Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England vs Australia Third Ashes Test - Leeds 22nd-26th August 2019

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
One innings match, Australia 116/0 essentially.

Ashes are gone. Sad. Have to feel this shambles has something to do with how much emphasis the ECB put on the World Cup/one day game.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's not like the wicket is a minefield ? There go The Ashes anyway, might as well make BG head of selectors oh, and catering.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Our senior batters can **** off. We are now relying on a West Indian kid to retrieve some kind of dignity out of this farce. It’s embarrassing. Anyone who hides can go IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
One innings match, Australia 116/0 essentially.

Ashes are gone. Sad. Have to feel this shambles has something to do with how much emphasis the ECB put on the World Cup/one day game.

Barely any cricket played in good batting conditions in this country. All the Champ stuff is in April/May/June and September when big scores are rare and hard to come by.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
And give the captaincy to Broad- didn’t think he still had it in him but he’s been excellent.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Problem is I don’t see us chasing 200-250 so even if we skittle them, it’s just all on the bowlers. You can sense the frustration in Broad, understandably so must be so frustrating to constantly be let down by your batsman.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
At least Warner is still utter shite. **** off cheating prick.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The Ashes aren't gone just yet, we have Archer and Broad and 3 or 4 batsmen are playing for their place in the test side. They should be getting the hairdryer treatment.

The test averages coming into this series prove that Root, Bairstow, Stokes, Broad, Woakes at home are all quality players, Archer is the real deal while Roy and Buttler should have the talent to do a job. This is the biggest sporting handover I can ever remember, it's like the whole set-up has collectively switched off since winning the World Cup.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
How much did England have to make to avoid following on? Was it the case that Australia could have enforced the follow-on, and they chose not to?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
The Ashes aren't gone just yet, we have Archer and Broad and 3 or 4 batsmen are playing for their place in the test side. They should be getting the hairdryer treatment.

The test averages coming into this series prove that Root, Bairstow, Stokes, Broad, Woakes at home are all quality players, Archer is the real deal while Roy and Buttler should have the talent to do a job. This is the biggest sporting handover I can ever remember, it's like the whole set-up has collectively switched off since winning the World Cup.

The ECB hardly made a secret of the fact they were putting all their eggs in the World Cup basket, I’m absolutely convinced the World Cup and one day focus has been the main cause behind this debacle. Money talks, and the one day game is where the money is, so no surprise to see the lack of thought going into the test side of it.

The whole setup is a disgrace, it filters through to the county game as well, says it all we have this shambolic batting line up but we literally have nobody to replace these ill disciplined morons

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
How much did England have to make to avoid following on? Was it the case that Australia could have enforced the follow-on, and they chose not to?

Lead has to be 200+ for a 5 day match I think, so it was never an option with Aus scoring only 179

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

The follow on in Test Cricket is usually 200 I believe ?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The ECB hardly made a secret of the fact they were putting all their eggs in the World Cup basket, I’m absolutely convinced the World Cup and one day focus has been the main cause behind this debacle. Money talks, and the one day game is where the money is, so no surprise to see the lack of thought going into the test side of it.

The whole setup is a disgrace, it filters through to the county game as well, says it all we have this shambolic batting line up but we literally have nobody to replace these ill disciplined morons

England keep going back to the one day side to paper over the cracks of the test team and eventually the one-day side will be dragged down.

We are a nation with plenty of players to choose from. It shouldn't be hard to spot a Boycott from a Lamb at an early age and manage the development of these players accordingly. From the outside it looks as though the counties have gone 'all in' on one-day cricket and the longer format of the game has been severely neglected.

And it's not just England either. This Australian side is pretty ordinary. In a historic context I liken this Ashes to a 2019 Old Firm derby. Yes, there are two huge teams and loads of interest, but the quality of the sides is not what it was.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Let's be positive...

1. Australia were 43-8 yesterday afternoon.
2. There's only been one partnership of any note at all in this entire test.

(They're going to put up 500-5 declared, aren't they?)

I'd be surprised. I'd only expect run fests when the series is a dead rubber. Which should be sometime this weekend...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here