Oct 19, 2003
Wikipedia is quite amusing at the moment
71eb213a49c1e994d7c67bfefa11239a.jpg

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Absolutely gutted I missed 99% of the days play. Fortunately a few random lads turned up at the table behind me at Brighton Music Hall bar on the seafront and one had Sky Go on his phone, so at least I managed to see the last few overs.

Absolutely outstanding cricket from Stokes, and must not underestimate Leach's contribution. Possibly the most important single he will ever hit for England.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Seeing once again the winning boundary by Stokes on the news today, I couldn't believe how loud that roar from the Headingly crowd was. Immense, like a football crowd, I'm not sure if it would've been quite the same at Lords!

Loved it, goose-bumps. I watched live Botham's 1981 Headingly innings and then Willis's incredible bowling stint ... the crowd's roar as he steamed in was equally incredible.

Don't you just love England in sporting moments such as these.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Dickie Bird is regarded with huge amount of affection but I wonder what his reputation would be like if he'd umpired with video replays and ball-tracker. He was notorious for not giving LBWs so I'd imagine that a lot of his decisions would have been overturned.

Umpires have become very complacent. Asking for a video of Buttler's run-out yesterday was a case in point. I could see from my TV screen that he was clearly out - it wasn't even close. Why did that have to be confirmed?

Football will be the same in a few years, refs won't make decisions as they know the camera will do it for them, but the games will be longer and longer

When I stopped playing and turned my hand to umpiring for a couple of seasons, I hardly ever gave lbw’s unless the batsman was playing back and missed a straight one. Having played for many years, and have seen the ball miss the stumps by millimetres when everyone thought that the ball would knock all three out, led me to believe that the chances of getting a front foot LBW is minuscule.

At the end of the day Hawkeye is an guesstimation of where the ball would go..simple as that.

The only real one I have any faith on is snickometer which I think is brilliant.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I am but people getting carried away. If we win The Ashes it will be eternally remembered as Stokes turning it around if not it will be remembered that we won 1 test but lost the series.and all the downside and poor performances attached to that, Stokes efforts will be forgotten.. When mentioned there will always be the 'but we lost the series'.

I don’t think of it like that to be honest @BG. Whatever happens, it’ll go down as one of the all time great innings - in any format, anywhere. It’s England’s highest ever chase, by some distance, and it was massively down to one individual who played the knock of a lifetime (or in his case, his best for about 6 weeks). There were so many facets to it that make it all the more remarkable....Ashes situation, match situation, the way he went from outright defence to all out attack, the way he protected Leach, the way he stayed clear-thinking when he could easily have got caught in the moment (like Archer for example).....and that’s without the quality of his hitting which was just stunning. Carried away ? Best innings I’ve seen in my 45 years of avid watching, no question. It won’t be forgotten.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
.....and as for the stokes LBW, in the umpires decision and to a lot of people, that ball looked like it was going on down the leg...ok Hawkeye guesses it would have turned and straightened up, but the umpire made the decision that it’s wouldnt have done.

We are in a world where technology is overruling human interaction and the end result of that is there is no umpires or referees, just masses of cameras analysing play and making decisions based on probablility rather than human judgement.

If that is what people want then fine...personally I would do away with all technology and go back to the umpires/ referees call

But armchair sports fans don’t want that ...it all really was brought to bear when some dipshit in his armchair in America phoned the networks to say a golfer had touched the ball whilst setting up a shot and that tv peoved it and the player was docked 2 shots he lost it completely....now these armchair wankers run all sport

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
.....and as for the stokes LBW, in the umpires decision and to a lot of people, that ball looked like it was going on down the leg...ok Hawkeye guesses it would have turned and straightened up, but the umpire made the decision that it’s wouldnt have done.

We are in a world where technology is overruling human interaction and the end result of that is there is no umpires or referees, just masses of cameras analysing play and making decisions based on probablility rather than human judgement.

If that is what people want then fine...personally I would do away with all technology and go back to the umpires/ referees call

But armchair sports fans don’t want that ...it all really was brought to bear when some dipshit in his armchair in America phoned the networks to say a golfer had touched the ball whilst setting up a shot and that tv peoved it and the player was docked 2 shots he lost it completely....now these armchair wankers run all sport

In one of yesterdays papers there was a piece about the president of FIFA,, Gianni Infantino who wants to do away with lino's for offside and just use VAR technology. Apparently he has FIFA technical unit looking at the possibility.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

Just to play devils advocate I’m pretty sure a study was done that shows cricket Hawkeye is actually exceptionally accurate, I understand people are wary with regards to it but it’s scientifically proven to be extremely highly accurate. I’m sure I saw a feature once on sky where they set a ball machine up sent the ball down without a batsman and then had the ball machine do exactly the same ball with it striking a pad and it was millimetre accurate.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Just to play devils advocate I’m pretty sure a study was done that shows cricket Hawkeye is actually exceptionally accurate, I understand people are wary with regards to it but it’s scientifically proven to be extremely highly accurate. I’m sure I saw a feature once on sky where they set a ball machine up sent the ball down without a batsman and then had the ball machine do exactly the same ball with it striking a pad and it was millimetre accurate.

Personally I believe it is 99% accurate, it just makes decision makers lazy though.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
But that is my whole point. The way I was brought up to play cricket was that the benefit of the doubt was to the batsman...there is therefore a 1% chance that the ball would miss the stumps. In fact look at the times that the ball in on a length, left alone and the ball clears middle stump!

As I said I would only give LBWs if a player was going back an it hit him in line with the stumps no higher than the knee roll. That was as sure as I could be. People knew when I was umpiring that there was no point yelling for a possibility and the game was played taking that into account. Nowadays players call for reviews ( like the Aussie cock up) on the chance that they are out...bairstow is the worst for that as he thinks every ball that hits the pads is going to be out.

For footy, if they are thinking about doing away with Lino’s, then what happens to throw ins...will we have a stoppage for a throw in to be reviewed? Football is going the wrong way fast!

Personally I believe it is 99% accurate, it just makes decision makers lazy though.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Bairstow is the worst for that as he thinks every ball that hits the pads is going to be out.

Broad surely? He wants a review every time he hits the pads and reviews every time he's out - he reviewed yesterday when it hit his ankle in front of middle - the plumbest LBW of the game

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
True!
Broad surely? He wants a review every time he hits the pads and reviews every time he's out - he reviewed yesterday when it hit his ankle in front of middle - the plumbest LBW of the game

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
But that is my whole point. The way I was brought up to play cricket was that the benefit of the doubt was to the batsman...there is therefore a 1% chance that the ball would miss the stumps. In fact look at the times that the ball in on a length, left alone and the ball clears middle stump!

As I said I would only give LBWs if a player was going back an it hit him in line with the stumps no higher than the knee roll. That was as sure as I could be. People knew when I was umpiring that there was no point yelling for a possibility and the game was played taking that into account. Nowadays players call for reviews ( like the Aussie cock up) on the chance that they are out...bairstow is the worst for that as he thinks every ball that hits the pads is going to be out.

For footy, if they are thinking about doing away with Lino’s, then what happens to throw ins...will we have a stoppage for a throw in to be reviewed? Football is going the wrong way fast!

As an opening bowler, I’d have ****ing hated you umpiring me then! A little prod forward and you would have turned my appeal down, I’d have been fuming :laugh:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
And Stokes would have been plum and called pre technology. But if we get those calls I'll take it against a country of cheats any day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here