Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England vs Australia Third Ashes Test - Leeds 22nd-26th August 2019

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
And, you get to hear the shipping forecast every hour. You just can’t beat that.

No, not every hour ! Mind you Jim Maxwell is a HUGE fan of the Shipping forecast, he always gives it a top introduction.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
When Alec Stewart keeps talking 'red ball' I can't help but think there is a sponsorship opportunity here.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Highlights on Channel 5 at 1900.

Just seen the BBC Player showing Stokes splat the ball through point for 4 to win the match...… awesome !

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
For 39 years, you have a far better memory than me. Your explanation however is uncanny to what Willis just said on Sky.

I've got Sky on but I remember it well.

I'd just left juniors and was watching cricket for the first proper time.

The following afternoon I saw Willis 8-43. I remember the drops as Australia neared to target.

After that I was hooked on the game.

Had cricket not been on terrestrial television I may not be following it now.

I worry that some of what has happened is passing a potential new generation by. As is Test cricket.

Botham's innings at Old Trafford was more memorable for Mike Whitney's drop as much as the hitting. A great innings but not among my top ones.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Just seen the BBC Player showing Stokes splat the ball through point for 4 to win the match...… awesome !

Awesome was Leach getting a single to give him the opportunity. After that, despite the whole tension and emotion, you just knew it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I saw both innings. Botham came in with us 95 behind and three wickets remaining to avoid an innings defeat.

Botham didn't think about putting England in a winning position. He just threw the bat.

Stokes believed he could guide England to victory and took the whole thing on his shoulders.

I think Botham himself has pretty much admitted that, nothing to lose, things could not have been much worse, so, he threw the bat and it came off. Stokes batted for 5 and a half hours and faced 219 balls and that is the measure of the man, yes, he was lucky and rode his luck at times but in this day and age an England Batsman batting for that long is almost unheard of....

It was mentioned earlier in this match that Jason Roy's longest innings is just over 3 hours yet he is an opening bat ?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I've got Sky on but I remember it well.

I'd just left juniors and was watching cricket for the first proper time.

The following afternoon I saw Willis 8-43. I remember the drops as Australia neared to target.

After that I was hooked on the game.

Had cricket not been on terrestrial television I may not be following it now.

I worry that some of what has happened is passing a potential new generation by. As is Test cricket.

Around the same age as me probably. I remember when we were on short weeks at school in the 70s, I'd make up my own cricket score book and watch from start to finish every day on the Beeb. Boring I know but I loved sport, I loved cricket in the summer and footie in the winter. Cricket was shown from the same end, so bowler on or batsman on, basically one camera, Jim Laker and Richie Benaud doing the honours, and the intro music, like F1, iconic. Did my first test in 1976, WIndies absolutely spanked us, I was 11 and on my own at the Oval! It was a hot day, '76 drought, I ran out of money before it started and had no liquid for the whole day! I was a bit thirsty. I feel like I should be saying 'jumpers for goalposts' at this conjecture :lol:

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Please don't give Stokes the captaincy. I think it might have the Botham effect (Although Botham was a bit unfortunate with two Windies series).

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Around the same age as me probably. I remember when we were on short weeks at school in the 70s, I'd make up my own cricket score book and watch from start to finish every day on the Beeb. Boring I know but I loved sport, I loved cricket in the summer and footie in the winter. Cricket was shown from the same end, so bowler on or batsman on, basically one camera, Jim Laker and Richie Benaud doing the honours, and the intro music, like F1, iconic. Did my first test in 1976, WIndies absolutely spanked us, I was 11 and on my own at the Oval! It was a hot day, '76 drought, I ran out of money before it started and had no liquid for the whole day! I was a bit thirsty. I feel like I should be saying 'jumpers for goalposts' at this conjecture :lol:

Too young to remember the 76 series but I have seen footage of the match. The most barren outfield I have ever seen in this country.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Too young to remember the 76 series but I have seen footage of the match. The most barren outfield I have ever seen in this country.

