Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Garbled dress code "clarification"

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
With words being such an issue, I think the way forward is pictures.

I'm sure [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] would volunteer to wear various ensembles that the club could then use to illustrate what is, and isn't, acceptable.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Glad I can't afford 1901, give me a sausage and red onion roll and jump around when we score in what clothes I want to wear any day, if I wanted to dress up I'd go to Goodwood

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Glad I can't afford 1901, give me a sausage and red onion roll and jump around when we score in what clothes I want to wear any day, if I wanted to dress up I'd go to Goodwood
That is the point - you don't. Other than wearing shoes - I wear the stuff I would wear going to the shops - cheap jeans and a polo shirt. Makes a nonsense of them being so prissy about it. Just say no colours or ripped/dirty clothes. This nonsense about collars/neck types is just daft. And despite what you believe, you can have a hot dog and jump around when we score - I have done for 8 years (Not so often on the hotdog as they are normally frigid they have been sat there so long).

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Just send a photo in advance of the clothing to be worn to 1901 HQ to get a free permit.

:shrug:

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
.......Probably just a "me" thing but poor communication like this from a big company really grinds my gears. Especially on a subject that should be very easy to clarify in one line.
No, it's a "me" thing as well. I'm often exasperated at the inability to communicate or design something in a perfectly simple, logical, unambiguous or practical way.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Waiting for the bus to Mill Road after the game you see plenty of the 1901 goers leaving dressed up like a dogs dinner for a football match, whatever floats your boat...

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Just had this email which is, quite frankly, abysmally unclear.

Men must wear a collared shirt or polo shirt. Football shirts, polo-neck and turtleneck sweaters are not acceptable. Only guests aged under 14 may wear Brighton & Hove Albion replica shirts. Away team colours or shirts are not permitted in any circumstances.

Ouch. Gender specific dress code. In the 21st century. In Brighton and Hove.

Barber needs to be careful. Discrimination laws are not something the club wants to fall foul of.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
With words being such an issue, I think the way forward is pictures.

I'm sure [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] would volunteer to wear various ensembles that the club could then use to illustrate what is, and isn't, acceptable.

As long as no one takes the piss. When I last wore my fedora in 1901 some joker asked me if it was a Quentin Crisp fancy dress theme. Rolls eyes.

I’ll be going casual tomorrow, jeans, Doctor Mårten shoes and a loose animal print (and collared) shirt from All Saints accessorised with a leather tote.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Being serious now. We dined last season and we couldn’t quite fully understand the female dress code. Therefore Frau Tubthumper wrote to the club for clarity....and received an even more confusing and, compared to the website, a contradictory reply. The exchange ended with Frau T describing what she planned to wear and the club saying “I confirm”. No one gave a shit on the day but it was a pain before hand.

To be clear she just wanted to wear something “relaxed” as we were heading into town post ma5ch but we couldn’t quite find the line they were attempting to draw.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just WOW ! ffs it's a football match , who are these clowns that keep coming up with this shyte .

If there is one thing all Albion supports should know.... “Its more than 90 minutes”

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
IMG_0221.JPG
Aren’t polo neck and turtleneck sweaters the same thing ?

How can such an iconic look not be acceptable! Turtles head!

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Aren’t polo neck and turtleneck sweaters the same thing ?

I'd always thought this is a polo neck:

966248227_01.jpg

With the button up bit and the collar that folds down on itself.

and this is a turtleneck:

91Feoq%2BfuHL._UY445_.jpg

Round and high up the neck.

But in doing a google image search, it appears both are considered polo necks - that Turtleneck is the US/Canadian term, and Polo Neck (or roll neck) is the UK term (and skivvy in Australia according to wikipedia). You learn something every day.

Just had this email which is, quite frankly, abysmally unclear.

Ahead of this weekend's Premier League match against Southampton, we wanted to remind all supporters about our dress code in 1901 Club lounge and hospitality areas.

The dress code for the hospitality areas is smart business attire for all guests, male and female. Acceptable attire includes smart jeans and shoes. Hospitality guests dining in a restaurant or executive box will still be required to wear shoes; trainers will not be permitted in dining areas.

Please note ripped jeans, shorts, trainers, canvas shoes and flip flops are not permitted.

Men must wear a collared shirt or polo shirt. Football shirts, polo-neck and turtleneck sweaters are not acceptable. Only guests aged under 14 may wear Brighton & Hove Albion replica shirts. Away team colours or shirts are not permitted in any circumstances.

Please ensure your guests are aware of and adhere to the dress code as entry will not be permitted if they are not dressed accordingly.

Unfortunately, we will be unable to reseat hospitality guests in general admission areas of the stadium if admission is refused.

So can I wear trainers in the lounge or not? Can I wear a polo neck or not?

Is the lounge part of the hospitality area? Because it appears the answer is no regarding trainers.

My reading of the polo/turtle neck is that you can wear a polo neck shirt, but you can't wear a polo neck sweater.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I'd always thought this is a polo neck:

966248227_01.jpg

With the button up bit and the collar that folds down on itself.

and this is a turtleneck:

91Feoq%2BfuHL._UY445_.jpg

Round and high up the neck.

But in doing a google image search, it appears both are considered polo necks - that Turtleneck is the US/Canadian term, and Polo Neck (or roll neck) is the UK term (and skivvy in Australia according to wikipedia). You learn something every day.

Is the lounge part of the hospitality area? Because it appears the answer is no regarding trainers.

My reading of the polo/turtle neck is that you can wear a polo neck shirt, but you can't wear a polo neck sweater.

No its a polo shirt, polo neck is similar to turtle neck but not as high. The rules are moronic in any case.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
No its a polo shirt, polo neck is similar to turtle neck but not as high. The rules are moronic in any case.

Yeah, I thought the name polo shirt came from the fact it had a polo neck. They should teach these things at school.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here