Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mr Friend today ref

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Obviously Andone should have done one after that bloody awful lunge (idiot), but Montoya in full flight being elbowed in the front of the neck/throat and the opposing player gets a yellow? F'kin joke.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Thought the handball was a definite penalty, i thought the new rules were that it's no penalty unless your arms are in an un-natural position? If so, his were out infront of him, that's a penalty imo unless it's because he was unsited by his team mate who missed his header. Does intent still come into it? Because i don't think it was intentional.

The one that really pissed me off though was when Ward-Prowse backed into Duffy, i thought that was a stonewall penalty, he gave it the other way, i assume for climbing.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
But it reappeared today...as both those were from the same game...are u in the shed or have u been allowed back in?

I'm getting very worried about you Lamie.
You seem to think I live in this imaginary world of the shed fairies.
You need to get out more.
Seriously though, spent the whole day up the allotment with bbq in tow, listening to the notifications on my SSapp.
When it showed Andones red card, phone was turned off.
I had that feeling it wasn't worth having it on for the rest of the match.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm getting very worried about you Lamie.
You seem to think I live in this imaginary world of the shed fairies.
You need to get out more.
Seriously though, spent the whole day up the allotment with bbq in tow, listening to the notifications on my SSapp.
When it showed Andones red card, phone was turned off.
I had that feeling it wasn't worth having it on for the rest of the match.

An allotment as well as that magnificent garden oh my

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Ok we are disappointed.....The ref today was ok.....VAR has denied us two illegal goals. We always get the. Ref/Lino was crap brigade when we lose.
But the majority of posters on this seem to agree Ref ok.
Fair enough to have a go at Andone, WTF was he doing. With 11 surely we would have won..In the second half we were the better side with ten.

I`m still bullish about the season ahead. Up the Albion:clap::clap::clap:

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
I’ve no complaints about either VAR decision.

But separate to that, Friend always oozes arrogance, it’s his way or no way, not a shade of doubt, he won’t converse with players. Plus he fell hook, line and sinker for every faux Stains injury in the second half.

A ref who’s easy to detest.

he won’t converse with players..............he had his arm around their keepers' shoulder late on in the game, or had you left by then ?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Poor

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Why didn’t he check the Saints handball in the penalty area. I’ve seen the replay the defender basically caught the ball so it couldn’t be argued that it was his ‘natural silhouette’ so it should have been a penalty.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Why didn’t he check the Saints handball in the penalty area. I’ve seen the replay the defender basically caught the ball so it couldn’t be argued that it was his ‘natural silhouette’ so it should have been a penalty.

But the way VAR is working is that it's not down to the ref to check stuff. Basically, if he hasn't seen something obvious, it's the job of VAR to point it out to him. That's what I find so annoying - if that is the role of VAR, then they should have told Friend 'you've missed a blatant penalty'. Surely?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
But the way VAR is working is that it's not down to the ref to check stuff. Basically, if he hasn't seen something obvious, it's the job of VAR to point it out to him. That's what I find so annoying - if that is the role of VAR, then they should have told Friend 'you've missed a blatant penalty'. Surely?

But, presumably they did review it and told him "no penalty".

It does seem that for stuff that happens in the box, particularly the rough and tumble that resulted in penalties in the World Cup, our VAR implementation is letting them go. Has there been a single instance in two and a half rounds of fixtures, where VAR has resulted in an on-field non-penalty being given as a penalty?

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005

It does seem that for stuff that happens in the box, particularly the rough and tumble that resulted in penalties in the World Cup, our VAR implementation is letting them go. Has there been a single instance in two and a half rounds of fixtures, where VAR has resulted in an on-field non-penalty being given as a penalty?

No. Do they even have a review area? Couldn’t see it by the tunnel.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

I think this is part of the problem. No-one knows if it was reviewed or not, as there was nothing on the screen (or on the commentary) to indicate whether VAR had actually reviewed it - or not see it themselves either.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
No. Do they even have a review area? Couldn’t see it by the tunnel.

They do, yeah - it's right in front of me in the West Stand, midway between the halfway line and the North penalty area.

Again though - has it been used in a single game yet? When would it be used. So far, it seems that VARref just tell on-field ref what to do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here