Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Are male marriage proposals sexist??

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Whether it was sexist or not was the least of my wife’s issues when I proposed.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Utter tools then aren’t they? How about in a gay male marriage? Does that make them hypocrites?

Meghan De Maria, attention seeking ****.

Maybe if women stopped seeing the traditional wedding day as being all about them, and stopped seeing the groom and his party as being mere accessories to the main event, they might have an argument.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Ha ha. Stopped reading at "causing a big stir on social media"!

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I am outraged.

I assume that's why the article was written... to get the journalist up in the rankings and some kudos for causing a mild stir?

Next up, outrage as male holds door open for female. RAC lambasted for not sending a female employee to a female who has broken down at the roadside. Outrage as Bull denied the right to produce milk, even though it can't - but it should have the right to produce milk... A bit like Stan and his foetus in a box.

I'm beyond giving a shit now. I just laugh at stuff like this.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
We agreed mutually.

And when I say that, I mean we actually had a huge argument after 8 hours in the car and I said "well we might as well get bloody married then".

Perfect.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What's wrong with being sexy?

wouldn't it help?

seems a odd issue to make anything of, women are free to propose so onus is on them to make a change. expecting men to not propose... well, not really the intended consequence here. or we could dispense with the silly, expensive theatre marriage.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I am outraged.

I assume that's why the article was written... to get the journalist up in the rankings and some kudos for causing a mild stir?

Next up, outrage as male holds door open for female. RAC lambasted for not sending a female employee to a female who has broken down at the roadside. Outrage as Bull denied the right to produce milk, even though it can't - but it should have the right to produce milk... A bit like Stan and his foetus in a box.

I'm beyond giving a shit now. I just laugh at stuff like this.

A couple of months ago I was on a random date when I opened the door of a restaurant for her before we were led to a table.
After the meal she reached across and held my hands, looked into my eyes and said “ Tonight has been lovely, but if you ever open a door for me again we’re finished”.
As we left the restaurant, I quickly opened the door for her, as she stared at me in disbelief I said “ You don’t get to decide that!”.
Ok, it was childish on my part but it gave me soooo much satisfaction ��

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
A couple of months ago I was on a random date when I opened the door of a restaurant for her before we were led to a table.
After the meal she reached across and held my hands, looked into my eyes and said “ Tonight has been lovely, but if you ever open a door for me again we’re finished”.
As we left the restaurant, I quickly opened the door for her, as she stared at me in disbelief I said “ You don’t get to decide that!”.
Ok, it was childish on my part but it gave me soooo much satisfaction ��

I don't get some people, if you and I, or any other bloke, were approaching a door I'd probably hold it open for you ..... not because your weak, I'm superior or inferior just because that's what my parents taught me.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I don't get some people, if you and I, or any other bloke, were approaching a door I'd probably hold it open for you ..... not because your weak, I'm superior or inferior just because that's what my parents taught me.

Precisely. The only people i won't hold doors open for are estate agents.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Seems to be causing a big stir on social media right now, particularly amongst millennials many of whom believe the concept of the male marriage proposal to a woman to be sexist and deeply insulting to women.

https://theweek.com/articles/442013/latent-sexism-male-marriage-proposal

Well I’ve looked all over social media and can’t find anything about this, not even on Megan de Maria’s own twitter feed. Where are you getting your knickers all bunched up over?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Ok, it was childish on my part but it gave me soooo much satisfaction
I guess that was the end of that?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Weird one.

I don't think it's manly or sexist or whatever but equally I'd be a bit put out if I was proposed to rather than being down on bended knee myself.

Here's the real reason men still do the proposing. If the man rejects the proposal it seems to be much, much more humiliating for the woman to be rejected. They actually would take less chances.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Here's the real reason men still do the proposing. If the man rejects the proposal it seems to be much, much more humiliating for the woman to be rejected. They actually would take less chances.

I can see that, though it wasn't my intended point.

I just don't think the women should be doing the proposing. It's the man's job.

And I'm a leftie, feminist, snowflake, remoaner, liberal millenial.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Yes, but for ****s sake its a nice tradition leave it alone. Also when you look at the rest of the animal world human males don't have it so bad, at least after mating we dont drop dead or get devoured by our love interest.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
My personal favourite is the Fart Rape. And no, I've not made this up.

“By farting louder the man is using passive aggressive violence to position himself as dominant. This intimidates the woman to subconsciously not release as much flatulence and thus the woman, fearing for her safety, doesn’t fart as loud as a sign of submissiveness. This in turn contributes to rape culture and women being oppressed.”

- Ashleigh Ingle, CUPE Leader & Teacher

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom

“By farting louder the man is using passive aggressive violence to position himself as dominant. This intimidates the woman to subconsciously not release as much flatulence and thus the woman, fearing for her safety, doesn’t fart as loud as a sign of submissiveness. This in turn contributes to rape culture and women being oppressed.”

Ashleigh has clearly never met my missus...

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

What a load of hot air (please don't excuse the pun)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here