Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Duffy today and Duffy vs Citeh

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It’s you , Burn plays the other side , the goals came down Duffy side and Montoya who really is the weak link in the team

Yep, this week and last. Surprised that other folk at the games can’t see it too.

Perhaps others look solely at the attacking contributions from a wing back in a team performance? I look to see FB’s or WB’s who are primarily great at shutting out the opposition.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I thought Bernardo could play right back... I'd love to see him there tbh.
I can't see Solly losing his place anytime soon and it seems a terrible waste not to have Bernardo playing in this formation

I would prefer to move Solly to the right if we want to make a place in the team for Bernardo; better that than Bernardo on the right I think.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It’s you , Burn plays the other side , the goals came down Duffy side and Montoya who really is the weak link in the team

Agree with that for the West Ham Game, but the move that broke through us for the first game started down Burn's side.
Duffy was pulled over there trying to cover the danger after losing the ball by the corner flag.
When Duffy failed to deal with it the ball got moved over to the other side and we were hopelessly out of shape.

It's a big weakness in our play so far. Burn bombing forward is great to watch, but getting back into shape when it goes wrong isn't working very well.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
He was poor today and looks the least comfortable. We finished 17th last season because we couldn’t play football if the progress is to continue he will need to drop out for a ball playing cb. It’s harsh on one of our better players in recent years but it’s needed if we are to continue to improve

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yeah you're probably right about the West Ham goal thinking about it, but still unconvinced about today's opener.

I appreciate Duffy ballsed up there, but he is a long way out of position covering Burn who was nowhere to be seen.
Stephens was first to try and snuff out the danger and then Duffy.
If our centre back is going to be trying to win corners off their fullback, he's a long way out of position if it doesn't come off

Burn admitted some responsibility for the WH goal

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Can Bernardo play RB?

I have suggested this from the beginning of the season. Montoya looked quite good going forward though, and interceptions. I do not like the three/five at the back without a winger. Individual players are encouraging; the formation is not.

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
I appreciate this is not going to be a popular view, but,.....

Dan Burn has been absent for all 3 goals we have conceded . The first two were down his side whilst he was marauding forward and out of position.
The third he failed to pick up redmond at the far post..

Maybe a bit harsh and I am massively impressed with him going forward, but I like my centre backs to be defenders first and foremost
Plus he's been the player at fault for our two VAR goals.

Picking up man of the match in both home games also seems a bit over the top IMO. Trossard was surely the man of the match last week, wasn't he?? and I had Solly/Propper/Stephens a long way ahead of DB today.

Is it just me?

I love Dan Burn.
His emergence as a genuine EPL player has been the biggest bonus of the early season for me.

However .... I do see partly where you're coming from.
His inability to stay onside at dead balls has cost us 2 goals already this season, but I don't quite agree that he should be blamed if a move involving him bombing forward breaks down and the subsequent counter-attack comes down his flank.
If he is bombing forward then it is incumbent on one of his teammates to cover for him.
It isn't rocket science.

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
Funny how we all see things differently. To me:

1. Montoya and possibly Duffy gave West Ham their opener.
2. Ditto for the late West Ham chance that should’ve handed them a 1-2 win.
3. Ditto for Stains opener.
4. Then that man again who loves destroying Montoya, Nathan Redmond, scores.

:bowdown:
Brilliant piece of work in point number 4, subtly suggesting that Stains 2nd goal today was the fault of Montoya just by deference to the fact they were both on the same pitch at the same time!

Do I detect a tiny bit of an agenda against Montoya by any chance? ???

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Im a massive Duffy fan and I definitely do not want to see him dropped thats for sure but I have noticed him miss a few header that last season he would have eaten up, plus that wild swing at the ball that lead to yesterdays goal would have probably been hoofed away.

Hopefully its just taking him time to get used the new system.

Does anyone else think it looks like he has lost weight? ???

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
With Montoya, so obviously our Achilles Heel, targeted almost every match.

A free hit against the world’s greatest team at the Etihad ... play Webster and another FB.

Montoya MOM for me on Saturday. Totally agree re Duffy. He seems to not be able to adjust to that passing out style like Dunk and Burn. I believe Webster has been brought in for exactly that reason. Although I think v City, Duffy’s block everything attitude means he should start. Against B Rovers on Tuesday and Burnley on the 14h should be Webster’s turn.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
With Dunk and Burn bursting forward I am not against having one player who sits and does the ugly stuff. Still out most likely scoring outlet from set pieces so gets the nod for me. Also not really fair to throw Webster in for his first game at city away

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Sloping about, slow, nearly caught in possession in the first half several times, weak in the tackle for their first goal.....time to reshuffle the back line with him on the bench, or too soon/risky vs Citeh?

Personal view, Duffy has started slowly in all three games.

On Saturday we can not avoid that luxury. So down to Potter to either replace or instill enough confidence in Duffy to start better

I appreciate this is not going to be a popular view, but,.....

Dan Burn has been absent for all 3 goals we have conceded . The first two were down his side whilst he was marauding forward and out of position.
The third he failed to pick up redmond at the far post..

Maybe a bit harsh and I am massively impressed with him going forward, but I like my centre backs to be defenders first and foremost
Plus he's been the player at fault for our two VAR goals.

Picking up man of the match in both home games also seems a bit over the top IMO. Trossard was surely the man of the match last week, wasn't he?? and I had Solly/Propper/Stephens a long way ahead of DB today.

Is it just me?

No - it’s a silly bandwagon, everyone loves a trier fair enough but he was to blame along with Montoya for the Hammers goal

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Some interesting slurs aimed at Montoya on this thread. I’ve seen him called out as our weakest link, last year he was definitely a liability but I’m not having that this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here