Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Watford to season ticket holders: Tell us if you're not turning up - or face a ban

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I’ve got some sympathy, I know some of our STHs who go to 3-4 games a season, how is that fair on those on the waiting list?
It also means we have empty seats or random fans, some of which are clearly oppo. I think swapping out up to about 6-7 times a season should be the max. After that you don’t ‘need’ a ST.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I’ve got some sympathy, I know some of our STHs who go to 3-4 games a season, how is that fair on those on the waiting list?
It also means we have empty seats or random fans, some of which are clearly oppo. I think swapping out up to about 6-7 times a season should be the max. After that you don’t ‘need’ a ST.

There's a big difference between barely using a ticket, as you describe, and not turning up to a few matches.

(Kids have to attend a minimum number of matches at the Amex. Don't know if that rule is in place for adults?)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Digging around quickly, it seems missing two or more games could get you into trouble...

We want to work together with you to give the team the best possible backing in pursuit of victory at every Hornets' home game.

The process set out below requires just one simple action of you; we'll do the rest at our end to try and ensure every seat is filled for every game here at Vicarage Road.

Virtually all matches are 'sold out' here, however - just like at a large number of other grounds - spaces appear on matchdays when those holding a season ticket or match ticket don't turn up.

Matches like the Palace FA Cup tie earlier this year show what a tangible difference to the chances of winning a full stadium in fine voice can have.

So tell us if you can't attend and we'll either re-sell the seat(s), with profits going to our Community Trust to support their work, or we will allocate the seat(s) to local good causes.

It couldn't be easier. Simply click on the ‘contact us’ link below, input your name, fan ID, seat details and the game you’re not attending as prompted in the email pop-up and click send!

Once you have sent the email no further action is required and you will receive a reply from the Ticket Office team (acknowledgement unlikely on matchdays due to time constraints).

We’d ask that you notify us of your non-attendance to a fixture, as soon as you can, so we have enough time to ensure your seat is filled.

A couple of years ago we wrote into the Season Ticket Ts & Cs an option for us to reserve the right not to offer renewal opportunities to ST holders with high non-attendance rates.

Come renewal time next Spring, we will be initiating conversations with those ST holders who fail to notify us of their non-attendance (or simply don't attend) for two or more home fixtures.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There's a big difference between barely using a ticket, as you describe, and not turning up to a few matches.

(Kids have to attend a minimum number of matches at the Amex. Don't know if that rule is in place for adults?)

It's in the T&C

3.7 The Club reserves the right to cancel season ticket holders, in the event the season ticket is used for less than 25% of the home league matches, this will be assessed after ten home league matches have been played.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I must admit, when the Albion launched the current ST exchange, I was slightly surprised that there was nothing about a limit as to how many times a ST holder could use it, and I did wonder if the club would do anything about someone who, say, only used their seat for the "glamour" games and otherwise put it into the exchange and/or didn't turn up.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's in the T&C

3.7 The Club reserves the right to cancel season ticket holders, in the event the season ticket is used for less than 25% of the home league matches, this will be assessed after ten home league matches have been played.

Our posts crossed.

I wonder how putting a ticket into the exchange is seen. Is that "using" the ticket?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Our posts crossed.

I wonder how putting a ticket into the exchange is seen. Is that "using" the ticket?

I was thinking the same as I posted it.....................I guess Mr Barber is happy with the exchange option as he's getting full value for a seat normally occupied at a ST discounted rate

Overall it's tricky though - I completely get the concern about seats being left repeatedly empty but what Watford seem to be implementing is way too harsh on the face of it - they'll get into all sorts of issues re people with long term illnesses, work commitments etc.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I must admit, when the Albion launched the current ST exchange, I was slightly surprised that there was nothing about a limit as to how many times a ST holder could use it, and I did wonder if the club would do anything about someone who, say, only used their seat for the "glamour" games and otherwise put it into the exchange and/or didn't turn up.

I can't remember where I saw it (possibly a post on Nsc) that the club would question it, if a sth missed more than 4 games. I missed 4 games last season due to ill health.
I did put my ticket on the ticket exchange when it was running, but Boxing Day, for example, it didn't sell out, so therefore I couldn't list it.

Surely this disadvantages the elderly, those who have health problems, or those who travel/ work away/or shift workers?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I was thinking the same as I posted it.....................I guess Mr Barber is happy with the exchange option as he's getting full value for a seat normally occupied at a ST discounted rate

But often seats put into the exchange do not sell. The sell side of the exchange may not even become active. It might not happen for tomorrow's game.

Last week, for example, over 800 seats became available around 9pm on Friday evening when the sell side of the exchange was made active. I didn't look close to kick-off, but I'm guessing a fair proportion of those didn't sell. Were those tickets "used" given the ST holders tried to do the right thing?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
But often seats put into the exchange do not sell. The sell side of the exchange may not even become active. It might not happen for tomorrow's game.

Last week, for example, over 800 seats became available around 9pm on Friday evening when the sell side of the exchange was made active.

I didn't look close to kick-off, but I'm guessing a fair proportion of those didn't sell. Were those tickets "used" given the ST holders tried to do the right thing?

Yep exactly.....so did the exchange open too late (there were only mostly single seats available for a couple of days beforehand, when the exchange kicks in there are a lot more pairs/groups available)? Is the intention to sell it on the exchange when you can't go deemed good enough commitment to be allowed to keep your ST ? :shrug:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's in the T&C

Turning up for just the 'Big Six' matches still weighs in at over 30%. The Clever Trevers will be aware of that stat. Easiest thing in the world to run an algorithm that shows percentage attendance for each seat, leaving out The Big Six games.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Our posts crossed.

It's seen as a profit making exercise for the club who make a percentage on the ticket when it resells. On that basis, if it's generating extra revenue I doubt they'll care too much? :shrug:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Our posts crossed.

No it isn't. The club left a message on my answerphone, March-time I think, asking why I hadn't used my ticket as much as previously (fairly obvious really). I did call them straight back on the number provided to discuss but of course there was a massive queue so never got through to them.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
These things are not always a negative. Some dialogue with the club around season ticket holders, going off to UNI, might be helpful. Season Ticket prices for small children are not that expensive that a school night football ban will break the bank.

We all know that there are people who share a season ticket. It allows them to sit with mates, pick and choose games and not pay the cost of single tickets. My eldest gave up his season ticket to go to Uni, rapidly realised what he was missing and went back on the waiting list. This season he has been fortunate enough to get his old seat back. Son number 2 has kept his season ticket, which is currently underutilised as he is working Saturdays, before going off to Uni. The hassle of surrendering it and re-applying, versus the risk he may decide to start a career the other side of the world. All of that is my problem, but you can't simply pass on an Under 21 ticket anyway. Technically this is far worse than being caught using someone else's season ticket, as you are also defrauding the club and of course the barrier will beep to denote a concession ticket. The right and proper thing to do, (max 6 times a season), is to go into the club shop (there is no other option) and pay for a ticket upgrade. This is not cheap and is major hassle.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Because Watford put/add this into the T&Cs does NOT mean it is legally enforceable. No doubt plenty of people will fall for it, but a contract between two parties, one of which is Joe Public, has to be seen as ‘reasonable’ by a court of law. Yes you would need the balls to go to court, but having paid for something it is entirely your choice if you use it or not.

PS Paul Barber will be rubbing his hands in glee at the thought of this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here