Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mr Friend today ref

Jul 5, 2003
Spot on with the sending off, great advantage on their first goal.....

However, inconsistent throughout, pernickety in the extreme.

Awful as usual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it was great advantage for their first goal why did he punish Murray for not jumping in their penalty area. I thought the Saints player deliberately failed to jump and Stephens went over the top of him and could have been seriously injured. I may be wron as I was some distance away but I'll wait to see what the highlights show.

Although he got most major decisions right he was inconsistent and should have booked their No 23 for a deliberate block. He should then have sent him off for a second booking when he eventually booked him for the first time. He also failed to deal with Ward-Prowse's constant bickering. Sorry, but not my Friend!

P.S. scrap the offside rule. it does nothing but spoil the game and serves no purpose. They scrapped it in Hockey years ago and improved the game immensely.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
How do you feel he managed the game?

Poor weak referee.

He couldnt force their keeper to take a free kick from the correct point and then subsequently a number of others including ours because the players knew they could ignore him. Pretty much every throw in is a foul throw (including ours). Overulled the assistant referee when he was clearly wrong to do so. Stopped play to give a yellow card when he could have saved it till later.

Didnt seem to think jumping into a player trying to head the ball legitimately is a foul.

He was spot on with Andone and I think he knew the goal wouldnt stand after his VAR mates looked at it so it wasnt all bad.

Not the worst referee we will have this year but not the best either.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
Towards the end of the game we put a cross in across the box but a defender deflected it behind the crossbar, Friend gave it as a goal kick.

"You don't know what you're doing" was never sung with such conviction before today. Total knob.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
3 of his last 4 red cards have been against Brighton, i would say he may be biased against us but......

Duffy v Palace
Knockaert v Bournemouth
Andone v Southampton

Cant even use that arguement, maybe he just brings out the stupidity in some of our players :shrug:

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I now expect the ref to favour the opposition every game. It's just happening all the time so we've probably now got a bad name with the refs.

Maybe not a surprise when a player who's been assaulted by Andone and hasn't particularly made a meal of it, is booed by a large section of our fans for the rest of the time he's on the pitch.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Ward-Prowse should have seen red but only got a yellow. That was a poor challenge. Then their LB committed three yellow offences including a dive, walks away with one yellow.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
They do, yeah - it's right in front of me in the West Stand, midway between the halfway line and the North pnalty area.

Again though - has it been used in a single game yet? When would it be used. So far, it seems that VARref just tell on-field ref what to do.

They have a monitor which, thankfully, they have decided to only use on the rarest of occasions, unlike other countries.This is good news as you only end up with the ref spending three minutes to come up with the same decision as VAR.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Thought it was a poor performance from the ref. Missed a penalty area handball, cocked up in not giving us the corner at the end and let a couple of very questionable Saints challenges go that possibly deserved stricter punishment.

He also, I think, ignored one of the new laws by pulling back a quick freekick so that he could issue a yellow card. I thought they’re now supposed to allow us to take it and book the man at the next break in play. There is one slight risk for the team taking the freekick. If the player was going to be sent off, he would then only get a yellow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here