Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Watford to season ticket holders: Tell us if you're not turning up - or face a ban

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
"If its any of your business:

1. I was away on holiday
2. I had to work
3. I was ill
4. My mum died.

- so what now ?"

I usually miss one every two seasons with illness. 5% empty seats would seem about par in winter cold season. I could missed many more x 5 when connecting trains did not arrive, but we clubbed together to get a taxi. Or very bad weather if cycling when the trains are not running. 800 seats is 2.6% empty.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The Ts&Cs refer to what happens at ST renewal time. Watford are quite within their rights to decide that they don't want to sell a ST to anyone at all for any reason they choose.

Fan: I'd like to renew my season ticket for next year please.
Watford FC: No, we don't want to sell you one.

There's nothing the fan could do.

A bit like the cake shop that refused to make a cake for a gay marriage? I believe the legal action surrounding that story is still ongoing. I realise that there are specific laws that surround that case but in essence the ‘we don’t want to sell to you’ could, possibly, be challenged in a court of law. I would not dare to offer an opinion as to whether that route would be successful or not, but until it happens none of us really know what our rights as a football consumer are.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Forgot you were moving up. Is it any closer to happening? Saw a guy in a full Palace kit the other day. After vomiting in my mouth a little asked him his story and he said he'd kept his for two years before giving it up.
It's certainly handy for the away tickets at the moment but they're pretty tricky for me with childcare anyway.

We’re in the process of getting the house ready to go on the market. A plus point for us moving up is that Mrs DFP’s parents only live 1 hour from Leeds, so if I’m heading out for the day or for the weekend they’ll come and stay or she’ll take nipper to theirs. We’ll actually get more help with the boy by moving up as her parents are both retired and both still drive, they’re actually looking after the little guy at the moment for 4 or 5 days whilst we’re down here sorting the house.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
We’re in the process of getting the house ready to go on the market. A plus point for us moving up is that Mrs DFP’s parents only live 1 hour from Leeds, so if I’m heading out for the day or for the weekend they’ll come and stay or she’ll take nipper to theirs. We’ll actually get more help with the boy by moving up as her parents are both retired and both still drive, they’re actually looking after the little guy at the moment for 4 or 5 days whilst we’re down here sorting the house.

Sounds great - don't fancy taking ours do they (and second on the way)?!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I can see where Watford are coming from, and I wish more STH would use the ticket exchange. On the one hand we have threads on here talking about the vast potential of our catchment area, and then you go to games and there are hundreds of empty seats. Quite apart from the positive effects of a full stadium, fans or potential fans are being denied the use of a seat that they could buy.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
If I can't make it, then I pass my ticket on to a mate. Not for resale, I just say get us a pint sometime. But a bum is therefore still on my seat on matchday. Its just the "done thing" in our circle - its very rare a ticket goes begging. It might give PB an aneurysm, but in the real world, thats just how folks do this.

Which will be fine at Watford too. It's those who don't give it to anyone resulting in an empty seat that they're looking to solve.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Which will be fine at Watford too. It's those who don't give it to anyone resulting in an empty seat that they're looking to solve.

Looking to piss off more like.

Just another aspect of modern football that alienates fans. The day I have to start justifying to BHA why I haven't turned up is the day I turn my back on it.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I’m not so sure. The part of the bit in bold in brackets in post 5, ‘or simply don’t attend’ leaves some wriggle room to refuse to sell ST to people who miss matches regardless of whether or not they inform the club.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Not sure I want to put my tickets on the ticket exchange when myself and family can't make a match.
I keep hearing about away fans in home seats, I don't want the decent Albion fans that have got season tickets near us having to put up with away fans near them.
I would only put the tickets on the exchange if I knew they were going to Albion fans.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I can see where Watford are coming from, and I wish more STH would use the ticket exchange. On the one hand we have threads on here talking about the vast potential of our catchment area, and then you go to games and there are hundreds of empty seats. Quite apart from the positive effects of a full stadium, fans or potential fans are being denied the use of a seat that they could buy.

Plenty would have tried to sell via the exchange for the Southampton game, but the club didn't sell their own tickets so it wasn't activated.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I gave my season ticket up in 2006. Previous season I managed 4 games, I felt guilty (and at the time £100 a game wasn't good value!) . Use it or lose it.

Simple.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
If someone has paid for their ticket then it is up to them if they go or not or list it on an exchange. This type of over policing by football clubs is just another reason why so many people can’t be bothered anymore. They have got their money if someone does not turn up aside from a few pints and pies (which is NOTHING in comparison to the money they make elsewhere) the club have got their money.

