Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England vs Australia Third Ashes Test - Leeds 22nd-26th August 2019

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I am but people getting carried away. If we win The Ashes it will be eternally remembered as Stokes turning it around if not it will be remembered that we won 1 test but lost the series.and all the downside and poor performances attached to that, Stokes efforts will be forgotten.. When mentioned there will always be the 'but we lost the series'.
Not going to forget that innings in a hurry along with a fair number of others sunshine

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
095645FD-8A8F-4CE0-8859-8FA9BCB3C16B.png

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Got an email from my Aussie friend despairing at some of the press coverage from her home country. As she, rightly, says "Who can decry an innings like that?"

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There's another decent test match bubbling away in Colombo. It looked odds-on a draw after nearly two days were lost to rain but NZ now have 43 overs to take the last three SL wickets.

Could be a second unlikely test victory in successive days

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Pretty much the opposite to the SMH.

The Australians are not whinging. The discussion is centring around the poor use of reviews. In general, the coverage within the Australian press is very balanced. This goes for most sports.

Most Australian supporters are the same. Naturally they very despondent at the moment, and who wouldn't regret that umpiring decision ? Gaffney had a bad game.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
There's another decent test match bubbling away in Colombo. It looked odds-on a draw after nearly two days were lost to rain but NZ now have 43 overs to take the last three SL wickets.

Could be a second unlikely test victory in successive days

Not with Sri Lanka's tail....

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

The Australians are not whinging. The discussion is centring around the poor use of reviews. In general, the coverage within the Australian press is very balanced. This goes for most sports.

Most Australian supporters are the same. Naturally they very despondent at the moment, and who wouldn't regret that umpiring decision ? Gaffney had a bad game.

Never really used to talk about umpires in cricket, whether they had a bad game or not. With technology comes a degree of scrutiny. Perhaps they always made bad decisions and we just lived with their judgement. But I do believe they are now reliant on said technology to make their decisions for them, as are referees, which was glaringly obvious for the disallowed Dunk goal yesterday, which didn't need VAR.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Umpire Joel Wilson has had a shocking series all round, like refereeing I’m sure umpiring is a tough job but he’s been truly terrible, had quite a few absolute howlers.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer

Its certainly a catchy by line that doesn't reflect most of me and my fellow Australians..hate it when people simply resort to "whining" and "cheating" comments...it denigrates what can only be one of the best test match finishes I've ever watched. And I'v watched a few since I was indoctrinated at my grandfathers knee when I was about 8...Stokes was awesome, our bowling couldn't get near him, and the use of our review and Lyons drop were not the cause of the loss, but merely contributing to a loss we should have killed off earlier in the day, and showed guttingly the result was correct. Snatched defeat from the jaws of victory! I hope Stokes still has a smile on his face now.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
... which was glaringly obvious for the disallowed Dunk goal yesterday, which didn't need VAR.

Anyway I have a truly terrible headache for celebrating Ben Stokes and Dunks goal was Saturday, but today feels like Sunday!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Never really used to talk about umpires in cricket, whether they had a bad game or not. With technology comes a degree of scrutiny. Perhaps they always made bad decisions and we just lived with their judgement. But I do believe they are now reliant on said technology to make their decisions for them, as are referees, which was glaringly obvious for the disallowed Dunk goal yesterday, which didn't need VAR.

Dickie Bird is regarded with huge amount of affection but I wonder what his reputation would be like if he'd umpired with video replays and ball-tracker. He was notorious for not giving LBWs so I'd imagine that a lot of his decisions would have been overturned.

Umpires have become very complacent. Asking for a video of Buttler's run-out yesterday was a case in point. I could see from my TV screen that he was clearly out - it wasn't even close. Why did that have to be confirmed?

Football will be the same in a few years, refs won't make decisions as they know the camera will do it for them, but the games will be longer and longer

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Dickie Bird is regarded with huge amount of affection but I wonder what his reputation would be like if he'd umpired with video replays and ball-tracker. He was notorious for not giving LBWs so I'd imagine that a lot of his decisions would have been overturned.

Umpires have become very complacent. Asking for a video of Buttler's run-out yesterday was a case in point. I could see from my TV screen that he was clearly out - it wasn't even close. Why did that have to be confirmed?

Football will be the same in a few years, refs won't make decisions as they know the camera will do it for them, but the games will be longer and longer

Football is already reliant, as I pointed out on Dunks goal.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer

Do you think they are getting complacent or is it a case of, doesn't matter if I get it wrong anymore. I kind of feel for them...We were surmising that you could nearly play cricket without on field umpires these days..All the umpire has become is a sunglass and hat stand!

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

You make a fair point.

Whilst I think some umpires are poor, I know what a tough job it is. An LBW not given that is hitting leg stump is not a bad decision. It's a cautious one.

That's why the review system is good.

I do wonder how accurate DRS is ?

And you would have been the best umpire ? I'd love to see it ran against old Test matches but I don't think that's possible.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Do you think they are getting complacent or is it a case of, doesn't matter if I get it wrong anymore. I kind of feel for them...We were surmising that you could nearly play cricket without on field umpires these days..All the umpire has become is a sunglass and hat stand!

Probably not far from the truth, umpires do seem a bit redundant. Much like tennis umpires, other than calling a score they don't really have much to do.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007

Because there is so much riding on each decision, if you were in their position you just would not risk the sack and the ire of all sports fans by making a one in a thousand howler. Better to get it double double and treble checked.
Umpiring and Refereeing standards will fall quickly

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Because there is so much riding on each decision, if you were in their position you just would not risk the sack and the ire of all sports fans by making a one in a thousand howler. Better to get it double double and treble checked.
Umpiring and Refereeing standards will fall quickly

The LBW decision when we were about two runs from victory was a bit of a howler.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here