Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Duffy today and Duffy vs Citeh

phoenix

May 18, 2009
I appreciate this is not going to be a popular view, but,.....

Dan Burn has been absent for all 3 goals we have conceded . The first two were down his side whilst he was marauding forward and out of position.
The third he failed to pick up redmond at the far post..

Maybe a bit harsh and I am massively impressed with him going forward, but I like my centre backs to be defenders first and foremost
Plus he's been the player at fault for our two VAR goals.

Picking up man of the match in both home games also seems a bit over the top IMO. Trossard was surely the man of the match last week, wasn't he?? and I had Solly/Propper/Stephens a long way ahead of DB today.

Is it just me?

I do agree to a point. But how can you say (although technically correct) he was at fault for var when he crossed the ball for the first Trossard goal vs West Ham. Had he not crossed the ball would have been out of play.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Montoya got caught out up the pitch, but that’s going to happen from time to time seeing as there’s a huge emphasis on him to attack.

Four key moments in a single week, all involved MM:

Hernandez opener last week (0:00)
https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2019/august/17-august/goals-brighton-hove-albion-1-1-west-ham-united
West Ham’s final break (5:52)
https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2019/august/18-august/extended-highlights-brighton-hove-albion-1-1-west-ham-united
Stains (At 0:43 and 1:17)
https://youtu.be/vonzBYKO2Bo

Perhaps he needs better protection?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Im a massive Duffy fan and I definitely do not want to see him dropped thats for sure but I have noticed him miss a few header that last season he would have eaten up, plus that wild swing at the ball that lead to yesterdays goal would have probably been hoofed away.

Hopefully its just taking him time to get used the new system.

Does anyone else think it looks like he has lost weight? ???

I'm a big fan too but it was also clear that Southampton saw Duffy as the man to press hardest when we had the ball. His failure of control led indirectly to the Andone red card (although that was purely Andone's fault, first in mis-controlling it himself then fouling as he tried to rescue the situation).

If we're going to play out of defence, Duffer is either going to have to practise his ball-control or give way to Webster in some games.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Four key moments in a single week, all involved MM:

Hernandez opener last week (0:00)
https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2019/august/17-august/goals-brighton-hove-albion-1-1-west-ham-united
West Ham’s final break (5:52)
https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2019/august/18-august/extended-highlights-brighton-hove-albion-1-1-west-ham-united
Stains (At 0:43 and 1:17)
https://youtu.be/vonzBYKO2Bo

Perhaps he needs better protection?

Hmmm, I think we’ve just got a different opinion on this one. For me, Montoya does feature in as much as he’s a Brighton defender. Burn is the one who is making the mistakes, failed tackles on Lanzini, not stepping up with Dunk and Duffy, allowing Redmond a free hit in the box, not to mention being VAR’s go to offender for disallowing goals for us.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Yeah you're probably right about the West Ham goal thinking about it, but still unconvinced about today's opener.

I appreciate Duffy ballsed up there, but he is a long way out of position covering Burn who was nowhere to be seen.
Stephens was first to try and snuff out the danger and then Duffy.
If our centre back is going to be trying to win corners off their fullback, he's a long way out of position if it doesn't come off

The idea isn't to stay rigid anymore though, is it, probably Duffy aside as he's the least flexible player in our side. The other two CBs are given freedom to go forward with the ball if necessary and the team shape should alter as a result i.e. the wing back drops slightly, the 2 other CBs shift over, or one of the CMs moves back to cover the space.

Unfortunately, all that considered, Duffy's the least likely to do any of these things and consequently he's there to defend first and foremost and make sure that he's shifting the defence around as necessary when other players move forward. He definitely didn't do that effectively against WHU, and I'm with [MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION] in believing that he didn't do his job first and foremost yesterday. I'd say he's comfortably the most in danger player in our defensive positions as a result. But maybe his experience will mean he keeps his place as he adapts. I guess we'll see, particularly as they're all pretty new to a 3 at the back system.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Wasn’t Duffy part of the best centre back pairings in the Premier League last season?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Wasn’t Duffy part of the best centre back pairings in the Premier League last season?

One of the best, yes - as widely commented on by various pundits who don't wear blue and white striped glasses.

But, we're not playing four at the back this season, which has changed what is expected of our central defenders.

Not that you care about that, of course - you just want to have a not-so-subtle dig. By all means carry on. Dougie is currently on the naughty step, and you're very close to going there too. Chipping in to discussions between Albion fans about our team in this way almost certainly causes them to be derailed, and descend into petty and tiresome club v club squabbling, which I'm sure you're aware of. Stop it please.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I’m on record on the Albion Roar recorded after we played three CBs against Chelsea as saying I didn’t think Duffy works in a back three. I still don’t. I’d say he’s more under threat than Burn from Webster.

Brilliant in a two, don’t get me wrong and the best authentic stopper in the division. But not best at Potterball

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I appreciate this is not going to be a popular view, but,.....

Dan Burn has been absent for all 3 goals we have conceded . The first two were down his side whilst he was marauding forward and out of position.
The third he failed to pick up redmond at the far post..

Maybe a bit harsh and I am massively impressed with him going forward, but I like my centre backs to be defenders first and foremost
Plus he's been the player at fault for our two VAR goals.

Picking up man of the match in both home games also seems a bit over the top IMO. Trossard was surely the man of the match last week, wasn't he?? and I had Solly/Propper/Stephens a long way ahead of DB today.

Is it just me?

No, at least not fully.

I think Burn's done pretty well but nowhere near as good as a lot of people on NSC seem to be making out. I like his ability on the ball (even with the odd hospital pass how can you not like a centre half who does Cryuff turns and puts in pinpoint crosses?) but I'm not fully sold on his defensive ability.

That's not to say I think he's a poor defender, (his outrageous sliding tackle on the saints player in the second half was a highlight) just that he's not convinced me yet that he's of the defensive quality of Dunk and Duffy.

I think it's a little harsh to blame him for the first goal. He is presumably marauding forward on license so the team should be able to adapt positionally to that. Stephens had a chance to take out there player before the move really got going and Duffy had the perfect opportunity to stop it but somehow managed to take neither man or ball rather than man and ball like he really should have. As soon as the ball was switched we were in huge trouble and will be all the time we play in this formation and style. If we don't want to be caught on the break like that(something i think we're very susceptible too) we need to be more cynical and ensure that we either win the ball back quickly or impede the opposition. We're going to need a lot more 'taking one for the team' yellow cards this season. If it's good enough for Guardiola...

Duffy's problem is that he isn't that comfortable on the ball or in this formation yet. I think he's only going to get better the more he plays it though, there were signs he was improving against southampton(that heavy touch aside). Unfortunately I'm also not convinced by Montoya. Again he's not a bad player, just IMO, a mediocre defensive one. That in combination with Duffy's unease means our right side is at risk. Short term the answer could be Webster but I wouldn't be surprised if come the end of the season the back three is Webster, Dunk, Duffy(assuming of course that Webster is actually any good).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here