Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] View from the away end

Bowers-sfc

forever red, never blue
Feb 20, 2011
Good evening,

Weird one today...
Although we managed to somehow get 3 points, most our fans walked away talking about the negatives from our team and how we set up and played.

I think you were all over us, with 11 men and then ten I thought you were still the better team IMO.
If it wasn’t for that silly challenge ( il admit, at first I thought it was one of ours getting sent off and didn’t seem to bad watching it live ) I think you would have comfortably won. We couldn’t handle the pressure down that left flank with Dan Burn, who I thought was immense for you today.

Anyway,
I think with how Potter has you playing you will be comfortable this season.

Here’s a photo from the away end just before kick off. Not quite as good as my one last season.

What was with the empty seats in east stand today? Is that normally like that in that part of the ground? Or just holidays / v shit opposition?

0DBB55A3-0B42-4FED-AA4E-001F4E205E20.jpeg

Last edited:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Seems a fair summary of what I viewed from the home end...

We looked clearly the better side (or at least were playing much the better football) for the first 20mins. To be fair, you had weathered the storm to some extent by the time of the sending off - but with 11 v 11 we looked very likely winners.

Empty seats due to Summer holidays. Lots of families especially in ESL.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Good evening,

Weird one today...
Although we managed to somehow get 3 points, most our fans walked away talking about the negatives from our team and how we set up and played.

I think you were all over us, with 11 men and then ten I thought you were still the better team IMO.
If it wasn’t for that silly challenge ( il admit, at first I thought it was one of ours getting sent off and didn’t seem to bad watching it live ) I think you would have comfortably won. We couldn’t handle the pressure down that left flank with Dan Burn, who I thought was immense for you today.

Anyway,

Here’s a photo from the away end just before kick off. Not quite as good as my one last season.

What was with the empty seats in east stand today? Is that normally like that in that part of the ground? Or just holidays / v shit opposition?

View attachment 114692

I thought our 3-4-2 system was a bit of a shambles and Southampton successfully disrupted our flow of play. Five empty seats (not all season ticket seats) next to me for the first time for a couple of years.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Good evening,

Weird one today...

Anyway,

Quick but accurate view. Ref was diabolical with us not getting a VAR in your penalty area for handball and your sub who scored elbowing Montoya in the neck/throat when he was in full flight and only getting a yellow which was potentially very dangerous. I feel we were much the better side, as you highlighted, but most sensible people on NSC have taken the positives with a few trolls coming out of the woodwork on our first defeat this season. As I've alluded once or twice it feels like daylight robbery.

Bowers-sfc

forever red, never blue
Feb 20, 2011
Quick but accurate view. Ref was diabolical with us not getting a VAR in your penalty area for handball and your sub who scored elbowing Montoya in the neck/throat when he was in full flight and only getting a yellow which was potentially very dangerous. I feel we were much the better side, as you highlighted, but most sensible people on NSC have taken the positives with a few trolls coming out of the woodwork on our first defeat this season. As I've alluded once or twice it feels like daylight robbery.

The ref did not have a great game at all yesterday. Very very inconsistent....

And as for VAR, lesss said about that the better. I know we were on the positive side of it against you yesterday, but I’m really not a fan.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

And as for VAR, lesss said about that the better. I know we were on the positive side of it against you yesterday, but I’m really not a fan.

He’s a shocking ref.
Don’t like VAR although, the Burn decision was correct.

I just felt we had lots of possession and created little

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Good evening,

Weird one today...

Anyway,

View attachment 114692

Think that’s a fair reflection, and I was in the East Stand near the red card moment and didn’t really see anything in it.

