Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England vs Australia Third Ashes Test - Leeds 22nd-26th August 2019

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 5, 2014
So to the third encounter.

Australia, without Steve Smith who has 35% of their series runs, will look for batting inspiration from his failing counterparts. Warner needs a break to pull into form and surely Bancroft will know that his place is under threat from Marcus Harris.

Batting wise, England just need inspiration from one of the weakest line ups of recent times. Bairstow's recent contributions will hopefully offer encouragement but captain Root needs to lead from the front. Rory Burns, despite a wanting technique and some hollow Aussie hands, has a century and a fifty to his name. So it is Jason Roy who is in the spotlight. The England camp has conceded that his spot as opener is somewhat miss-judged so will we see Denly promoted ? Will we see Pope or Sibley get the call ? Unlikely, but if Roy fails again, with the admission that he is being wrongly employed, questions must surely be asked.

Both sides are brimming with confidence in the bowling department- and Leeds often offers assistance to the pacers. Headingley is not the batsman's graveyard it once was but it would be a surprise not to see a covering of grass on the pitch tomorrow. When England played Sri Lanka here in the World Cup the pitch was slow and unresponsive. That may not go down well with the administrators if repeated..Expect, unless there is a last minute hiccup, for England to be unchanged. Sam Curran bowled well here last year but there is unlikely to be a tactical move. Australia have hinted at a bowling change which could see James Pattinson in for Siddle, although surely Mitchell Starc would be an option- a bowler who can be quicker the Archer on his day.

Five days set fair, possible cloud cover for the first two. The meek temptation may be to bowl first, as Headingley often flattens out and with sunny weather and cracks up later, but either way with the frailty of both line ups this may not be a run fest.

Odds:

England 4/6
Draw 7/1
Australia 11/5

For me, If Starc plays the Australian odds look tempting. But their batting is fragile and hopefully Root and Bairstow can shine in their backyard. Come on England !

BL

Last edited:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Just watched the KP documentary/interview on Sky. Showed him getting the shit kicked out of him by Lee's bowling back in 2005 at the Oval. No complaints from the England squad though.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Just watched the KP documentary/interview on Sky. Showed him getting the shit kicked out of him by Lee's bowling back in 2005 at the Oval. No complaints from the England squad though.
Surely you're mistaken? Surely they said he should be careful, and not be allowed to bowl bouncers?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Lee and Shoaib Ahktar the two fastest bowlers I have seen live, both at Hove funnily enough, both mid 2000's.

From memory Ahktar was playing for Worcester and an edge went for six!

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Lee and Shoaib Ahktar the two fastest bowlers I have seen live, both at Hove funnily enough, both mid 2000's.

From memory Ahktar was playing for Worcester and an edge went for six!

Lee in his pomp was great.
Still can’t get my head around how easy it looks for Archer though- both the above used to HURL themselves at the bowler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Australia, without Steve Smith who has 35% of their series runs, will look for batting inspiration from his failing counterparts. Warner needs a break to pull into form and surely Bancroft will know that his place is under threat from Marcus Harris.

Batting wise, England just need inspiration from one of the weakest line ups of recent times. Bairstow's recent contributions will hopefully offer encouragement but captain Root needs to lead from the front. Rory Burns, despite a wanting technique and some hollow Aussie hands, has a century and a fifty to his name. So it is Jason Roy who is in the spotlight. The England camp has conceded that his spot as opener is somewhat miss-judged so will we see Denly promoted ? Will we see Pope or Sibley get the call ? Unlikely, but if Roy fails again, with the admission that he is being wrongly employed, questions must surely be asked.

Both sides are brimming with confidence in the bowling department- and Leeds often offers assistance to the pacers. Headingley is not the batsman's graveyard it once was but it would be a surprise not to see a covering of grass on the pitch tomorrow. When England played Sri Lanka here in the World Cup the pitch was slow and unresponsive. That may not go down well with the administrators if repeated..Expect, unless there is a last minute hiccup, for England to be unchanged. Sam Curran bowled well here last year but there is unlikely to be a tactical move. Australia have hinted at a bowling change which could see James Pattinson in for Siddle, although surely Mitchell Starc would be an option- a bowler who can be quicker the Archer on his day.

Five days set fair, possible cloud cover for the first two. The meek temptation may be to bowl first, as Headingley often flattens out and with sunny weather and cracks up later, but either way with the frailty of both line ups this may not be a run fest.

Odds:

England 4/6
Draw 7/1
Australia 11/5

For me, If Starc plays the Australian odds look tempting. But their batting is fragile and hopefully Root and Bairstow can shine in their backyard. Come on England !

BL

Should be a belter. Bairstow and Root playing in front of their own. Century from one or the other (preferably both)?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Rumour is that Harris is in - Bancroft looks like a walking wicket (you could say the same about Warner but we know that he could come good, Bancroft hasn't done anything of note)

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Congratulations on starting possibly the earliest match day thread, at 3 minutes in to the day of the match :lolol:

Pleased we are back to Thursday starts rather than Wednesday like last week. WFH Thursday & Friday so I get to see day1 :thumbsup:

Eeyore

Apr 5, 2014
Rumour is that Harris is in - Bancroft looks like a walking wicket (you could say the same about Warner but we know that he could come good, Bancroft hasn't done anything of note)

Makes sense. Harris will have Smith's absence to thank for that. Labuschagne can slot in at four and Khawaja keeps his number rather than opening. Langer knows Harris well from when he was at WA.

A1X

Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Congratulations on starting possibly the earliest match day thread, at 3 minutes in to the day of the match :lolol:

Pleased we are back to Thursday starts rather than Wednesday like last week. WFH Thursday & Friday so I get to see day1 :thumbsup:

I really don't get why they've gone Wednesday then Thursday rather than Thursday then Friday for these two tests, surely it makes sense to have days 2-4 over the Bank Holiday given the likelihood of the match being finished by Day 5 meaning you lose a Bank Holiday's viewing?

Eeyore

Apr 5, 2014

I get rather excited on an Ashes morning !

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I really don't get why they've gone Wednesday then Thursday rather than Thursday then Friday for these two tests, surely it makes sense to have days 2-4 over the Bank Holiday given the likelihood of the match being finished by Day 5 meaning you lose a Bank Holiday's viewing?

I see what you're saying, but if it did go to a day 5 thriller, would they really want that on a Tuesday?

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Really looking forward to this, think the teams are very evenly matched without Smith who is a freak. Somehow ended up working from home today :)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Have to win this one, given half of Australia's batting is out with a concussion. Absolutely vital Test.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was pleased to read that Marcus Trethscothick was helping out in the nets. Hopefully teaching the batsmen how to bat for a length of time rather than 10 overs. Not so glad to read it was from his throw that Roy was hit on the head.

Slightly OT but should Roy suffer concussion when fielding after the ball hitting his head could they bring Trescothick in as the substitute batsman or does the substitute have to come from those that have been named in the initial squad?

Last edited:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Have to win this one, given half of Australia's batting is out with a concussion. Absolutely vital Test.

Think we should be good for this one, weather allowing. Archer has my neighbours rattled, no Captain Sandpaper, and a very partisan Yorkshire crowd.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I was pleased to read that Marcus Trethscothick was helping out in the nets. Hopefully teaching the batsmen how to bat for a length of time rather than 10 overs. Not so glad to read it was from his throw that Roy was hit on the head.

Slightly OT but should Roy suffer concussion when fielding after the ball hitting his head could they bring Trescothick in as the substitute batsman or does he have to have been named in the initial squad?

You are aware he hasn't played Test cricket for 13 years?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here