Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football clubs and the real living wage

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Pretty sure we had a thread on this recently but there's been a new piece about it released:

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/...wages-manchester-united-cleaners-living-wage/

It's pretty bad but, as I understand it, isn't the issue that clubs do / can / should pay the living wage but are under no obligation to ensure third-party workers are? Is that an over-simplified view of it?
I am not sure how that could be implemented if as they are not their staff and its up to that company how much they pay their workers. How far do you take it? Would you say any company the club pays for services also must have a living wage? It wouldnt be a bad thing I am just struggling to see how a football club could force other companies to do this. Surely that would be something the council/mayor (looks at Khan) government should enforce all companies to do.

This Living Wage Foundation charges for accreditation and doesnt publish what that charge is. They also seem to be banging on every jounalists door recently to force all the other clubs to pay for accreditation through shaming (so far only 4 clubs have). What they dont tell you in any of these articles is that all Premier League clubs have agreed to pay a living wage to their employees.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Pretty sure we had a thread on this recently but there's been a new piece about it released:

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/...wages-manchester-united-cleaners-living-wage/

It's pretty bad but, as I understand it, isn't the issue that clubs do / can / should pay the living wage but are under no obligation to ensure third-party workers are? Is that an over-simplified view of it?

I don't think so....surely if they are a third party worker then they are not paid by the club at all?

Where I guess it could get messy is if say the club employ Dave's security to do the stewarding and Dave's security aren't paying the living wage. If the club insist Dave pays his staff the living wage and Dave says ok well I'm going to stick £20k on your bill and the club say well hang on maybe its not a requirement after all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here