Honestly what next a letter from your doctor or parent to ensure the reason you have given for non attendance is valid

Totally agree with your comment on STs. We have paid the club so it's up to us whether or not we show up.

And whilst you josh about doctors.....................

I registered with my nearest GP when I moved to Worthing over 20 years ago. Had a couple of visits in first year but was then fortunate enough not to have to go back for well over 10 years. I then got an infection in my foot that I knew needed antbiotics so went to the "open surgery" afternoon. Went to the reception desk and gave my details and they insisted I wasn't registered with them. You know - the typical snobby, nosey old bags you get in every doctor's surgery.

I insisted that I was registered and eventually they found me...in the archives! Old bag then gives me what for because I hadn't been to the surgery for so long. I should have been up for a medal not on the receiving end of a kicking.

And we wonder why the NHS is in such a mess.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Totally agree with your comment on STs. We have paid the club so it's up to us whether or not we show up.

And whilst you josh about doctors.....................

I registered with my nearest GP when I moved to Worthing over 20 years ago. Had a couple of visits in first year but was then fortunate enough not to have to go back for well over 10 years. I then got an infection in my foot that I knew needed antbiotics so went to the "open surgery" afternoon. Went to the reception desk and gave my details and they insisted I wasn't registered with them. You know - the typical snobby, nosey old bags you get in every doctor's surgery.

I insisted that I was registered and eventually they found me...in the archives! Old bag then gives me what for because I hadn't been to the surgery for so long. I should have been up for a medal not on the receiving end of a kicking.

And we wonder why the NHS is in such a mess.

I would book your next one it will probably take that long to get seen!!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Vicarage Road is a 21,500 capacity, with a big demand for tickets you can see why fans who cannot get tickets would be incensed by spare seats on the telly. The club rightly trying to ensure seats aren't left - this is surely good for the fans?

We on the other hand don't go to the ticket exchange that often, casual fans can get tickets. Still plenty available for Burnley. The club not under quite so much pressure to ensure every seat is filled. If we did have a mad demand every game, then pretty sure we'd be doing a similar thing.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If someone has paid for their ticket then it is up to them if they go or not or list it on an exchange. This type of over policing by football clubs is just another reason why so many people can’t be bothered anymore. They have got their money if someone does not turn up aside from a few pints and pies (which is NOTHING in comparison to the money they make elsewhere) the club have got their money.

Honestly what next a letter from your doctor or parent to ensure the reason you have given for non attendance is valid

This is basically you going back to the club to tell them you are a 'customer' and you'll do what you like with your seat. However, I thought we were fans not customers? If we are customers than you are right.

If however we're all fans, passionately supporting our club, then we understand that our seat is a precious thing that other fans might want use of in the event we cannot attend. That is how fans should collectively feel. If we can't go, surely we want another fan to go in our place?

It seems some like to deride the club when treated like customers, then in return want to be treated like a customer when it suits them.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Just checked the back of my ST and, on the back, it says:

"This card is the property of Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club"

Which I would take to mean: the card is lent to me after I've paid the sum of money the club have deemed to be adequate. Without the card I cannot access the seat ergo I do not own my seat nor the card required to park my bottom on it.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
This is basically you going back to the club to tell them you are a 'customer' and you'll do what you like with your seat. However, I thought we were fans not customers? If we are customers than you are right.

If however we're all fans, passionately supporting our club, then we understand that our seat is a precious thing that other fans might want use of in the event we cannot attend. That is how fans should collectively feel. If we can't go, surely we want another fan to go in our place?

It seems some like to deride the club when treated like customers, then in return want to be treated like a customer when it suits them.

Nothing to do with being fans or customers just being treated like adults. If I have the foresight to know I will miss a game I will put my ticket on the exchange if however something comes up unplanned then the last thing on my mind will be contacting the club to faff about with a ticket I have already paid for in case they decide I am not loyal enough.

Football clubs need to get out of their own arses the vast majority of fans attend as many games as they can and some they don’t for a myriad of reasons many of which make notifying the club a pretty low priority.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Just checked the back of my ST and, on the back, it says:

"This card is the property of Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club"

Which I would take to mean: the card is lent to me after I've paid the sum of money the club have deemed to be adequate. Without the card I cannot access the seat ergo I do not own my seat nor the card required to park my bottom on it.

Unless you paid for a seat licence.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Man United have been doing this for years

That's because they've got 'season ticket holders' who are over 100 years old. They even started going through the local papers bereavement notices because season tickets were getting passed down the family, instead of grandchildren going on the waiting list.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here