Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Did you celebrate Albion's "goal"?

Did you celebrate Albion's "goal"?

• Yes!

Votes: 100 51.5%
  • No, I am generally fearful of VAR.

Votes: 50 25.8%
  • No, I suspected Burn was going to get called up for something.

Votes: 34 17.5%
  • No - other reason (please state)

Votes: 10 5.2%

• Total voters

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
Yep.
Leapt out of my seat like I do for every goal.
It's instinctive.
I don't think I'll ever be able to stop myself, and truthfully I'm not sure I believe those who 'claim' they don't celebrate goals anymore ... especially if your team are playing at home and you are surrounded by people who support the same team as you and they are all up on their feet cheering.

I do feel VAR is having a negative effect on the general atmosphere though.
Even though me and everybody around me still immediately leapt to our feet as Dunk's header hit the net, the euphoria was very quickly replaced with abject resignation and that feeling of 'Deja Vu' as soon as you saw the ref stick his finger in his ear.

And because the same thing has happened in two successive games, I fear that abject feeling is going to be replicated every time we score now.

Despite that ... I will still leap to my feet and cheer every goal the very second it first goes in though!

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
A quick YESSSS then quite. To be honest this is what VAR is for, had that stood it would have been a clear and obvious error. Even if Burn's had not been offside he clearly impeded the keeper.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Plus he was caught miles upfield for Southampton's first goal today, and kept Hernandez onside for West Ham's goal last week.

Yes, his general play is excellent, but a few minor errors have been costing us dear. What exactly he thought he was doing at that corner is anybody's guess.

Yet two weeks in a row, the match sponsors have given him MoM. I hope Mr Potter has a word with him to cut out the errors that are costing us.
He was still standing right in front of the keeper at corners in the second half.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yet two weeks in a row, the match sponsors have given him MoM. I hope Mr Potter has a word with him to cut out the errors that are costing us.
He was still standing right in front of the keeper at corners in the second half.

That standing right in front of keepers at corners thing is going to become a real problem that is likely to cost us dearly. The first thing the VAR wallahs will be looking it is to see if the six foot seven Burn is nudging the keeper, which he invariably is. Loving his enthusiasm, but maybe Potter needs to re-think his use of Burn at corners.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
That standing right in front of keepers at corners thing is going to become a real problem that is likely to cost us dearly. The first thing the VAR wallahs will be looking it is to see if the six foot seven Burn is nudging the keeper, which he invariably is. Loving his enthusiasm, but maybe Potter needs to re-think his use of Burn at corners.

You are entitled to position on a football pitch. It’s in the laws of the game. There is no reason for us not to put someone on the keeper at corners providing they read the game well enough to step up with the opposition so that they are not offside.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You are entitled to position on a football pitch. It’s in the laws of the game. There is no reason for us not to put someone on the keeper at corners providing they read the game well enough to step up with the opposition so that they are not offside.

How can you be offside at corners?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I think Jonny's comment about 'step up with the opponents' is meant to imply after the corner is taken - such as yesterday with Dunk's 'goal' being ruled out - Burn failed to step up with the defence to stay onside when Dunk's shot came in after the corner had been taken.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Seriously, you wanted micro analysis fairness. You got it. .

I didn't... personally.

My view is that some decisions go against you through bad luck, then some go for you and you're lucky. That actually mirrors real life, gives you something to talk about and debate, and gets the crowd going.

Now, when the ball hits the back of the net we'll end up muted - all looking around at each other, shrugging our shoulders, saying 'yeah, that was a goal' - 'could have been offside' - 'keeper impeded?' ... then a mini fist-pump when the screen of the gods says 'GOAL ALLOWED' or such like. Some VAR decisions will go for you, some won't - just like when we didn't have it. All we have to thank VAR for is sucking the euphoria out of a goal being scored.

Sorry, but VAR is going to ruin watching live football in my opinion.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Friend was determined not to give us anything no surprises it went to VAR for ages. When Trossard won the ball off a Saints defender in a dangerous area second half Wanker face gives a free kick. I felt like leaving then as it was 100% cheating by Friend notice how pally he was with Redmond. He’s meant to let a quick free kick go yet pulled it back to card a Saints a player an utter C.UNT.

Taylor managed to spot a shirt pull yesterday didn’t do the same when a West Ham player fancied Burns shirt before the final whistle, these PL refs are proper shitehouses on an agenda.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Any reason why it wasn’t shown on the big screen, especially as it was so clear cut?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I didn't... personally.

My view is that some decisions go against you through bad luck, then some go for you and you're lucky. That actually mirrors real life, gives you something to talk about and debate, and gets the crowd going.

