Date: Saturday 24th August 2019
Kick-off: 15:00 BST
Referee: Kevin Friend
Assistants: Matthew Wilkes, Andy Garratt
Fourth official: Oli Langford
VAR: Lee Mason
Assistant VAR: Mark Scholes

TEAM NEWS

Brighton head coach Graham Potter has no new injury problems to contend with ahead of the visit of Southampton.

Winger Jose Izquierdo, defender Ezequiel Schelotto and midfielder Yves Bissouma all remain sidelined.

New Southampton signing Kevin Danso could make his debut, having been an unused substitute against Liverpool.

Back-up goalkeeper Alex McCarthy has recovered from the minor injury that saw Fraser Forster replace him on the bench last weekend.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Simon Brotherton: Graham Potter's positive start at Brighton has seen them take four points from the first two games against Watford and West Ham, while Southampton have yet to get off the mark.

Saints' disappointing opening-day defeat at Burnley was followed last weekend by a much improved showing against Liverpool. They had the better of much of the first half but didn't take their chances and missed a great late opportunity to snatch a draw.

Southampton won 1-0 on their last visit to the Amex in March, while the game at St Mary's ended in a 2-2 draw.

This one is likely to be close, but both will see it as a very winnable fixture.

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

Graham Potter: "I think the match this weekend will be our toughest one so far. I've been really impressed with Southampton and the way they try to play football.

"We have to approach it with humility and try to do our best. If you look at their performance against Liverpool, I thought they were unlucky not to take anything from that game."

Southampton manager Ralph Hasenhuttl: "We know how difficult it is to play at Brighton - last time we had a very tight game and won 1-0.

"This year it will not be easy, but we go there with a clear target to be a really aggressive opponent."

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• [*=left]Brighton are yet to beat Southampton in the Premier League (D3, L1).
    [*=left]The Seagulls have won only one of their last 10 matches with Southampton in all competitions (D5, L4), winning 3-0 at the Amex Stadium in the Championship in January 2012.
    [*=left]Southampton won at Brighton twice last season, winning 1-0 in both the league and the EFL Cup.

Albion

• [*=left]Brighton's win against Watford on the opening day is their only victory in their last 11 league games (D4, L6).
    [*=left]But they are unbeaten in their first two matches of a Premier League season for the first time.
    [*=left]The Seagulls haven't won any of their last six league games at the Amex Stadium (D3, L3).
    [*=left]They haven't scored more than once in any of their last 13 home league games - and they failed to score in five of those.
    [*=left]Glenn Murray has scored in three of his four Premier League appearances for Brighton against Southampton, with two of those goals coming from the penalty spot.
    [*=left]Brighton head coach Graham Potter's only Premier League experience as a player was eight appearances for Southampton in 1996-97.

Southampton

• [*=left]Southampton have lost both their league games so far this season, scoring just one goal and are winless in their last seven (D3, L4).
    [*=left]They haven't begun a Premier League campaign with three defeats since 2012-13.
    [*=left]Ralph Hasenhuttl's side have kept only one clean sheet in their last 12 Premier League matches - but that came in a 1-0 win at Brighton in March.
    [*=left]Saints have won only 16 of their 78 Premier League matches over the past two seasons. Eight of those wins have come in 25 matches under Ralph Hasenhuttl.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Cricket on TV and footy on computer, it will be like watching tennis..............................not monkey tennis though.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Wife’s birthday today, done the decent thing and put her in a spa for the day, pick up after 5

Looking forward to this one, hopefully get at them from the oooorf.

2-0 Albion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So excited

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We are the go-to team for teams wanting to end a losing streak, so I'm not too confident about today. At the same time, I'd be disappointed if we only draw!

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Wife’s birthday today, done the decent thing and put her in a spa for the day, pick up after 5

Looking forward to this one, hopefully get at them from the oooorf.

2-0 Albion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like the style. How to keep the Mrs happy AND get to the game. Class. :ascarf:. :bowdown:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I was at the Amex last week and still think the scoreline does not reflect what I feel was one of our most dominant home performances of 2019.

Won’t be going today, will we win? I don’t know, but if Potter keeps us playing the way we are, with that style, and with the abundant number of chances created we are going to absolutely thump someone sooner or later.

Hopefully today! UTA

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here