Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England vs Australia Third Ashes Test - Leeds 22nd-26th August 2019

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I've had some lovely times with 198 LW over the years.

Me too - but I fear its days are numbered. I still think LW produces a better tone than digital, but I've only got one device left now which does LW - and it must be 30 years old and is on its last legs.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Money. The cricket authorities sold out.

Annoying that the BBC have now fixed it so you can't listen to it in the car unless you've got digital radio, which many, many cars do not have (or unless you've got a very old one, with Long Wave).

This, my car is only 5 years old but I can't get Radio 4 Longwave in my car, nor any digital stations. Up my allotment I keep an old transistor radio that is a good 40 years old that picks up Radio 4 Longwave, thank God !

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Eh? It's mostly been on radio five no?

5Live Sports Extra Notters, updates from Eleanor Oldroyd on 5Live but ball by ball on Sports Extra Digital .

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Managed to watch it on my phone, all to the end. Unbelievable, incredible, what can anyone say after that? Not seen anything like the Stokes innings since the Botham Ashes. Quite emotionally drained just watching, can imagine how Stokesy feels. F'kin get in there!!!

Edit: can imagine how Stokesy feels was supposed to be can't imagine... think I've been swept away by a great sporting moment.

Lets hope he has just a couple of drinks back at the hotel and stays in ?

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Oh sorry, I forgot that the BBC had no idea how, when and where different devices received their signal. They have been trying to downgrade TMS for years, getting it off their more beloved flagship stations. They could put it on radio 5 - but they've got important afternoon chat shows and film reviews on there. They could put it on radio 3 (where it original started) - but no - sacrifice an elitist channel for a more populist audience? Gosh, no, shades of Lord Reith, they couldn't do that...............................

And what part of "And 15 years ago a lot of people were still driving round with car radios that offered LW and MW" pass you by?

It has been on LW since 1994 and more recently Digital with the reduction in LW consumption. They are giving options and I would think that the majority of new cars receive digital. Did you have the same issues when analog TV signal was switched off?

Where do you want them to put it? 5 live is not the place to put something that is possibly 7 hours a day for 5 days running, it's not in the mandate of the station especially when it could be finished in 3/4 days then they have a real scheduling nightmare

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It has been on LW since 1994 and more recently Digital with the reduction in LW consumption. They are giving options and I would think that the majority of new cars receive digital. Did you have the same issues when analog TV signal was switched off?

Where do you want them to put it? 5 live is not the place to put something that is possibly 7 hours a day for 5 days running, it's not in the mandate of the station especially when it could be finished in 3/4 days then they have a real scheduling nightmare

I upgraded the radio on my last car to a DAB primarily so I could listen to TMS.......it also meant I didn’t get the MW interference/poor reception any longer either so football on 5 and TS was much better. Well worth the money.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I upgraded the radio on my last car to a DAB primarily so I could listen to TMS.......it also meant I didn’t get the MW interference/poor reception any longer either so football on 5 and TS was much better. Well worth the money.
Unless you live in Hailsham. Signal drops out 7 times between home and work - once per mile.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
We tend to get the dramatic wins over the Aussies don't we? Wasn't there a test back in the 70s/80s when they needed 4 to win with one wicket left, Geoff Thompson I think, Beefy came on to bowl and rattled him out.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Talk of comparing Stokes innings to Botham's in 1981. No comparison. Botham had a free reign with little consequence. Stokes had so much more to consider.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
We tend to get the dramatic wins over the Aussies don't we? Wasn't there a test back in the 70s/80s when they needed 4 to win with one wicket left, Geoff Thompson I think, Beefy came on to bowl and rattled him out.

Melbourne 1982.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Unless you live in Hailsham. Signal drops out 7 times between home and work - once per mile.

Only got a couple around here....on the A23 around Pyecombe, and a bit of the A27 near Lewes. Otherwise pretty good (I’ve got one at home as well that works well). I guess they’ll continue to improve the coverage

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
You're watching Bob Willis and Alec Stewart :wink:

I saw both innings. Botham came in with us 95 behind and three wickets remaining to avoid an innings defeat.

Botham didn't think about putting England in a winning position. He just threw the bat.

Stokes believed he could guide England to victory and took the whole thing on his shoulders.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Has that not pretty much always been the case? TMS on R4LW and for the last 15 years or so 5Live Sports extra?

Absolutely. Also anyone with a mobile phone could listen to it. I think you are posting against Ben’s Grandad in disguise.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I saw both innings. Botham came in with us 95 behind and three wickets remaining to avoid the follow on. Botham didn't think about putting England in a winning position. He just threw the bat.

Stokes believed he could guide England to victory and took the whole thing on his shoulders.

For 39 years, you have a far better memory than me. Your explanation however is uncanny to what Willis just said on Sky.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here