Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Did you celebrate Albion's "goal"?

Did you celebrate Albion's "goal"?

• Yes!

Votes: 100 51.5%
  • No, I am generally fearful of VAR.

Votes: 50 25.8%
  • No, I suspected Burn was going to get called up for something.

Votes: 34 17.5%
  • No - other reason (please state)

Votes: 10 5.2%

• Total voters

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
No I didn’t really, mostly because the players didn’t either, not properly. I could tell something wasn’t right but didn’t know what it was.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
I did. But I stopped when I saw Burn looming over their goalkeeper. It was always going to be ruled out.

I was pro-VAR last week and I'm pro-VAR this week but f**k me the implementation needs looking at.

Just tell us what's going on. That's all it needs. And, even if the check is immediate and conclusive, still just let us know. Mic up the referees. Put the video on screen. Anything but this nebulous, anonymous shit we have now.

That won’t have any impact on the fact VAR has removed the immediate elation of scoring a goal - we now need to wait for a goal to be approved or rejected, after which the celebration is no longer spontaneous.

They’re making a human game increasingly robotic and removing all emotion.

I know they don’t care about the fans actually at the game, and that we make up a relatively small percentage of the viewers, but the technology is ruining football as far as I’m concerned.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Turns out you were wrong then as it was disallowed for offside (I believe).

That's a bit like a batsman being given not out for lbw because he got a nick, only to be given out caught behind instead! I thought Burn's reaction was that he thought he had fouled the keeper, and that was the first thing that came into my mind as well. Then offside later.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Briefly, but then turned to look at the screens and wait for the inevitable BS. Feel I'll go straight to the screen in the next game or two.

In a sport with low scores and tight margins, the introduction of a system designed to FURTHER reduce scorelines should have been accompanied by rule changes favouring the attacking side. Anyone can see that!? Surely?!

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Brief celebration, then remembered about var and sat down while celebrations continued around me. Considered going back home and watching a stream as live football now ruined, then realised P&R wouldn't be running for some time.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Yes I bloody did. Getting bored of VAR already. The right decision, but not a fan. Taking far too long to decide v

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I liked one of the callers comments on the radio this evening.

Summariser to caller - "Did you know why Dunk's goal had been ruled out in the ground?"
Caller - "No, it was not made clear so I phoned my son in New York who was watching a stream and was advised it was for offside"

Sums it up for me.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I did like the 'F*CK V.A.R' song by the North Stand when it was disallowed... :salute:

Why? It’s already the most boring song in football as we adjust to life without spontaneous celebrations eg you’re a ducking idiot if you’re still celebrating goals until at least two or three minutes have elsapsed. The new order is the ball hits the net, like a flying rocket, that’s disalllllowed...

Seriously, you wanted micro analysis fairness. You got it. Football ate itself and frankly I’m not missing it. As if the PL wasn’t a big enough disincentive to stop watching football with it’s unparalleled competitiveness, VAR is the icing on the cake to stay away. A game of chess is more entertaining and a better use of Saturday afternoons. Wait until they sell the stadium and cgi us fans in. Far cheaper and maximises the TV money after all. You think I’m joking? You just wait...we’re already mugs in a complete circus. Treated like cattle and milked like a dairy herd each week. I’m loving my non league local team currently, doesn’t cost a small mortgage to get in and it’s unpredictable, each side has a sporting chance. I was seriously happier watching us in the Championship. The PL should be the pinnacle but it’s like appendicitis for clubs like us I.e. painful and just waiting to be removed with a real chance of death if the bubble bursts.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
That won’t have any impact on the fact VAR has removed the immediate elation of scoring a goal - we now need to wait for a goal to be approved or rejected, after which the celebration is no longer spontaneous.

They’re making a human game increasingly robotic and removing all emotion.

I know they don’t care about the fans actually at the game, and that we make up a relatively small percentage of the viewers, but the technology is ruining football as far as I’m concerned.

Yeah that's another issue entirely for me. Once they've sorted the logistics of it I'm sure most of us will come up with a way to reconcile the emotionlessness of it.

As it is though? It might just kill my love for the game.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Yes.

But the come down when VARed out is just too painful for words. So, in future I’ll try to wait until it’s definite. And thus a bit, no - a lot, of the the joy of seeing live football is removed.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No it doesn't, I don't wear a hat.
Are u sure ?

An absolute TOOL was dancing to the VAR tune todsy.

Utter wanker. Perhaps VAR should actually look at strikers being wrestled to the ground ( England x 2 ) before it sticks it's oar in ? ??? ???

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Having just watched it back, it looks like we had a real argument there.

Looked a very soft nudge on the keeper, wouldn't be given anywhere else on the pitch.

And can he be offside, given his actions took place before Dunk even touched the ball? Thereby not involved with play whatsoever.

Edit: And now having just seen the handball shout, we surely had a massive claim there too?! Must be classed as deliberate handball as he's had more than enough time to react for it.

I think we were quite hard done by today.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Having just watched it back, it looks like we had a real argument there.

Looked a very soft nudge on the keeper, wouldn't be given anywhere else on the pitch.

And can he be offside, given his actions took place before Dunk even touched the ball? Thereby not involved with play whatsoever.

Edit: And now having just seen the handball shout, we surely had a massive claim there too?! Must be classed as deliberate handball as he's had more than enough time to react for it.

I think we were quite hard done by today.

Burn was miles offside, clearly interfering with an opponent. All the Saints players appealed; frankly it shouldn’t even have needed VAR just a simple on field decision for officials.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Initially. Then saw the ref stood there making no move to get everyone back to the centre and knew it would be ruled out.

Same for me. More because I realised who the referee was.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Had to celebrate. Just for a moment, this happened.

WhatsApp Image 2019-08-24 at 10.40.15 AM.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here