ball....but it all went horribly wrong.....I would be disappointed if Flozza gets a five match ban.

Back to OP's point, I was also embarrassed by the howling over Stain's timewasting and grabbing some extra yards for throws, chants against VAR, and the playground 'you don't know what you're doing'ing at the ref. The latter took me back to the dim days of the fourth tier, when we were being reffed away at Chesterfield by part time schoolteachers (if we were lucky) and plucky postmen.

When ever I need the occasional 'wake up and smell the coffee - we are not, and never will be a 'big club'' reminder, some of our support is a social service that never fails to deliver.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Loads around me applauding Andone. I simply can't get it in my head why anyone would want to do that. Even without the clearest view it was a red all day long. The effects of that may well be felt for the rest of the season. Make no mistake we are now under serious pressure and behind where we need to be. Just winning against Burnley still leaves us behind and, without one of the most ridiculous challenges I've seen from a Brighton player, I truly believe we'd have won that game. Utter utter moron.
Behind what? You didn’t ever think this season we would be top 10?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm in WSL towards the south end and didn't get a good view and whilst I didn't boo/applaud I guess I could understand others with same limited view doing so.

Having seen the replays I hope Potter can sort Andone out, will be a big gamble to start him again anytime soon. He's hardly a prolific scorer and if thuggery is his MO then he needs to find a different sport

I have no idea what excuse those in the ESL will use, whatever it is it certainly won't be justifiable.
We could see it was a sending off before it happened and yet people around me still brayed and clapped. :shrug:

I couldn't have been more excited about the day, from 2 till 3:30pm, then I couldn't wait to get back to work today.

Nobody should ever be applauded for making someone else look forward to work.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I was in East Stand upper and my instant reaction was that it was an awful tackle. Those around me though thought the guy was play acting and were happily booing him. Just awful. On a cautionary note though players do bring this on themselves rather by diving and play acting. Mind you cue in Andone here. I recall him falling to the ground without being touched.

His attitude is all wrong and until this is changed he should be nowhere near the squad let alone the team. We cannot afford to give any points away like yesterday.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Yes, and a commiseratory hand on the shoulder too.

There’s a time for a fatherly hand on the shoulder and sympathy/empathy, and there’s a time for a studied stare into the distance followed by a bollocking in private. Definitely the latter in Andone’s case yesterday, imo. I think Potter called that wrong.

Agreed.
I thought booing under those circumstances was disgraceful but those that did seemed to justify their behaviour on the basis that Valery was not crippled and was soon running about the pitch.
They seem to have lost sight of the fact that it was Andone's action that was worthy of instant dismissal, not the impact on his victim.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
The ‘tackle’ was horrific by a player who is becoming a liability. Luckily Valery escaped a broken leg.

Booing him was embarrassing.

Applauding Andone off was even more embarrassing.

I was also slightly annoyed that Potter shook his hand and patted him on the back as he walked off, but this appears to be his management style.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Ok, for those of you booing Valery after Andone tried to snap his leg in two, WHY? What is your reasoning? Or did you just hear someone else do it and like the good sheep that you are you just had to Baaa along? Personally I would like to see Andone rubbed out for 5 games for that. He could have destroyed the guys career and yet here you are booing the victim? Too be honest hearing you boo was downright embarrassing.
Behave. Football is entertainment, like Panto.

And to say Andone tried to snap his leg is utter bollocks. He was robust, careless and deserved a red card, but he wasn't trying to do Valery.

Watch the challenge again and you can see he caught the player accidentally. It was hardly a Knockaert on Smith tackle, just clumsy.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
This thread is embarassing.

It's a deliberately biased football crowd, intent on garnering favour with the officials and to make them second guess themselves.

We're not in the business of what ifs, he got up and walked away from it and continued playing which in my mind is fair game to carry on trying to influence the referee.

There's a big difference between this and Derby fans boo'ing March as he was stretchered off.

Utterly embarassing comments, should we have held hands and had a candle-lit vigil for the rest of the match whilst berating our own player? Give your heads a wobble for ****s sake.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Behave. Football is entertainment, like Panto.

And to say Andone tried to snap his leg is utter bollocks. He was robust, careless and deserved a red card, but he wasn't trying to do Valery.

Watch the challenge again and you can see he caught the player accidentally. It was hardly a Knockaert on Smith tackle, just clumsy.

Just clumsy but nearly broke the man's leg. He had to have lengthy treatment and was subbed off very quickly in the second half.
Nobody is saying Andone meant it, in fact, he stayed on for a while to apologise.

:facepalm:

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I didn't boo, nor did I applaud Andone off the pitch as I saw some doing. But from where I was sat, it looked like both were going for the ball and both expected a collision so both turned their backs, with Valery also dropping to his knee, to protect themselves and Andone fell on Valery. The ref was quick to show the red, so I assumed he saw something worse in it. But I suspect I wasn't the only one who didn't see it as a particularly bad challenge at first. And while I assumed the ref saw something, I imagine others assumed it the ref was inept or against us and that it was not the potential leg breaker we now know it to be.

Lets not forget, Valery got up and carried on with the game without showing any obvious signs of serious injury. Yes, it was more due to good fortune that the challenge didn't hurt him, and yes he did go off early in the second half, but if you didn't think there was anything wrong in the challenge and you see the victim get up and run around like nothing happened, you'll assume you're right and there was nothing in it.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
It happened so fast I couldnt see it either, I thought it was more an elbow and the land on him that did the 'harm'. Im not sure if I boo'd or not tbh but I can see why people did boo as without a reply its hard to see challenges sometimes.

Still who cares about boo'ing a player who got fouled? He didnt get hurt, yes he could have but he didnt and its a football match trying to build atmosphere.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I was in East Stand upper and my instant reaction was that it was an awful tackle. Those around me though thought the guy was play acting and were happily booing him. Just awful. On a cautionary note though players do bring this on themselves rather by diving and play acting. Mind you cue in Andone here. I recall him falling to the ground without being touched.

His attitude is all wrong and until this is changed he should be nowhere near the squad let alone the team. We cannot afford to give any points away like yesterday.

I assume you heard the audible gasp as the ‘tackle’ went in.......Andone was a silly boy..as he was a bit earlier in the game when challenging the goalie as he rushed outside of his penalty box..he was looking sharp yesterday and giving there defence some problems ..you want a forward who puts himself about ..unfortunately he steps just over the line ..unlike some i’m not writing him off just yet..three match ban after he’d been given a start will give him food for thought over where he goes from here

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Some of you lot must be fun at parties. Yes it was a bad challenge - not that everyone will have seen it at the time - and of course it deserved a red. I've no problem with booing though. It's a partisan home game and he got up and played on. What do you want a whip round for a 'Get well soon' card and a bunch of flowers with 3 points attached?

If that's your idea of giggles at a party glad I'm not invited. People booing simply show a lack of class and supreme ignorance. And the " did not see it clearly excuse is lame.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here