Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Favourite top 3 UK breweries ?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Dark Star ( despite changes)
Burning sky
gun

All good barrelled beer in Shoreham regularly

Jaipur is superb, I actually prefer it from a bottle.

Beaver town, tiny rebel etc are all nice but either fizzy or tinned, so don't count

Honourable mentions go to Hopback summer lightning, the daddy of pale ales for me, Smiles exhibition ( Brizzle) for an altered state day/night at Glastonbury many many years ago, and little creatures, the Aussies can make beer.

We must have very similar tastes in beer point of order though Tiny Rebel do a fine selection of cask beer. They won champion beer of Britain only a couple of years back with Cwitch (or whatever its called).

finbar

Jul 15, 2003
Hove
top3 is impossible.

One noticable absentee so far is Buxton Brewery, who i dont think Ive ever had anything bad from.

Everything else seems to be covered without going craft beer w@nk3r obscure

I'd support a Magic Rock / Siren / Cloudwater / Buxton/ Thornbridge quintet, with local support from Brighton Bier, Unbarred and Dark Star 2015 version

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
top3 is impossible.

One noticable absentee so far is Buxton Brewery, who i dont think Ive ever had anything bad from.

Everything else seems to be covered without going craft beer w@nk3r obscure

I'd support a Magic Rock / Siren / Cloudwater / Buxton/ Thornbridge quintet, with local support from Brighton Bier, Unbarred and Dark Star 2015 version

I have a buxton oatmeal hoppy pale ale ready for the pre-match tomorrow.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Magic Rock (Salty Kiss)
Buxton (their Spa is probably my favourite beer in the world, if a little difficult to get hold of)
Gun (small batch IPA ooooosh)

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Magic Rock (mainly for last night's Dark Arts Surreal Stout)
Downlands (for pretty much everything)
Burning Sky (for the non-saison varieties, I'm no saison man)
Oh and Siren of course. Can I have 4? Their Breakfast stout is to die for darling.

What a w@nker.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
They were sold as such under the overarching umbrella of Fullers where it was promised they would all retain there indipendance Gales them moved to London where HSB was poorly produced, Dark Star production has largely moved away from Sussex and it's quality has been affected since then Fullers has been sold to Asahi uk under the Asahi Japanese parent company these beers indipendace is set to be diluted further still, good old English cash exchanged at very favourable rates from good old Japanese Yen

Is it going to be diluted?

Why has the quality been affected since Asahi bought Fullers what’s changed?

For clarity the UK arm of Asahi bought Fullers from profits made directly in the UK and so no it didn’t come from the Yen but UK profits of a UK Ltd company.

Last edited:

Spacegull

Sehr Kosmiche.
Feb 22, 2009
High Weald
Gun.
Old Dairy.
Magic Rock.
Special mentions to Harveys/Long Man/Westerham/Pig & Porter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Hall & Woodhouse
Marston's
Greene King

Just Kidding, so many great breweries now. Locally I've been impressed by Burning Sky, Downlands and still love Harveys and Dark Star

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Is it going to be diluted?

Why has the quality been affected since Asahi bought Fullers what’s changed?

For clarity the UK arm of Asahi bought Fullers from profits made directly in the UK and so no it didn’t come from the Yen but UK profits of a UK Ltd company.

No idea if quantity has fallen under Asahi it’s early days but quality certainly fell under Fullers I am aware Asahi is a well respected brewery but these previously independent Breweries are no longer independent

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
No idea if quantity has fallen under Asahi it’s early days but quality certainly fell under Fullers I am aware Asahi is a well respected brewery but these previously independent Breweries are no longer independent

Hophead is terrible now. I had a pint at the Fullers pub in Chiswick a few months back and it was completely different. Also that chilled, keg, unfiltered London Pride is just wrong too.

Top 3 is so hard, can’t really support Magic Rock since they sold out.

BrewDog
Siren
Pollys Brew

Probably

Wylam, Deya, Cloudwater, Verdanf also right up there

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I haven't heard of most of these! If NSC had been around in the 1970s a lot of the responses would have been along the lines of:

Brickwoods
Charringtons
Watneys

I suppose I'll say Harveys and, er, two others. The people that make Punk IPA and Kronenbourg I guess. Or Timothy Taylor's Landlord instead of Kronie on reflection. Are any of those three British?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Based on the fact they are the only 3 UK breweries' beers that I have in my house at this moment (but not for much longer):

Beavertown
Brick
Hammerton

However, tomorrow and Sunday I will be at a beer festival where
Northern Monk,
Buxton, and
Wild Beer Co.
...will all be present among others, so ask me again on Monday and that'll be my answer.

Last edited:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I haven't heard of most of these! If NSC had been around in the 1970s a lot of the responses would have been along the lines of:

Brickwoods
Charringtons
Watneys

I suppose I'll say Harveys and, er, two others. The people that make Punk IPA and Kronenbourg I guess. Or Timothy Taylor's Landlord instead of Kronie on reflection. Are any of those three British?

I was around in the '70s (at the end of, in beer-drinking terms), and the answers then would have been Harveys, King & Barnes and Fremlins. :thumbsup:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I was around in the '70s (at the end of, in beer-drinking terms), and the answers then would have been Harveys, King & Barnes and Fremlins. :thumbsup:

King & Barnes
Youngs
Gales
For me in the 70’s

I think Flowers was quite popular as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here