Not sure about the empty seats, that block next to the away end is match ticket sales and guests/comps so not explained by STs on holiday. I think our matchday tickets are expensive and now 3rd season up, perhaps we are seeing a bit of a drop off. Don’t know basically. :shrug:

el punal

We have to accept VAR is here to stay and like all refereeing/officials’ decisions they will even out over the season. So far they have definitely not been in our favour. My beef about VAR is the amount of time it takes to come to a decision. With regards to yesterday’s decision surely the ref and linesman should have made the decision themselves - a sign of ineptitude maybe?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Saint’s first goal was a thing of beauty, came against the run of play imo but worthy of winning any game. Ryan had absolutely no chance. In the game against Watford every goal bound shot went in. Against WHU and Saints we wasted great chances, miss those and you are likely to lose at this level. especially when down to 10 men

I have no complaints about the result but think the fore arm smash into Montoya’s throat was a straight red.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Saint’s first goal was a thing of beauty, came against the run of play imo but worthy of winning any game. Ryan had absolutely no chance. In the game against Watford every goal bound shot went in. Against WHU and Saints we wasted great chances, miss those and you are likely to lose at this level. especially when down to 10 men

I have no complaints about the result but think the fore arm smash into Montoya’s throat was a straight red.

Re their first goal, great finish, but did their player not make a back for Stephens on the touch line? (?VAR)

then Duffy should have thundered into the challenge and put everything into touch.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Re their first goal, great finish, but did their player not make a back for Stephens on the touch line? (?VAR)

then Duffy should have thundered into the challenge and put everything into touch.

Whatever happened before and even if you didn’t like the defending it was struck perfectly. If Ryan was 6ft 7 I doubt he’d have got near it.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Think that’s a fair reflection, and I was in the East Stand near the red card moment and didn’t really see anything in it.

Not sure about the empty seats, that block next to the away end is match ticket sales and guests/comps so not explained by STs on holiday. I think our matchday tickets are expensive and now 3rd season up, perhaps we are seeing a bit of a drop off. Don’t know basically. :shrug:

According to pretendance, still close to a sell out :thumbsup:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Whatever happened before and even if you didn’t like the defending it was struck perfectly. If Ryan was 6ft 7 I doubt he’d have got near it.

Yes as per my post, great finish.
Just think the build up should have been reviewed

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Yes as per my post, great finish.
Just think the build up should have been reviewed

I have accepted already that VAR will work against us more often than for us, we are small fry. I was astounded (no not really for the aforementioned reason) that the fore arm smash on Montoya didn’t go to VAR. Was it that different to Andone at WBA?

The semi final VAR review of the headbutt on AJ by Walker that was dismissed as no sending off, set the scene for me. VAR is for the big boys when it’s not about goals.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I got an email weds or thurs saying 600 tickets or so available, they’d be mostly in E1H I would think.

I checked the ticketing site around 2pm and still a fair few club-owned tickets available meaning the many tickets submitted to the exchange didn't reach sale.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
We have to accept VAR is here to stay and like all refereeing/officials’ decisions they will even out over the season.

Firstly, no we don’t. VAR is only three weeks old in the Prem. If enough people, fans, players and mangers say that it is ruining the game then it should be binned. The only issue then is the TV companies.

Secondly, decisions probably won’t even out over a season as divers will be found out for being divers, cheaters found to be cheating, and marginal off/onside decisions dissected to the enth degree. What will definitely happen is the atmosphere, that is already being eroded in the Prem, will evaporate entirely.

AMF.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Firstly, no we don’t. VAR is only three weeks old in the Prem. If enough people, fans, players and mangers say that it is ruining the game then it should be binned. The only issue then is the TV companies.

Secondly, decisions probably won’t even out over a season as divers will be found out for being divers, cheaters found to be cheating, and marginal off/onside decisions dissected to the enth degree. What will definitely happen is the atmosphere, that is already being eroded in the Prem, will evaporate entirely.

AMF.
They should display on the screens the reason for disallowing a goal/ red card etc
It seems everyone else in the world is aware of the reason for the decision except the people who are paying good money to be at the game,which is so wrong

I agree VAR is going to kill all spontaneous celebrations sadly

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I have accepted already that VAR will work against us more often than for us, we are small fry. I was astounded (no not really for the aforementioned reason) that the fore arm smash on Montoya didn’t go to VAR. Was it that different to Andone at WBA?

The semi final VAR review of the headbutt on AJ by Walker that was dismissed as no sending off, set the scene for me. VAR is for the big boys when it’s not about goals.

As always very fair assessment - can’t argue with any of it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here