Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Duffy today and Duffy vs Citeh

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sloping about, slow, nearly caught in possession in the first half several times, weak in the tackle for their first goal.....time to reshuffle the back line with him on the bench, or too soon/risky vs Citeh?

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Wow that's a call..............and 1 I probably support. He's the least happy playing the ball in our team, but he was player of the season last year and our second highest scorer. Interesting.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Sloping about, slow, nearly caught in possession in the first half several times, weak in the tackle for their first goal.....time to reshuffle the back line with him on the bench, or too soon/risky vs Citeh?

If Duffy doesn't seem least comfortable at playing out from the back, perhaps Mr Potter might change the line up next week.
He's going to have to cope with the waddly duck, Jesus and the hand of Gods son in law.
I'd like to see Mr Webster thrown in and see what he's about.
Who's saying we cannot pull off a shock win, if the scum can win away twice in Manchester, then why not the Albion!

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

It’s a fair call.
I’d still keep him in as he’s a good old school defender .
His ball playing skills are way behind Burn and dunk though.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I appreciate this is not going to be a popular view, but,.....

Dan Burn has been absent for all 3 goals we have conceded . The first two were down his side whilst he was marauding forward and out of position.
The third he failed to pick up redmond at the far post..

Maybe a bit harsh and I am massively impressed with him going forward, but I like my centre backs to be defenders first and foremost
Plus he's been the player at fault for our two VAR goals.

Picking up man of the match in both home games also seems a bit over the top IMO. Trossard was surely the man of the match last week, wasn't he?? and I had Solly/Propper/Stephens a long way ahead of DB today.

Is it just me?

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Dan Burn has been absent for all 3 goals we have conceded . The first two were down his side whilst he was marauding forward and out of position.

Maybe a bit harsh and I am massively impressed with him going forward, but I like my centre backs to be defenders first and foremost

Picking up man of the match in both home games also seems a bit over the top IMO. Trossard was surely the man of the match last week, wasn't he?? and I had Solly/Propper/Stephens a long way ahead of DB today.

Is it just me?

Funny how we all see things differently. To me:

1. Montoya and possibly Duffy gave West Ham their opener.
2. Ditto for the late West Ham chance that should’ve handed them a 1-2 win.
3. Ditto for Stains opener.
4. Then that man again who loves destroying Montoya, Nathan Redmond, scores.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Yeah you're probably right about the West Ham goal thinking about it, but still unconvinced about today's opener.

I appreciate Duffy ballsed up there, but he is a long way out of position covering Burn who was nowhere to be seen.
Stephens was first to try and snuff out the danger and then Duffy.
If our centre back is going to be trying to win corners off their fullback, he's a long way out of position if it doesn't come off

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

When the Albion gained promotion to the PL, we emerged from under the radar and into the spotlight.
Now within the era of Potter and his squash buckling style of playing out from the back (which is great BTW), I feel that if we do not take our chances, whether easy or hard, the opposition will take this and punish us everytime.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
When the Albion gained promotion to the PL, we emerged from under the radar and into the spotlight.
Now within the era of Potter and his squash buckling style of playing out from the back (which is great BTW), I feel that if we do not take our chances, whether easy or hard, the opposition will take this and punish us everytime.

Totally agree. We can’t use the excuse that unluckily it was the brilliant Lanzini or (former England international) Redmond who took Montoya apart, because the PL is full of quality left sided midfielders, with pace MM can only dream of.

An alternative is counter attacking football (CPFC), letting opponents come on to them in numbers, then mugging them on the counter. Van Aanholt did that to perfection today.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yeah you're probably right about the West Ham goal thinking about it, but still unconvinced about today's opener.

I appreciate Duffy ballsed up there, but he is a long way out of position covering Burn who was nowhere to be seen.
Stephens was first to try and snuff out the danger and then Duffy.
If our centre back is going to be trying to win corners off their fullback, he's a long way out of position if it doesn't come off

I can only assume Burn has been told to bomb on, or he'd have been in the dog house before today. I agree with your comments though - the upshot being he's been missing when breakaway goals have been conceded.

I still think Duffy looks out of place when not part of a back 4, though. He is the one who most underperfomed today for me. However, if we revert to a back 4 with Duffer in it, against Citeh, in a tight 442, a la Houghton but with Big Jurgs and Neal up front, Leo, March, Stephens and Gross in midfield, we might see Big Shane sparkle again, with slightly less risk of multiple haemorrhage when Burn goes awol. That means Montoya keeping his shirt (sorry, Westy!)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012

Is it just me?

It’s you , Burn plays the other side , the goals came down Duffy side and Montoya who really is the weak link in the team

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Too soon, too risky (IMHO).

I'm heading towards the same conclusion....

Nobody has mentioned Webster in a reshuffle yet, though. Unfortunately, my football strategy centre (located somewhere between my amygdala and hippocampus, next to the shrubbery) is too vestigial to process the variables.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I thought Bernardo could play right back... I'd love to see him there tbh.
I can't see Solly losing his place anytime soon and it seems a terrible waste not to have Bernardo playing in this formation

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here