It was a great game and series, the WIndies supporters turning up with their oil drums and having a party. They absolutely battered us with a barrage of short fast on stump bowling, all unplayable. They never bothered with spinners and that went on for years. But then they had batters like Greenidge and Fredericks plus Lloyd and a bit later on Richards and Haynes. Greatest side I ever saw.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I got into watching cricket (on the box) in 1977. My family had no interest in cricket at that stage. I came back from a school trip and tuned in (just three TV channels in those days), and came across brilliant coverage of an England v Aussies test at Old Trafford. Brilliantly presented by Jim Laker, Peter West, Richie Benaud and variously Trueman et seq. Immediately drawn to heroes Lever, Knott, Randall, Greig and Underwood.

Then ‘hooked’.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I got into watching cricket (on the box) in 1977. My family had no interest in cricket at that stage. I came back from a school trip and tuned in (just three TV channels in those days), and came across brilliant coverage of an England v Aussies test at Old Trafford. Brilliantly presented by Jim Laker, Peter West, Richie Benaud and variously Trueman et seq. Immediately drawn to heroes Lever, Knott, Randall, Greig and Underwood.

Then ‘hooked’.

Lever the left arm fast, Knott the Kent wk legend, Randall, the showman (loved him), Greig the SA captain of Sussex and England, Underwood, another Kent legend but was never sure he actually spun it. I think I actually got into cricket before I watched it, but it was half a century ago so not sure.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I must admit I gave up a few times today. Was quite hopeful at lunch time with only 4 down. Then Bairstow, Butler run out, and Woakes tame dismissal. Archer cameo didn't last long. Broad yorked waiting for the bouncer. I went out to the shop when 9 down expecting it to be all over when I came back. Still 70 odd to chase, I decided suck it up and wait and view the Australian inevitable victory and retention of the Ashes. Incredible shots by Stokes, and Leach comfortably defending his 1 or 2 balls an over.

Surely they cant do this? A thick outside edge, third man cant quite reach for the catch. Lyon just needs to control the ball for the run out! he doesn't. Finally it looks like LBW but the umpire doesn't want to spoil this incredible turn around. Australia have rightly ran out of reviews and sandpaper wont help them now.

There's been many amazing test matches, this one maybe tops them all.

Last edited:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I must admit I gave up a few times today. Was quite hopeful at lunch time with only 4 down. Then Bairstow, Butler run out, and Woakes tame dismissal. Archer cameo didn't last long. Broad yorked waiting for the bouncer. I went out to the shop when 9 down,expecting it to be all over when I came back. Still 70 odd to chase, I decided suck it up and wait and view the Australian inevitable victory and retention of the Ashes. Incredible shots by Stokes, and Leach comfortably defending his 1 or 2 balls an over.

Surely they cant do this? A thick outside edge, third man cant quite reach for the catch. Lyon just needs to control the ball for the run out! he doesn't. Finally it looks like LBW but the umpire doesn't want to spoil this incredible turn around. Australia have rightly ran out of reviews and sandpaper wont help them now.

There[s been many amazing test matches, this one maybe tops them all.

I definitely said at 7 down, we're going to lose this.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What changes should we make for the 4th test. I think drop Roy put Denly to open and bring in Sam Curran. The problem comes if Anderson is fit as imagine having Archer from one end and Jimmy from the other.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Lever the left arm fast, Knott the Kent wk legend, Randall, the showman (loved him), Greig the SA captain of Sussex and England, Underwood, another Kent legend but was never sure he actually spun it. I think I actually got into cricket before I watched it, but it was half a century ago so not sure.

I loved Derek Randall, a fidgety warrior for England, charismatic. An incredible fielder in the covers, before that became fashionable.

The same with Alan Knott, a crazy batting stance, hiding talent and dogged determination. Plus one of the great wicketkeepers.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I loved Derek Randall, a fidgety warrior for England, charismatic. An incredible fielder in the covers, before that became fashionable.

The same with Alan Knott, a crazy batting stance, hiding talent and dogged determination. Plus one of the great wicketkeepers.

Randall and a very young David Gower I believe played together in the covers for England, fantastic fielders for the time. Barclay, the Sussex lad was also brilliant in the covers. I also wanted to field in the covers to be 'David Gower'.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Randall and a very young David Gower I believe played together in the covers for England, fantastic fielders for the time. Barclay, the Sussex lad was also brilliant in the covers. I also wanted to field in the covers to be 'David Gower'.

I remember Gower fielding in the covers. You instinctively looked for the Aussie/ Windies power stroke to hit the boundary rope, then a micro second later spotting that Randall or Gower had caught or stopped the ball.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here