Now, when the ball hits the back of the net we'll end up muted - all looking around at each other, shrugging our shoulders, saying 'yeah, that was a goal' - 'could have been offside' - 'keeper impeded?' ... then a mini fist-pump when the screen of the gods says 'GOAL ALLOWED' or such like. Some VAR decisions will go for you, some won't - just like when we didn't have it. All we have to thank VAR for is sucking the euphoria out of a goal being scored.

Sorry, but VAR is going to ruin watching live football in my opinion.

Sorry, meant that in a general sense and yes, 100% agree obviously. Given a 3rd of our ‘goals’ are ruled out several minutes later what is the point of celebrating until after kick off again? By which time of course, you don’t or at best muster an ironic cheer. VAR is such a brilliant invention and so pleased football is now 100% fair without any controversy...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Geoffish

Aug 2, 2014
I jumped up in celebration, then saw the goalie on the floor and remembered VAR, so I just started pointing at the big screen like a gormless idiot. (Not that anything on the screen was helping).
Exactly what football is about right, right?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Yes for a little bit, but think the days of goal celebrations are over, and the new world is now only to celebrate post VAR.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
8686995fb1d9fbfa3efb813e9f41b404.jpg

This is not what VAR was for, the linesman and referee should just disallow this like they would have before this whole farce was introduced. If this is the kind of decision requiring video assistance then refereeing in this country is worse than we ever thought.

Last weeks was a set piece again the on pitch officials should be picking that up

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I think Jonny's comment about 'step up with the opponents' is meant to imply after the corner is taken - such as yesterday with Dunk's 'goal' being ruled out - Burn failed to step up with the defence to stay onside when Dunk's shot came in after the corner had been taken.

That wouldnt have made any difference as he never played the ball and as the ball was played back directly to Dunk he was onside. To answer the question the only time is if Dunk had played the ball back to the kicker or if Burn.had touched it en route to the goal.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
That wouldnt have made any difference as he never played the ball and as the ball was played back directly to Dunk he was onside. To answer the question the only time is if Dunk had played the ball back to the kicker.

What are you talking about? You only need to look at yesterday's game to know what you've said there is wrong. Dunk's goal was ruled out because Dan Burn, a player who didn't take the corner and didn't have the ball played back to him, was in an offside position and interfered with an opponent. It is standard offside law. The ball doesn't have to be played back to you for you to be offside after a corner is taken.

You cannot be offside for the cornerkick itself. No one is saying that you can. Thunderbolt misinterpreted what Jonny said, thinking he was suggesting you could be offside from the corner kick itself, but of course, you can't.

I'm simply clarifying for TB that Jonny was saying it is fine to stay on the goalkeeper when the corner is taken. But, once it is taken, you need to be alert to where the opposition is, because then you are at risk of being offside in all the traditional ways (interfering with play, interfering with an opponent, gaining an advantage by being in that position from a parried save or rebound off the post etc).

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think that this is the problem that var will throw up.

We all want to see errors corrected and to lead to a cleaner game, and certainly in cricket that has been a spectacular success with players allowed to challenge a decision which they believe incorrect as with tennis.

However VAR is different...it appears to be an arbitrary mechanism for officials to “ check “ their decision to allow or disallow a goal so moving the responsibility away from them to 4 faceless people in a booth somewhere in England. It is not instant like we have in cricket, ie the xx seconds allowed, it can be done sometime after the goal when the players are lining up to take the KO. This afternoon the complete and utter shyster ruled that a tackle in the box was fair by the wolves defender, and 5 minutes later, he gave the thumbs up that VAR had said he was right......that is complete bollocks! So what happens if a team score a goal in the last minute and they kick off the ref blows the final whistle and then as they all shake hands and trudge off, VAR calls them back as it is ruled offside. There will be hell on in the stands and on the pitch!

Personally it should be for

Blatant fouls in the area leading to penalties ( check it wasn’t a dive)
Blatant hand balls, not accidental brushing of a fingernail.
Offsides only if there is daylight between the attacker and the last defender.

That should be it.

It should also be as instant as it can be as it is with goal line technology and finally we should be shown the process on the big screen if we have to all stand around getting more irate!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So what happens if a team score a goal in the last minute and they kick off the ref blows the final whistle and then as they all shake hands and trudge off, VAR calls them back as it is ruled offside.

That won't happen. If a goal is scored, kick off has to wait until the VAR check is complete. We know this because we and West Ham were ready to take kick off after Trossard's goal, but the ref wouldn't let us until he had confirmation from the VAR. If a last minute goal is being checked, the ref will know and will wait for the decision before allowing the game to kick off before the final whistle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here