Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Barber on extra seats

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
There REALLY is no need for many more seats (a few more won't hurt) and I honestly doubt there ever will be. 30000 is more or less perfect for us. There are very very few games when someone who wants one can't get one at the moment. And I don't see that changing even if we become that top 10 team.

Totally disagree. We have moved on. You need to too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Have to disagree with you there.

There were was a ‘lost’ generation due to the war years; the millennials. You can see it when you look at the fans. With most U18 (generation Z) hopefully supporting Albion in Sussex now, I’d expect the waiting list to grow and grow. I think we could happily function with 32k - 34k in the not so far future.

I say 35k minimum if they are serious about sustainable top 10. Are they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
The simple solution should be to just build a new ground at Waterhall or Shoreham harbour.

40k should be our target

Or share with Palace at Gatwick Airport.
No longer have to worry about being within the borders of Brighton & Hove.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Or share with Palace at Gatwick Airport.
No longer have to worry about being within the borders of Brighton & Hove.

Palace would be an absolute nightmare for the airport. That smog of shitness they carry will cause major disruption with planes unable to see the runway whilst airport staff vomit violently at the constant exposure of their smog of shitness. Only Croydon and the surroundings area have the tolerance and durability for their radioactive toxic smog of shitness, not even Gatwick airport could cope with their pollution.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
There's enough seats already for some games (they wouldn't be offering two seats for £45 for the Burnley game if we were in danger of selling out), but for the "top" clubs it would be good if they could get some more in somewhere.

Whether it would be cost-effective I'm not so sure - wouldn't the extra cost of building outweigh the extra number of seats sold unless those attending were guaranteed to be spending a lot more money than just the ticket prices?

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
So if you find yourself seated on the border of 2 such groups, which song do you join in with?

Are you allowed to sing outside of these designated areas?

What happens if you have a sore throat whilst in this region, and are unable to join in? Are you moved along?

Grow up. You said yourself that there are atleast 2 songs going on by more than 1 group at times, I was just suggesting about getting them together and obviously singing the same song. The idea is to have the whole stand singing as one. Not sure why you’re being a dick about it.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Do you think the survey should have only gone to those that want to stand then?

Well maybe. Why ask someone in the West Upper if they think safe standing in the North would be good? I wouldn’t expect a survey about bottle tops in the South Stand lounges, because it doesn’t effect me.

What is the % of current standers at games? Maybe 10%, so it was never going to be a huge number of fans compared to the overall attendance.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
It wasn’t just a survey CV it was also a well publicised invitation to those interested in standing to turn up to a forum to discuss it. Hardly anyone turned up hence the perceived apathy.

Maybe I, like many others, should’ve gone then!

The club know that a few thousand want to stand, they don’t need a little forum and crappy survey to tell them that.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Well maybe. Why ask someone in the West Upper if they think safe standing in the North would be good? I wouldn’t expect a survey about bottle tops in the South Stand lounges, because it doesn’t effect me.

What is the % of current standers at games? Maybe 10%, so it was never going to be a huge number of fans compared to the overall attendance.

Safe standing is not only about those that want to stand, its impacts on others supporters as well. that's why every one was asked.
Otherwise Its like only asking convicted drunk drivers if they feel the alcohol limit should be raised.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
There’s no way the attendance was above 30,000 yesterday. Masses of empty seats everywhere

That's because it is policy to inflate the attendance figures but I have absolutely no idea why or what the club hopes to achieve by artificially inflating the attendance.

I emailed club ages ago explaining the definition of "attendance" and how that differs from "tickets sold" but it doesn't appear to have sunk in. You would think Barber (if not his minions) would have understood.......but apparently not.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Safe standing is not only about those that want to stand, its impacts on others supporters as well. that's why every one was asked.
Otherwise Its like only asking convicted drunk drivers if they feel the alcohol limit should be raised.

It wouldn’t impact fans in the West if it was in the North...which is where the current standers are.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
It wouldn’t impact fans in the West if it was in the North...which is where the current standers are.

How about North Stand fans that might not be able (for whatever reason) to stand for the 90mins but be in/near the possible standing zone (it basically self governs now anyway, so why change)?

Jameson

Not bothered about increasing capacity especially but would love to have two "ends" for home fans; and shift away fans to a corner/side or upper tier, well out of the way. It's a massive advantage to the visiting team to have their fans directly behind the south goal.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Not bothered about increasing capacity especially but would love to have two "ends" for home fans; and shift away fans to a corner/side or upper tier, well out of the way. It's a massive advantage to the visiting team to have their fans directly behind the south goal.

Totally agree, but apparently we must make the 'away' matchday experience special, so they spend more AND come back.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019

100%, no way should they be behind that goal.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The simple solution should be to just build a new ground at Waterhall or Shoreham harbour.

40k should be our target

I said exactly that on another thread. A 75,000* capacity stadium at Waterhall (no point in half measures), complete with train station and huge underground car park. If for any reason that isn't possible then the only sensible and practical solution to expand the Amex is to have extra tiers above the existing stands. "Stadium structure won't support it" I hear you say, but this is the clever part: the stands will be suspended above the existing ground by helicopters. This also gets round the transport issue as the heli-stands will fly round Sussex picking up ticket holders, then when they're full, they fly to the ground and stay in position until the match is over. Then the process is reversed. There is of course an obvious flaw in this plan: the Seagulls Travel people may object to the loss of potential revenue. But they'll still have their regular customers so I'm sure they'll come round.

*People may say that this is too big especially if we get relegated, but it will be designed so that the top tiers can fold down, a bit like the roof at the Millennium Stadium.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Thousands on the waiting list and something like only 3 PL games not selling out suggests otherwise.

I'm not a business man by any stretch but surely it benefits the club to keep things exactly as they are?

Let's say, hypothetically, they were able to and decide to increase capacity to 40k to make all 8k on the waiting list happy and leave another ~1k for good measure. Great. But then the demand has gone. And if we were to go down attendances would naturally drop.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here