Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England vs Australia Third Ashes Test - Leeds 22nd-26th August 2019

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Which won't happen, but if we get to 300 or so then it shows some intent, unlike the first innings.

Assuming Anderson is fit for the 4th Test then Roy has to go as an opener, seeing as Denly opens for Kent then have him & Burns 1 & 2 , take Bairstow's gloves off him and make him 3, Root back to 4, Stokes 5, Roy drops down to 6, Foakes (wk) 7, Archer 8, Broad 9, Leach 10, Anderson 11.

If Anderson not fit then Curran comes in at 8 ahead of Archer.

Sorry BG, no place for Banger!

Even if Jimmy is fit could we not drop Roy and bring in Curran who can bat and bowl so best of both worlds.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
FFS this thread is about the Third Test and the destination of the Ashes. Enjoy it while you can.

It will be a day 4 wicket tomorrow.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
With hardly any action on the surface on day 1, so more like a day 3.5 pitch tmrw. There weren’t even full overs bowled on day 2 either.

Exactly it is getting better in the sun and not a worn wicket. The new ball at 11.45 will be interesting.

larus

Exactly it is getting better in the sun and not a worn wicket. The new ball at 11.45 will be interesting.

I thought Stokes was impressive tonight. Not because he scored lots (of course he didn't), he just knew it was psychologically important to get the stumps with no more wickets down. He looked solid.

The Aussies, although still favourites with this England bating line-up, will be a bit more nervous now than when they started bowling. A decent first hour tomorrow will make things interesting. However, it could easily be all over by 12:30 - couple of quick wickets then the usual.

Root doesn't have a good record of resuming a decent innings the following day either (I don't think anyway). So he will need to stick there for a chunk more time too.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Root is the absolute key, as long as he stays there you give us some hope as similar to smith he could inspire others around him to stick around. Stokes looked solid and is a technically very good batsman, but I fear for him against Lyon. Don’t have much faith in Bairstow or Buttler to be honest.

We’re LOOSE

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Not many teams chase 359 in a fourth innings chase. A side who scored 67 in the 1st innings and hunt down that total will have youtube videos next to the 1981 ashes series.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not many teams chase 359 in a fourth innings chase. A side who scored 67 in the 1st innings and hunt down that total will have youtube videos next to the 1981 ashes series.
Not many teams have two and a half days to chase down 359. But yes, it will still be a monumental effort if we pull it off.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If these two can put on 50-75, the Aussies will start to get nervous. Then it is simply about keeping wickets. Would be an incredible win.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I'm generally not one for odds on betting but 1.43 on the Aussies on botfair looks like buying money to me. There's certainly no way I'd be touching England at 3.3 on a day 5 pitch needing another 200.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
The new ball is where it is at. Two wickets and it's gone. Blunt the new ball and we have a real chance to win.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I'm generally not one for odds on betting but 1.43 on the Aussies on botfair looks like buying money to me. There's certainly no way I'd be touching England at 3.3 on a day 5 pitch needing another 200.

It is day FOUR... and on day one it was damp and lively.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
FFS we are 156-3 with a new ball to survive against arguably the best pace bowling attack in world cricket.

It is not going to happen although no doubt someone like Woakes will get a plucky 50 down the order...

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
8 overs till the new ball. Yes, sometimes it can work in reverse and runs come quickly. But it is unlikely. Still, it's always hope on our side until then.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
24 mackerel in 30 minutes. Breakfast sorted.

oops wrong thread but slightly linked as unless i go in the sea before play before 11 we have a bad day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here